Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

Gnoll Warrior (77012)

I got a chance to paint Tre Manor's Gnoll Warrior, the Bones version. Love this guy--I spotted him when I visited a gaming store that actually keeps Reaper stuff stocked, and he became my first in-store Bones purchase. But, anyway.

I "primed" him with gray liner and went from there. I don't know why I painted him gray instead of brown; because Disney, maybe. I remember those Lion King hyenas as gray, though I'm not even sure of that. But I shot for gray with black trim, such as it is. This was my first time putting gold metallic paint over a dark base, and I absolutely loved that. How metallics go on over this in general is big part of the reason I've shifted to black primer.

Anywho, had fun with this fellow. My wife thought he was really brutal, too, and loved his shield. So when I please the wife in some way, especially with a mini, it's always a bonus.

WP_20150206_029_zps7lhsgk1p.jpg

WP_20150206_030_zpswkllplc0.jpg

WP_20150206_032_zpsivw5ciif.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 14

I saw the first pic and thought "Agh! Too much grey!" but then saw the other pics and saw there was more variation. The silver flail was just blocking off the colors and blending with the grey. I am looking forward to painting this guy when I get my Bones 2 rewards. I love the shield. The hyenas were indeed grey but they also had black spots, maybe you could add a few of those? Good job, I like it.

• Like 1

I saw the first pic and thought "Agh! Too much grey!" but then saw the other pics and saw there was more variation. The silver flail was just blocking off the colors and blending with the grey. I am looking forward to painting this guy when I get my Bones 2 rewards. I love the shield. The hyenas were indeed grey but they also had black spots, maybe you could add a few of those? Good job, I like it.

Yeah, it's worse in the (awful) photos, but I felt it was an issue irl, too, to be honest. I'm thinking I both (a) need to explore the world of metallic paints, as I have exactly one silver and I'm sure people out there sell more and (b) need to work on mixing my paints better in situations like this, as I'm sure I could've altered that gray to make the distinction clearer. I like the idea of spots, too, but I chicken out at anything that close to freehand.

Also looking forward to more of these guys in Bones 2(!).

Thanks muchly for the input.

You could practice dry brushing on your gnoll fur. Pick out something towards the lighter spectrum and brush there. This would allow some distinction between fur and armor. And if you're brave, black lining would help even more to separate the areas. ^__^

• Like 2

For silver I like Leadbelcher from GW. I am not a fan of GW generally but I do like their metallics. I dislike mixing paints too and avoid it whenever possible. The drybrushing idea is good, I agree. I don't think black spots would be difficult freehand. You have to start somewhere, right? Why not with something simple like black splotches that can be any size and shape? You can always cover it up again if you don't like it!

• Like 1

Striped hyenas are grey, so you could try stripes instead of spots. I'm not sure if that would be easier though. Still kind of freehandy.

• Like 1