Sign in to follow this  
Snowcone

First Minis - 77018: Skeletal Archer; 77042: Orc Marauder; 77085 Townsfolk Wench

The wench's face already looks better than mine looked for years...

But, two fairly easy suggestions: At the stage you're at in this picture, the next step would be to trim the bottom of the eye to size by carefully painting a line of your skin shadow color across the bottom. Also, with her dark hair, her eyebrows could be more prominent, so two careful arcs above the eyes using the base hair color.

• Like 1

The wench's face already looks better than mine looked for years...

But, two fairly easy suggestions: At the stage you're at in this picture, the next step would be to trim the bottom of the eye to size by carefully painting a line of your skin shadow color across the bottom. Also, with her dark hair, her eyebrows could be more prominent, so two careful arcs above the eyes using the base hair color.

Thanks! I covered up my first attempt that looked incredibly splotchy. 

I actually didn't add any eyebrows. I felt like whatever I did would just turn into a mess. Maybe I'll give it a try later tonight. I trimmed the eye a little bit with the skin tone, but it was difficult to see how far I should go. Now I understand why so many people use magnification while painting. I also want to play with lining the eyes, but there wasn't a clear indention of where the eyes belong. I hope to set up better lighting this week in my work space. 

I need to get a few more skin tones. I mixed the darkest color, but didn't remember which colors I used when redoing the face.

Huh, I have a different third mini.  I've got a armored knight.

But yours look good.

Thanks!

The bar wench didn't actually come with the kit. I suppose I could have made that clearer in the first post. I picked her up from a discount bin. She seemed nice and simple. I went ahead and painted her before the knight because I wanted to play with color. I'm not sure when I'll get around to painting him.

• Like 2

Great work. Nice clean lines.

You've got really good brush control, which is one thing a lot of people struggle with when just starting out (particularly if they're not used to holding a paintbrush.. Do you have some kind of art or hobby background?).

A lot of new painters try to rush ahead, eager to start trying new techniques without bothering to put in the practice to truly master the "basics", like good brush control and nice clean lines. Which, ultimately, is the foundation for any good paint job on a mini.

Looks like you're off to a good start, though.

Skimming through a book or two on basic drawing techniques will help a lot with understanding the anatomy of the face, particularly with understanding the right size, shape and arrangement of the features in relation to each other, which is helpful when those details may or may not be all that clear on a miniature. (If you ever acquire some of the older miniatures from back in the early days of the '70's or '80's, you may have a tough time trying to figure out where the face is, nevermind the eyes, lol.)

Bit of cautionary advice:

You may have gotten a bit bored by the "paint-by-numbers" feel of the LTPK, but as you advance in your skill level quite a bit of painting a really complex mini with lots of details like a dragon or something eventually really does come down to making sure you painted all the numbers in order and didn't skip a step here or there, so that you decide you're finished with it and then realize you forgot to paint some little bit of it or screwed something up when you go to take a picture of it. It always seem to be the small errors that really pop out and throw off the quality of the painting, lol - you wouldn't believe how many times people who've been painting for decades post pictures of our work on this forum only to have blatant rookie mistakes (that we completely missed) pointed out to us by other people who saw them immediately...

The temptation to "half-arse" some bit of painting that's boring you can be strong - especially amongst those who start off with a fair amount of painting talent, but learning early in the game to give everything it's due diligence will pay off. It's a good habit to get into as a new painter to make sure you take the time to mentally run through your "checklist" as you're working, examining each painted part with a critical eye at every finished stage, because (A - Half of of any good paint job is taking the time to go back and correct minor errors, which is generally easier while you're in the middle of painting that particular part, and (B. Eventually it becomes second nature to do so, and you spend less of your painting time doing so because you start to see those errors while you're making them and thus make fewer and smaller errors.

In any event, keep up the good work (and good working habits) and we're looking forward to seeing your next piece.

Welcome to the hobby!

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

Thanks!

Those are some great tips. The bored part and paint by numbers feeling comes more from being told where and exactly what color to paint each section. I picked up the kit because I thought the directions would be helpful (they were!), and so I wouldn't have to worry things like color or messing up minis I liked. Here is the next mini that I painted. I've watched a few videos and enjoyed trying out glazing. 

I do actually have a degree in fiber art, but I haven't used it for awhile. I did minimal drawing and painting in college, and disliked it. I mostly dyed fabric and made sculptures. I'm also a color theory geek, which makes my wallet sad when I keep picking up new paint colors every time I go to the store. In the art world my big focuses have been color transitions and shading. I'm trying to bring that into minis. It's a very different way of working, so it will take some experimentation. 

I'm a perfectionist, so I have to force myself to put the minis down before I go overboard. I think you're right about studying faces. It would help to look at photos of faces and other painted minis next time. I'm learning to start with the face to get the hard part finished first. I'm just starting to paint Arcadia Quest minis, and they're so much easier with the large and clearly defined features! Board game minis are the main reason I became interested in the hobby. I want my board game minis to be a higher quality than just a quick paint job and wash. I'm learning that I enjoy painting the Reaper minis as well. 

• Like 1