Sign in to follow this  
arctjg

92852 Burrowing Horror

I am rather new to the miniature painting hobby and this is my first work in progress post but I am having a few issues with this miniature and was looking for some input.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make the eye's pop a little more. The figure has such tiny eyes I was wondering if maybe doing some kind of shading around the eyes would help. (What color that would be is anyone's guess.) In addition I do not like how the wash turned out it seems to have pooled badly in a few places. Should I go back over it with the original color and try the wash again? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

post-13077-0-04948000-1424276496_thumb.jpg

post-13077-0-91324500-1424276497_thumb.jpg

post-13077-0-40470200-1424276501_thumb.jpg

post-13077-0-07140800-1424276504_thumb.jpg

post-13077-0-45290300-1424276505_thumb.jpg

Edited by arctjg
  • Like 13

It's a burrowing creature... so eyes aren't important.

Seriously I don't see where they are.

You could try lining them with a dark color and then adding a reflection.

Maybe choosing a color that stands out like a blue?

I think with that mini it's just going to be difficult because they are small eyes hidden by a large plating

• Like 1

I think it looks great. Personally, I wouldn't repaint him as animals (and animal-like monsters) look great when they aren't perfectly uniform.

Note for the future, you can use a damp brush to wick up excess paint to prevent pooling. I find this easier with larger brushes since they can hold more liquid.

As for ideas to pop the eyes, lining the eyes helps them stand out. In this guy's case, you would probably want a dark brown, maybe black. I personally prefer to line with the darkest color I used on the face, unless they have eye lashes, then I use something almost black. It looks like his eye probably has his darkest color around it though. Adding the white of the eye would add contrast since the mini is dark, but not every creature has visible whites. Adding the pupil and a highlight would help define it as an eye. Both of the last two are hard to do if you haven't developed good brush control yet though. Using some gloss varnish on the eye when the rest of the minis matte, will also help it stand out.

You could use a dark brown around the eyes- like walnut brown, and then a lighter shade on the eye itself, like a bright red or yellow.  that would give it more contrast and make it stand out.  Great job!!!  Keep up the good work!

• Like 2