Sign in to follow this  
SGHawkins09

SGHawkins vs ReaperCon, Friends, and Fun

Awesome!!!  I love the flowers- they look perfect and the sculpting is nice and sharp!

Thanks! I really tried to do them like you do but I could not grasp it. I am thinking of tracking you down at con and have you demonstrate.

Little, by little, things are getting done. I did the calculations and I actually think I can get everything done. I only have a few small updates for today and I need everyone's opinion on the diorama mock-up.

First we have two bases, Magda's and Tinley's. Magda's is as done as it can be for now. Once she is on it, it will get some snow and icicles. Tinley's wall is done and the rose vine is painted black. Next step will be the actually color on the rose vine.

post-13093-0-73258300-1427599058_thumb.jpg

I did some more work on the DS mini and actually got her face done. You will note the her torso is a different color then her skin, the model is sculpted topless but I am painting is as a skin-tight top. I am going to try to do a herringbone design to give it texture but we will see if I can pull it off.

post-13093-0-55519900-1427599083_thumb.jpg

Now on to the diorama. I sculpted the walls with air dry clay, painted them black, and hit them with some technical paint. I built a bookcase, desk/table, shelf, and bench. I got some color on both minis but not much. Below is the layout that I am thinking of. I leaning towards the title ,The Messenger" or the "Message" because you if you look closely the female mini has a scroll in her hand. So the story is the the knight has arrived to either deliver or pick up a message from his queen, hence the kneeling.

What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

post-13093-0-44971000-1427599036_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I'd be happy to show you!  I made a few extras to give out so I'll bring them to reapercon!

Maybe a map on the table, paper scattered on the floor, an overturned glass, a rug on the floor?  Do you want to scene to look urgent or relaxed?  I like urgency- it seems to strengthen a story.  Great carpentry! 

• Like 4

I like Corporea's suggestion and if you go with it, I would place the female just in front of the table.    She does not look like she is in charge tucked back in the corner where you have her now.

:devil:

• Like 1

It is a good suggestion and I had ment to position her closer to the table to it would seem like she just finished writing the message and turned around when the knight entered. Some elements are atill missing, there will be a tapestry on the wall without the table and the shelf will be above the table and slightly to the side. I also have the bits below, some of which I am planning on using. I like the scattered papers idea with an overturned goblet and I keep meaning to go to Hobby Lobby to check out some dollhouse rugs.

post-13093-0-68319800-1427654437.jpg

• Like 6

I was not sure if I could do it, but I got Betty done, at least I think so. I do need everyone's opinion on something. I decided to do a little OSL on her gun and need some input. What do you think?

post-13093-0-04153700-1427677703_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Very nice!  I agree with Corporea that some maps/rugs/tapestries would be a nice touch and fill a lot of the empty space that is there currently. I'm not entirely convinced personally about the scattered papers/overturned goblet myself, unless she had just had a tantrum about the current state of affairs. I guess those things would make me think more of a struggle.

• Like 1

The gun looks great.

Thanks. I did tweak it a little and I think it looks a little better.

Very nice!  I agree with Corporea that some maps/rugs/tapestries would be a nice touch and fill a lot of the empty space that is there currently. I'm not entirely convinced personally about the scattered papers/overturned goblet myself, unless she had just had a tantrum about the current state of affairs. I guess those things would make me think more of a struggle.

Good point, I will have to play around and see what I like. I am thinking of doing the map in a frame on the wall above the table to leave room for papers, a goblet, and the candelabra.

• Like 2

Just thought I'd chime in that you have some really great work going on here.  Basing is one of my weak points, but I really like the way this is going.  With all that empty space on the base it might help to ask yourself what kind of message is being delivered.  It might help you decide what to fill up the space with to tell your story.

• Like 1

Nearing the end with the DS miniature. Her hair and coat are now done and I put the white on the top. I just have to finish the top, guns, pants, and boots. I am really happy with how the coat turned out. I also did a test with my carry case to make sure everything will fit and it does, barely.

post-13093-0-02147700-1428114136_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-47605900-1428114386_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-08068000-1428114406_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-18565600-1428114429_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Well, I am starting to get to the point where I hate my entries and think they suck. The Sci-Fi babe's guns were driving me crazy and I had to call them done before I screwed them up too much. Her base is done and I will be attaching her to it tomorrow and will try to remember to get pictures. Started basing Tinley and did a little more work on her face and a little more and a little more. Now I feel maybe I should not have touched it again and should have just left it alone. But she is now to the point where I can consider her to be 100% done and so I am not allowed to remove her from my display cabinet until the night before. Betty is also based and once I get the base painted black she will also be done. I did do another highlight on the purple and am happy with her. I think I am going to leave her little friend out as I like the simplicity. So the next two weeks will be focused on the diorama and the commissioned pieces so I can have some extra spending money at Con.

Any input would be appreciated, as it stands now I hope to get bronze.

post-13093-0-51527300-1428718008_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-41450400-1428718033_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-82595700-1428718060_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-92247900-1428717968_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Tinley is lovely. The scifi gun isn't bad, just some light touch ups. Don't get discouraged!

Her gun isn't the problem, well it was but it has grown on me. It is the other one's guns. I limited the metallics I could use to try to make it Sci-Fi rather then steampunk but it was not working out like I hoped.

• Like 1

Well, I am starting to get to the point where I hate my entries and think they suck. The Sci-Fi babe's guns were driving me crazy and I had to call them done before I screwed them up too much. Her base is done and I will be attaching her to it tomorrow and will try to remember to get pictures. Started basing Tinley and did a little more work on her face and a little more and a little more. Now I feel maybe I should not have touched it again and should have just left it alone. But she is now to the point where I can consider her to be 100% done and so I am not allowed to remove her from my display cabinet until the night before.

I completely understand the feeling of just needing to move on as I usually get to this point on every mini and typically do just that or I just rush the end and later wish I hadnt. However instead of leaving them until the night before in your cabinet, may I suggest a few days before after not having looked at them for awhile, go over them once more and make sure there are no touch ups you may like to do. I find time away may make you feel better and better capable of seeing a problem you may feel brave enough to fix.

Although I must say they all are really coming together well. I just love your butterfly with Tinley. The red roses really set off her blue dress and blonde hair. Betty is quite pretty and the purple looks great. Her face looks great as does her tummy. I look forward to seeing them in person.

• Like 3