Thanks for the well-wishing, everyone, and it's time for today's update.  Didn't get as much as I'd have liked to have done, but I did get the Fighter/Paladin mostly painted.  Still some touch up that needs to be done - but I'm going to hold off on that until the end of the project so I won't have to constantly fix and refix certain areas.  I'm also going to go to a bit of a different system with the pictures - close up, medium lens, and overall progress.  That way, you all can see both the work put in to the individual pieces and the effect that it has on the overall piece.  And this is not a limited palette piece - I'm looking at 54+ unique color shades over the entire project - mostly in giving each of the heroes a distinct color scheme to really help them stand out.

Anyways, here's the progress I've made:

20150225_2007411_zpsrihwivwp.jpg

The Individual Shot of the Fighter.  I know I missed a bit on the underside of the shield - I'll fix that up in the touchup phase.

20150225_2008031_zpsfjteojwz.jpg

That dragon's certainly not happy to see him - but more touchup needed to fix the thumb claw and add some highlights to the claws in general...

20150225_2008321_zpsbag46nh3.jpg

And the overall view.  No problem seeing the Dragon (obviously) or the Fighter, and I hope that keeps up through the rest of the process.

So, four more posts like this (likely over the weekend), and then three or four more as I paint up the ruins and add grass and details to the surrounding base.  Still a long ways to go, but definitely a solid start.

• Like 12
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A snowy weekend here in the midwest, but that's not keeping me away from this project!  The dwarven cleric has been painted up, and he's definitely in a right predicament.  Now, the most challenging part about this piece in particular is that the dragon really got in the way of painting him up - there were placed I really had to get creative to get my brush in - and, thanks to all the shadows being cast, I couldn't actually see what I was doing most of the time.  But, there's an advantage to working on something this big - because I couldn't be picking it up and twisting it about anyways, it let me use a flashlight in my left hand and the brush in my right, giving me a rather distinctive technique in painting up this piece.  I've also added one more piece to make things easier - a Lazy Susan to set the piece on, making it dirt simple to turn it to look directly at the part I'm fiddling with at the moment.  Now all I need is a new head lamp, and I may be all set for this thing.

And now, the pictures:

20150228_1230191_zpsyrfluc4j.jpg

Our dwarven hero, wondering where that enormous tail just came from...

20150228_1230471_zps5xxju0bt.jpg

And another look at the dragon with the dwarf in view.  You'll get a full view of the thing by the time this is done, and it's certainly very photogenic.

I know I got some paint on the stonework - but that's why I haven't painted those bits up yet.  I have 3 more heroes to go, then it's into that field - and then comes the stone and ground, and it shall be done!  My goodness, this thing will be incredible.  Current work time: Hill - 1 hour, Plaster - 2 hours (had to work multiple times), Sand - .5 hours, Dragon - 1.5 hours, Fighter - 1 hour, Dwarf - 1 hour.  Total: 7 hours.  Estimated: 7 more hours

• Like 9

Have a two-fer for you today.  Got the Archer painted up, and adding a bit of wild flair to the diorama.  Just two more heroes to go, and then on to trying to detail in the stone and ground.  I may even be able to get this wrapped up tomorrow - but more likely, I'll get the stonework started and maybe get some work done on the ground.  I am getting pretty close though:

20150228_2031221_zpsyqjotnz6.jpg

The archer, lining up his shot...

20150228_2031531_zpssncomwlq.jpg

Too bad it looks like it's going a bit high.

Another piece down, and one step closer to completion.  This is a decidedly beautiful sculpt, and I definitely like how the paint is going to it.  Next up, the Sorceress, and finally the Rogue before tying it all together.  Stay tuned!

• Like 7

And here we come to part 4 of the heroes - the Sorceress is lining up for her turn at the dragon, leaving only the Rogue lagging a bit behind.  But I should be able to finish the rogue up in a bit - and then the fun parts begin!  Well, the Stone and Dirt, anyways.  Probably won't finish today, but I am certainly going to try!

20150301_1028461_zps3cvzwei3.jpg

20150301_1029061_zpsydcdcsir.jpg

• Like 9

They are, yes.  Which makes painting some of them up a real pain - but I feel that gluing them in first helps tie them in with the rest of the build, so I'm willing to put up with the extra pain of having to work around the rest of the model (though I really didn't expect to be working on a 23" monstrosity when I glued them on...).  I'm now done with the heroes, though (outside of some touchup later on), and next step is to try to get the buildings painted up.  Speaking of painted...:

20150301_1340101_zpsjy10wgff.jpg

The last of the heroes to be painted, the Rogue is no stranger to danger, as much as she may wish otherwise.

20150301_1340231_zpsoqirqdve.jpg

And, is it obvious yet that I don't like limiting my palette more than I need to?

Edited by MagiusDel
  • Like 7

Another night, and more progress made on the diorama.  I'm really drawing in on the close, now - the initial paint job is on, now I need to add some touch up work, weathering, static grass, highlights from the Dragon's impending fire breath and the heroes' previously set campfire, and we'll be good to go!  Ok, that's actually a pretty decent list of stuff yet to do...

20150303_1907411_zpsxxtcskoc.jpg

Until next time - and I'm really looking forward to getting the finishing touches on this thing!

• Like 7

It is now time for the penultimate post on this project.  I have nearly everything done, save for some final touch ups and sealing the product, and I couldn't be happier with the results:

20150304_1948351_zpsmhlhwnv2.jpg

Feedback appreciated, and I'll likely finish up the last few touches over the weekend - after showing it off at a variety of gaming locales.

• Like 4