Kuro Cleanbrush

Kuro's ReaperCon Project

I really like the change for the walkway stones but I'm not sold on the greenstuff vine on the left hand side now that you have all other plants in. Looks out of place as it's such a different style it's jarring.

Maybe make it look like it's rock and just sculpted into the wall and then add some other plants that are similar to what you have by the bird houses?

• Like 1

The base looks great!  Congratulations on getting promoted to professor (although I do find it somewhat ironic that you were getting clearance to hold off on doing any video for your fanbase, and now you have three classes to prep for in addition to finishing this!). I am inclined to agree with MS on the vine on the left; if looks a bit out of scale compared with all the other plant life in the scene.

• Like 2

I, personally, am not really bothered by the wall vine as I feel it mirrors the smoother texture of the birdhouses, but you guys often have a better sense for these things than I do.  Nevertheless, I am really starting to run up against the clock (I have to travel halfway across the country shortly after getting back from ReaperCon, which itself happens the weekend before my finals week), and so I think I'm going to have to just soldier on for the moment.  I feel bad because I have not integrated as much of everyone's feedback as I'd like to on this piece (leaves for said vine, weathering on the bench, etc.), but I'm still hoping that the whole flavor of the composition will be radically altered by the addition of the focal points, so I want to just press ahead on those while I still have time.

And, @Jabber:  It is totally ironic, isn't it?  ::):  The good news is all of this time in school has made the preparation of notes as easy as breathing, so I should have handouts made for all three classes in less time than it would take for me to shoot one video!

• Like 3

No worries man.  Suggestions are just that, suggestions.  If you get done with the figure early and have spare time it is something you should look at but it's not a deal breaker.  The reason I suggested painting it more like it was painted stone was so you didn't have to spend a lot of time reworking it.

• Like 3

No worries man.  Suggestions are just that, suggestions.  If you get done with the figure early and have spare time it is something you should look at but it's not a deal breaker.  The reason I suggested painting it more like it was painted stone was so you didn't have to spend a lot of time reworking it.

Or potentially just cover it in leaves.

• Like 3

Congratulations on the classes, Kuro!

Do you mind telling us what you used to make the ground-cover foliage and flowers?

• Like 3

I am tempted to over-extend myself to take one of your classes since I watched you teach at Ghengis.

• Like 3

Congratulations on the classes, Kuro!

Do you mind telling us what you used to make the ground-cover foliage and flowers?

Thanks!  The flowers/foliage are a mix of MiniNature and Army Painter products.  The red and purple flowers are MiniNature petunias and heather (respectively) while the little yellow flowers are Army Painter's meadow flowers, and the vines are Army Painter's ivy.  I also threw in a little bit of Army Painter flock (?) and GW static glade grass to fill in the areas between patches of flowers.

I am tempted to over-extend myself to take one of your classes since I watched you teach at Ghengis.

It would be awesome to have you!  ::):

• Like 3

Well, I've been somewhat busy this week and haven't made as much progress as I'd like, but I did finally sit down today and do the conversion work on our violin player!  After the usual removal of the broccoli base, I also removed her hands and staff to make way for her new hands.  Now, I've tried sculpting hands before with limited (very limited) success, so I thought I'd try to use some copper wire as an armature of sorts.  That helped immensely, but I still feel like I didn't quite nail the hands.  They seem a little too large, and I know the relative finger lengths are not spot on.  That being said, I feel like a good coat of paint should do wonders here, and of course I'll use some "skill in a bottle" (a.k.a. Brush-on Sealer) to make up for my poor GS surface texture skills.

Oh, and I also gave her new, larger eyes because those stock Sandra Garrity eyes are just so tiny!

post-7158-0-05151100-1428798770_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-44763300-1428798781_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-06531500-1428798795_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-50809500-1428798806_thumb.jpg

Less than three weeks to go; I'd better kick it into overdrive!

• Like 19

they look great!  Although for some reason the angle on the thumb of the left hand looks odd- not sure why, though.  I wonder if the thumb should bend down at the last joint?  I love the interplay between the bird and the woman!  This is going to be absolutely beautiful!  You can do it!!  keep going!!!

• Like 1

Thanks, and good catch on the thumb!  I'll have to try to bend it a little once the GS is fully cured.

Edit update:  I got it bent into shape, and it does indeed look more lifelike now!

Edited by Kuro Cleanbrush
  • Like 4

Progress!  Unfortunately, also not my proudest blending, but is there ever such a thing as a blending job which one is perfectly happy with?  I will have to try to do the necessary touch ups (like on the right side of the rear photo and the jagged bottom edge of the skirt) next time when my paint is fresh.

post-7158-0-12216200-1429075873_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-79849000-1429075884_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Got some white in that blue dress, LOL. 

Looks good sir, I'm slightly excited to see these two elements combined. :) 

• Like 2