Kuro's ReaperCon Project

@MS and chaoshead:  Thanks for the suggestions, I think I know some ways to act on both suggestions!

Okay, so I officially don't know how Michael Proctor, Corporea, Sirithiel, and all the rest of you amazing basers out there do it; I'm already sick and tired of this base, and I only just started!  Or at least I feel like I just started, but I'm really already 8-10 hours into painting with little to show for it.

post-7158-0-33937700-1427190975_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-35898400-1427190989_thumb.jpg

As things sit right now, I'm fairly happy with the main walls.  I feel like they have just enough color and simulated texture to provide a good backdrop to the scene without going overboard and stealing focus (they are just walls after all).  The pathway is probably about halfway done, but, as it's 4 AM, I've been painting for over six straight hours, and I have no idea what to do to finish it, I figure tomorrow is soon enough.   ::):

As always, any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated, and I could especially use some advice for how to finish painting the pathway!

Oh, and don't worry if the garden dirt color looks off.  The underlying color won't be visible after I finish attaching plants, but I had to slap something down to help me visualize.

• Like 16

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you painted all the stones of the pathway by hand?

Seriously the pathway looks very nice as it is. Maybe even a bit too busy. I see the path as part of the backdrop so it should not be to busy.

The main walls look very nice. What is going to be the colour of the statues?

• Like 2

Great work so far - I can't wait to see the final product.  I like the "busy" pathway as it draws focus to the centre.  However, there are more parts to add to the diorama which could change my opinion.  I trust your artistic eye to make something AWESOME!!!

• Like 1

I take frequent breaks when I get burned out on the base and I work on something else, sometimes leaving them for weeks or longer.  I've also had good success trying to finish them quickly, because then I feel I can push through and accomplish something.  it depends on my mood.  But its true, a large base can be frustrating and overwhelming.  You're doing awesome!!! I love those birdhouses!  For the pathway, maybe glaze some shadows along the edges or where a shadow from your miniature might fall, just to tie it in. 

Keep it up!!!

You can do it!!!

• Like 6

Looking great Kuro! Yes, a detailed base can be an exhausting affair. Like Corporea suggested, taking breaks intermittently helped me as I was working on the Dark Carnivals piece I did a couple of years ago. At that time, I alternated construction and painting to help break up the monotony. Since your construction is largely finished (right?), you might try simply taking a break for a bit. Another option would be to begin taking the smaller elements and finishing them one at a time. It is probably not quite as efficient as batch painting similar objects, but I found thar continuous small completions helped keep the fires burning and not get bogged down in the long road of the entire project.

• Like 4

I watched Ben Komets do bases a few times that are similar to this as it's basically Airbrush base colors and some highlights. Washes, drybrush and then detail what you think needs it like normal. Takes him maybe an hour or two. I've got two of his basing videos (miniature mentor and painting Buddha) and I could shoot one two you as a loan.

• Like 2

I did some more work on the pathway last night, but, as I look at the older pictures, I realize that I may have actually lost some ground.  However, just spending enough time holding the project and trying to put some paint on it is slowly showing me where to go with it, so yesterday's efforts were not totally fruitless.  Now, I believe that I am going to go for more of a sandstone appearance on the statues and remaining stone areas (in answer to minibart's question ::): ), and I will try to tint the stone on the floor away from the green that I ended up with and back toward the red brown I used to have.

@minibart:  Yep, every stone by hand!  :lol:

@Minicannuck:  Thanks!  I am starting to think that it might indeed be too busy, but tonight's efforts should hopefully correct that.

@Corporea and Jabber:  Thanks for the encouragement!  I think I will try to jump around a little on the base, splitting time between detail work and large areas, and hopefully that will keep my motivation up so I can push on to ReaperCon!

@MS:  Just knowing that such a good painter doesn't feel the need to hard-core blend everything on his bases actually helps me feel better for using techniques like drybrushing and stippling, so thanks a bunch!  And I do indeed need to get an airbrush one of these days; my roommate got one a few months ago (for painting things larger than minis), and I've played around with it enough to see how awesome of a tool an airbrush can be.  I just haven't wanted to spend the cash yet...

Edited by Kuro Cleanbrush
  • Like 6

Ya in the Painting Buddha video Ben said the dirty secret of the top tier painters is they drybrush. It's a tool, just like any technique, and you just need to know when to use it and bases, due to stone and other things with rough textures, tend to be where it's used the most.

As for the hard core blending not doing it on things like stone really makes it look better to me as it should be perfectly clean and smooth unless it's polished.

• Like 4

Well, I'm not really sure whether to be completely pleased with this or not.  At this point I kind of feel like it's the rough edges of my sculpted stones that are hurting me more than my painting, but maybe I'm just making stuff up.

All that being said, I like the direction that this change of hue has taken piece, so hopefully everything will start to come together as I keep working.  I feel like adding the flowers will be a huge help, but unfortunately I can't really do that until I have more of the painting done.

Also, I kind of like the little stones in the garden and the touch of character that they add to the piece.  ::):

post-7158-0-62985900-1427343767_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-77865600-1427343780_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-46030500-1427343795_thumb.jpg

Well, I should really do more, but three long nights of painting in a row have caught up with me...

• Like 13

Well, it's past 3 AM, and I just finally finished slapping some paint on those angel statues.  Was cutting into my sleeping time so much worth it?  Only time will tell!

post-7158-0-66655700-1427707444_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-75987700-1427707457_thumb.jpg\

post-7158-0-63998500-1427707470_thumb.jpg

Next thing, though, is probably going to be a redo of the stone pathway; I've just never been too happy with it.  It's probably totally workable, but the putting more paint down has shown me that it isn't quite what I'm aiming for.  ReaperCon is basically only a month away, though, so I need to keep moving!

Also, I've been promising a new tutorial video for some time now, but I keep getting caught up in this project.  Nevertheless, I'm going to try really hard to get a new one out this week, so we'll see what happens.  ::):

• Like 16

Reapercon project first.. we can wait for the tutorial. 

Plus I am not sure what a tutorial you record while suffering from a total lack of sleep will be like....  I expect shaky camera and confused but possibly a very funny host!  :devil:

• Like 4