Sign in to follow this  
CAVBOSS

CAV: SO Friday Feature [2/20/2015]

Welcome the Friday Feature for 20 February, 2015!

First up, the CAV: Strike Operations Quick-Start Rules!

QUICKSTART.jpg

The CAV: SO Quick-Start Rules feature optimized rules to help you learn the basic concepts involved while playing your first game. Centered around the Dictator CAV, players will each play one of the feared Rach Empire machines as they pilot it into combat! Model cut-outs and data cards are included for play.

High-Res Version (19 MB) (for printing): CAV: SO Quick-Start Rules PDF

Low-Res Version (15 MB) (for viewing): CAV: SO Quick-Start Rules PDF

We also have the Marker/Counter Cards now available:

MARKERS1.jpgMARKERS2.jpg

CAV: SO Markers/Counters PDF

and

Mission/Scenario Cards. Designed for players to have a quick way to pick random scenarios to play as well as blank ones for your own designs!

MISSIONCARDS1.jpg

CAV: SO Mission/Scenario Cards PDF

Enjoy!

Edited by CAVBOSS
  • Like 6

I take that back, both of the rules files were broken and wouldn't open. I eventually got the low res file by opening the pdf viewer in another tab and waiting for it to finish before downloading.

EDIT: Just checked my Adobe Reader, it's version 11.0.10 and it tells me there are no updates available.

Edited by Brother Jim
  • Like 1

I've checked the downloads on three computers and they are downloading and opening fine. Might be a problem with your downloaded becoming corrupted or an older version of acrobat reader?

I have the latest version of reader, but I do have crappy internet. I couldn't d/l an update for my Mom's computer yesterday.

I'll keep trying periodically, but I will go reboot the router while I'm getting some supper.

I grabbed the counters & low-res version no problem, high-rez not so much - I'm getting about 33 MB of it before the download stops.  Corrupt / broken file...I'll probably just try again later when the tubes aren't so full. 

Pegazus and Last Knight, did you actually open the hirez, because my download folder shows it at 43.3 MB and completed. But when I try to open it, it's at around 3 MB and tells me the file is corrupt.

Normally when a download fails it tells me that in the download folder and gives me a button to re download, but with this file (and the first couple of tries with the lowrez) it didn't.

CAVBoss, have you considered putting these up on DriveThruRPG?

Awesome! Thank you. Any ETA on when the full rule book will be available? Or wave 2 model stats and the pledge manager reopening again for real?

Pegazus and Last Knight, did you actually open the hirez, because my download folder shows it at 43.3 MB and completed. But when I try to open it, it's at around 3 MB and tells me the file is corrupt.

Normally when a download fails it tells me that in the download folder and gives me a button to re download, but with this file (and the first couple of tries with the lowrez) it didn't.

Yup. Looked thru it briefly to the last page. All there.

• Like 1

Im going to break the HiRes up so you can take in smaller bites later today.

The book is at the printer but I haven't got a delivery date yet. I hate to speculate but I pretty confident we should have it back before ReaperCon this year.

Model stats for all of the models in the KS will be available by next Friday.

Pledge Manager: I haven't been told yet as to the ETA.

• Like 4

As I said, I downloaded the lo-res. It works fine.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response, CAVBOSS. Great job on the Quick Start rules, BTW. They look great. Very well laid out. 

I love everything I've seen so far and can't wait to get my hands on the finished book and more models. I've been planning on dropping some more on Rach, but since I have a birthday approaching I'm thinking my present to myself will be to also get enough Terran for a decent army.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Guyscanwefocusplease
      Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I have posted something, but here we go!

I have decided to take a break from my terrans and try something new.  There were several new techniques I had been wanting to try, including camouflage, washes, and edging.  I also wanted more practice with OSL and jeweling now that I had purchased some Matte medium. I had been going back and forth about how I wanted to paint my ritterlich force, when I came across this wonderfully painted starship fleet over at triple zero painting:

https://triplezeropainting.com/category/spaceship-miniatures/brigade-models/oness/

I was blown away by this paint scheme and had wanted to do some camo for awhile, but nothing I had seen so far in the CAV realm really stuck with me.  This was my answer!

I started out by airbrushing my force with Reaper Breonne Blue.  I let it dry and applied the sticky tack as explained in the article, then airbrushed with Ashen Blue.  Note: If you do this, you need to be very careful to make sure the sticky tack is flush against the model, or the top color will bleed underneath.  I had to do a lot of cleaning up, but this is how it turned out:

To get the crevasses nice and dark, I applied a wash of 1:1 navy blue/black, with some water and matte medium to thin it out.  This was my first time applying a wash and I think it came out pretty well (though the photo is crap)

Next came the highlighting.  I don't have a photo of just this phase for the cougar, but here are some Tiamat legs which were my test piece:

Highlights were achieved by mixing each blue with Reaper Misty Grey in a 1:1 ratio, with some matte medium to thin it out once again (that stuff is fantastic!)

I realized almost immediately that I had made a terrible mistake in terms of time commitment... there were so many edges.

However, I think the final product came out pretty darn cool.  I am really proud of this one!

C and C welcome!  I would like to go over the jewling one more time, and if anyone has any recommendations for a good spray matte sealer I am all ears.  Going forward I will be doing these in a more assembly line fashion than one at a time, but  I needed a test piece first :)
    • By Guyscanwefocusplease
      Hey everyone!

Newbie here.  I got the CAV kickstarter box a few weeks ago and have been really itching to paint something with hard lines for once (old 40k tyranid player).  I decided to start with the terrans because I bought planes, tanks, and CAVs from them so it would give me a nice wide range to get comfy with.

I decided on a theme similar to that of the imperial fists from Warhammer 40k- yellow with red accents.  As I went on, however, the scheme changed more and more until it became a much more rugged desert theme.  Take a look:

I didn't choose a very time-efficient painting method (will change that when I paint the Rach), but it does look nice.  I only use regular old craft paint, except for the inks which are GW.  The steps for those interested:

Yellow:
      1) Mix a 3:2 mix of butternut and nutmeg brown to create the base color, which I call "UTF khaki".
      2) After cleaning with soap and water, airbrush everything in a white undercoat (old habits).
      3) Airbrush with UTF khaki.  The badger intro airgun is worth it's weight in gold for the priming alone.
      4) Ink everything up with GW's Reikland fleshshade.  It's a nice red color and give the yellow some depth.
      5) drybrush with UTF khaki to get the midtones back
      6) drybrush with 1:1 UTF khaki : white to get the highlights 

Red:
      1) Paint sections with burgundy.  I realized too late that this burgundy was a "cool red" and didn't sit well on its own with the khaki so I had to change up the highlighting.
      2) Highlight by edging with a 1 : 1 : 1 mix of burgundy, white, and burnt orange.  This makes things a bit warmer and sits better with the khaki.
      3) Paint the star freehand.  This is the 52nd terran legion and I decided to make their symbol a simple white star.

Grey:
      1) Start dark, drybrush lighter.

Lights:

This is my first attempt at object source lighting (OSL).  I was inspired by the NOD-like Rach force paint scheme of Skrill.  Take a look at his awesome work:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68610-cav-so-bones-rach-force-completed-reaper-voodoo-more/

So I decided to go for a bright white light which actually comes off as a light blue.  Multiple light watered down coats.  It is not perfect but it is close enough for tabletop quality and I am excited to get better at it.

C & C welcome!  Lots more will be coming in the weeks going ahead.
    • By Slashhamster
      Here are two CAV Dictators I finished painting up, in honor of the CAV Kickstarter fulfillment completing (...never mind I've had these since the early Ace level shipping....)

I figured a pair of Dictators would be a good starting point since that's what the quick start rules calls for, and the Dictator is easily one of my favorite CAV models. 

I have a real hard time photographing orange/red like this.  For some reason, my camera tends to blow the color out too much.  Oh well, you'll have to believe me the shadows/lining are a bit more pronounced in person.

Hope you like them!

• By CAVBOSS
      Welcome the Friday Feature for 27 February, 2015!

We have been working on the website (www.cavhq.com) and I had hoped it would be further along today as we have a LOT of new Data Cards (everything from the KS plus a couple of more) to put up. Alas that has not happened so I'm going to start loading a few and keep adding to the thread throughout the weekend until they are all up.

Updated Construction Program: CAVCPv1537.zip
      This build includes Data Cards for all of the models featured in the CAV:SO Kickstarter!

NEW CAV: Strike Operations Data Cards!

• By CAVBOSS
      Welcome to the CAV: SO Friday Feature for 23 January, 2015!

Updated the link to the CAV: SO Construction Program with the latest version. This is the final version in regards to any last minute rules tweaks we made before the book went to the printer. I will be updating the existing cards (from earlier Friday Features) with these versions. The main thing to note is the removal of SA: Bulky from Extra-Large Chassis CAV models. Here is a link to it as well:
      CAVCPV1412.zip

Reaper Con 2015 is coming up quick and here are the events we will officially be sponsoring. We hope to see you there!

ReaperCon 2015 CAV: Strike Operations Events

CAV: SO Basic Training
      System: Denebola
      Planet: Hellspire (Denebola II)

Join us as we return to the planet Hellspire along the Terran-Rach border, dropping new recruits into the “fire†as they learn to pilot a CAV for the first time outside the simulators. Drill instructors will be available throughout the show to teach pilots the basic skills required for playing CAV: Strike Operations.

EVENT INFORMATION: No experience required. This event is designed to teach new players the basics in CAV: Strike Operations lasting approximately one-hour for one or more players. All materials provided. Certificates for completing training and prizes will be provided for participants.

EVENT TIMES:
      April 30 12:00-18:00
      May 1 12:00-18:00
      May 2 10:00-18:00
      May 3 NA

CAV: SO Assault on New Memphis
      System: Algorab
      Planet: New Memphis (Algorab III)

ARMICO, a Terran mining company, has struggled to maintain a delicate balance on the desert world of New Memphis with keeping its many mines on the world running at top efficiency and dealing with the religious “cult†that has swept up the majority of the planet’s residents over the last twenty years and now controls the planet’s government.
      The Director of Operations for ARMICO on New Memphis, Amin Maalouf, has been ordered by self-proclaimed “Pharaoh†Atenmest I, to request all of the corporation’s on-planet security forces to return to barracks over the next two days (local time). The 1st Anubis Guards, part of New Memphis’s self-defense force, has begun to move units around the corporation’s holdings claiming previously announced security drills. Tensions are high as Maalouf awaits orders from corporate on how to proceed.

EVENT INFORMATION: Using the CAV: Strike Operations rules, this is an advanced four-hour event for 2-8 players with some experience in playing and will feature multiple models for a player to operate. All materials provided. Prizes provided for all participants.

EVENT TIMES:
      April 30 18:00-22:00
      May 1 13:00-17:00 18:00-22:00
      May 2 13:00-17:00 18:00-22:00
      May 3 NA
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)