Sign in to follow this  
skippen

30014: The Grudge

Well, on the heels of Ghengis Con, like many, I was excited to paint even more.  So a couple days ago I started on my first bust, The Grudge by Jason Wiebe (who I got to chat with again at Ghengis Con again this year).  So far, I am quite happy with it.  It is odd being in a place where you are often happy with your work now.  Of course I lots to improve like we all do, but being happy with something I painted and not finding just flaws is a nice thing.

Last night, I set down to pain the basecoast of the studded armor (or that is what I decided it was going to be), and pretty much finished it (studs are just baseboated).

post-4771-0-99514500-1424443481_thumb.jpg

post-4771-0-05535200-1424443548_thumb.jpg

Edited by skippen
  • Like 14

Some progress.  I tried the "salt" method chipping on the pauldrons, and I had moderate success.  I don't love it, but I don't hate it.  More has to do with the undercoating.  The beard is frustrating me.  I just can't get the depth I want on it yet.  And there is a lot of it, and it is important.  Really frustrating me right now.  Might need to put him down a bit and work on something else for a bit.

post-4771-0-06894700-1424670918_thumb.jpg

post-4771-0-00713200-1424670931_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks!  I am extremely happy with the leather.  The hair is driving me nuts.  I have painted grey dwarf hair before with great success but on something far smaller.

• Like 1

Some more work, some more frustration with the beard.  I may have to abandon grey.  Sniff.  It feels like defeat, but I am not making progress that I am happy about.

wpid-wp-1425348707381.jpg?w=640

wpid-wp-1425348673041.jpg?w=640

• Like 6

Well, like all things, I wasted a good portion of an entire month, so despite grand plans, I only will have The Grudge as a new entry at ReaperCon.  Here are a couple quick shots I took last night.  As is the the theme with this piece, still not happy with the beard, but at some point, I have to let it go.  I am almost done.  A good session tonight, and I will have to call it complete.  I MIGHT tweak here and there are the Con, but I don't really want to.  My time is already allocated there, and I don't want to worry about this.

Here are a couple very quick shots I took at home with the phone.

img_20150427_201116.jpg?w=640

img_20150427_201104.jpg?w=640

Edited by skippen
  • Like 9

Nice!  He's a very characterful piece and will be tons of fun to see at the con!

Thanks.  Tonight will be last and final work on him, and then I will just have to call him done.  I expect this will be a piece that I don't love in the end.  Hopefully, I will change my mind in the end.  But the grey hair has been a big battle that I think I have lost.  I have painted grey hair before and sucessfully. I guess it is not meant to be on this one. I  should have taken Heisler's advice, and just scrapped it, but I wanted a grizzled veteran.

I feel your pain; there have been multiple points on this last piece of mine where I have just finished with a color or area and thought to myself "that's ugly as sin!"  But then as it sits on my shelf between painting sessions, I get to take the mini in as a whole more, and I gradually forget about the tiny blemishes and imperfections that so negatively impact my view of the mini.  Basically, I usually need a short period of healing forgetfulness before I can fully appreciate my own work, so hopefully that's all you need as well!  ::):

• Like 2

I hope so as well.  If I were to re-do it, I think I would patch a lot of the deep grooves with green stuff.  I love this sculpt, but what I think is killing me is all the deep, deep grooves in the hair.  Grey never usually throws me this much, but for some reason this time around it has.  Regardless, this one has been fun.  There is stuff on here that I am quite happy with.  I love how the leader turned out (need to remember my recipe--wasn't too much).  I am ecstatic with the leather.

• Like 1

Hate this beard.  Hate.  Time to move on.  The only way I can see truly improving it involves starting over on it and re-doing it.  Not gonna happen this time around.  I will see what others think at Reaper Con. :D