D&D After Hours - ReaperCon 2015

ub3r_n3rd

Talking with a few of the fine forum folks whom I consider to be awesome friends and asked the question whether D&D games were going on "after Con" hours in the evenings and where they were meeting up in previous years.

Found out that some people like to hang out in the lobby or outside the convention doors and in hotel rooms to play.

So, this thread is gauge interest in some 'after hours' D&D 5E games with friends/forum members. This is outside of the Con and not Reaper's game in any way, shape, or form. Just friends playing.

I've got the books for 5E (PHB, DMG, and MM) which I'll bring along with me (and some minis hah!). I'd like to gauge interest in seeing how many would want to play and/or DM with me. I don't mind DM'ing a game or two, but I'd also like to play so if there are others that are interested:

Please post whether you'd like to play only or DM as well. I'm thinking one-shot adventures with your pre-made characters and I'll have some pre-generated ones in case you forgot yours or something along those lines.

As far as #'s of people. I'm personally comfortable DM'ing for up to 6 people in a group, any more than that and it bogs down no matter the system IMO.

Anyhow, lets do this and get plans together with characters ready to go beforehand.

ETA - The D&D 5E basic rules are available on the WOTC site for FREE, this has the "basic 4" classes and quick rules.

5E is pretty neat because there are less mechanics to work with such as conditions are always about "advantage/disadvantage" so:

disadvantage = 2 x d20's and you take the lowest roll

advantage = 2x d20's and you take the highest roll

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in!

Like I said in the random thread, I'm not good enough with the mechanics to help out with the DM duties, so I guess just play. If someone can babysit me through the mechanics, I'll DM.

I've got a wizard ready to go.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 1

Assuming I make it (still up in the air ATM) I'm interested.  I can also run an adventure in 5E as well.  I figure I'll at least get through one encounter in my PbP by them and should have the mechanics down by that point (I'll just have to not confuse the rules with one of the other 20 systems I've run).

• Like 2

Assuming I make it (still up in the air ATM) I'm interested.  I can also run an adventure in 5E as well.  I figure I'll at least get through one encounter in my PbP by them and should have the mechanics down by that point (I'll just have to not confuse the rules with one of the other 20 systems I've run).

No worries, I still get the rules confused with all the dang Pathfinder rules I have in my head! They are almost too simple  :lol:

• Like 2

Depending on if there are certain Late Night Fiasco times, you can put me on the DM list.  Been doing 6-7 sessions a month now since August of last year so I can always assist other DM's if they need it.  I think that most of us will be hanging out at that time anyways though.

• Like 4

I am definitely interested. I have not played 5e, but have heard nothing but good things.

Aside: If my playgroup switched to 5e, how obsolete is my pretty-much-complete set of 3.5 books (yes, all but one or two of the non-setting-specific 3.5 books published by WotC are on my shelves now)?

• Like 3

IMHO if this draws too big of a crowd I suggest breaking folks up into groups of 4+DM:

1. Establish who is running the games.
  2. Everybody generates characters.
  3. DM's draw names out of a hat to find out who's in their group.
  4. Sort out no-show's at the convention.
  5. Have a stupidly good time.
  • Like 3