Dragons Don't Share - Diorama

MagiusDel

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't thought about adding a hoard to the diorama.  I was thinking about this being a situation where the dragon landed to ambush a group of adventurers who were securing the perimeter to prepare camp for the evening (probably in the tower), so adding a hoard wouldn't be a great idea.  However, I could see adding a fire pit to the tower...  You know, I think I may try to do that.

• Like 5

What kind of spray primer will you use? I haven't found one yet that works on Bones, they all stay tacky. I started priming mine with gesso. Also, I thought there was a little hoard in front of the dragon, isn't there? Can't wait for mine to get here, even though I will only be looking at it, don't have the confidence yet.

What kind of spray primer will you use? I haven't found one yet that works on Bones, they all stay tacky. I started priming mine with gesso. Also, I thought there was a little hoard in front of the dragon, isn't there? Can't wait for mine to get here, even though I will only be looking at it, don't have the confidence yet.

Bones can be "primed" with any of the reaper liners or brush on primer (others use krylon or army painter spray primers). Gesso will obscure details as it is thicker and can hurt your brushes as it's much more gritty like sandpaper.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd

As long as the bones are well washed I have yet to see the need for priming.

And I am looking forward to this! This project sits well ask on my to do list so I can't wait to see some one take this on.

I do love this dragons expression; you can just see that he has just woken up, come upstairs to discover his lair has adventurers. He Shouldn't have to deal with this kind of aggravation!

I'll enjoy watching this!

• Like 1

Hey, everyone.  I'm definitely glad to see the response this thing has been getting!  I've gotten the plaster sealed and the sand on the base.  I've cast and added some plaster rocks to add some variety to the more open areas of the base, splashed on the paint to provide a bit of a protective layer, and glued the sand to the base - which means that it's time to get the thing primed next time it's warm enough.  Then the real work begins, and the paint goes on!

20150222_1912371_zps96ed3bd3.jpg

• Like 14

A couple of steps finished today, with app. 1.5 hours of work - I have the figure primed, and the dragon mostly painted.  I haven't been able to get my hands on a good campfire model yet, but that can wait until toward the end (and I may just set up a base so I can swap between that and one of those tea lights).  Once I have the ground painted, I'm going to add on some orange/yellow paint to make it look like the appropriate areas are bathed in firelight - but that is a ways down the road.  For now, take a gander at what has been done:

20150224_1610091_zps4yc144ah.jpg

All primed up - the paint layers will even out the primer stripes.

20150224_1923221_zpsdhkdyd9r.jpg

And the centerpiece mostly painted.  Figure I'd best get him out of the way before I start burning out and start rushing things.

• Like 14