Kuro's ReaperCon Project

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, well alrighty then:  no tutorial until I finish the project!  ::):  Since I officially have permission now, I can stop feeling guilty for not putting out another video yet and channel that extra energy back into the RCon project!

Looking great!  Those stones are adorable!  for the vines are you going to add birch seed leaves?  that would probably be an easy leafing project.  I can send you some if you don't have any!

Actually, you must have seen into the future and foresaw this day, for you already gave me some at RCon last year!  Adding them to the vine is actually a really good idea (it's looking a little minimalistic and could use some flair), and I'll have to do that as soon as I start adding the greenery!

Also, I think I have this really cool idea for converting a dwarven tankard into a flower-watering pail, so I think I might whip that up real quick.

• Like 8

Well, another late night of painting yielded a little bit of progress on the diorama in the form of some of the accessories:

post-7158-0-40524600-1427965920_thumb.jpg

Nothing too technical, and I'm having to strike a careful balance between achieving quality results and not pouring too much effort into  less important pieces of the composition, but I think things turned out rather neat.

I'm excited to keep working on the little character-adding pieces of the diorama, but I should probably revisit the stone pathway sooner rather than later if I am indeed going to do so.  Either way, though, Easter break means I should hopefully be done with the base by the end of the week!  Or, that's the plan at least; I want to leave plenty of time for me to work on the mini herself as this whole thing is meaningless unless our beautiful mistress of song is a suitable focal point!  ::):

• Like 19

The accessories are looking great! I know you don't want to get caught up too much in the details, but I thought some very subtle weathering on the bench might be a nice touch. Just a hint where some of the paint might have chipped away.

Good idea!  I'll have to put some thought into how best to accomplish that!

• Like 2

Meant to post sooner, but life got in the way.

I LOVE everything you've done with this piece! As fun as the fish-scale pathway was, I think that making the stones more uniform was a good call; otherwise, it would have distracted from the mini (which I'm super excited to see how you're going to convert her!). The pillars will frame her beautifully, and the rim around the top of the wall does a very nice job keeping the focus centered. I like the paint job on the bench, with the gradiation (is that even a word) of the greens along it. I'm also totally loving your bird bath! Will there be a little birdie on it, or would that be too distracting?

Also, HUGE, REALLY AWESOME NEWS:  I am going to be a guest instructor at ReaperCon this year!

SQUEE!!!! :bday: I'm very very happy you said something here, I was so sad that I didn't get a single blending class. And now I get to take a class from you!!! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

The accessories are looking great! I know you don't want to get caught up too much in the details, but I thought some very subtle weathering on the bench might be a nice touch. Just a hint where some of the paint might have chipped away.

Good idea!  I'll have to put some thought into how best to accomplish that!

With something like that I would probably go with a sponge technique to do the chips. The issue will be how much chipping you really want to do. Personally while it would add interest I don't thinks it terribly necessary.

• Like 4

just a little bit of stippling, or as Heisler said, a sponge technique along the leading edge of the bench, where it would get worn with the legs of people standing up and sitting down is all I would think you could try for. I fear any more than that would look out of place, even if it was realistic.

• Like 2

Thanks a bunch, everyone!

@OneBoot:  Awesome!  I can't wait, and I hope you find the class really useful!  ::):

@Willen:  One day we'll meet up at RCon!

@Corporea:  Thanks!  I wish I could have gotten in one of your classes, but everything sold out so quickly!  I can only hope my classes have such good attendance.  ::):

@Heisler and ShadowRaven:  I was thinking about trying something with it, but I ended up gluing it down, and I think I'm going to leave it be at this point.  I really like it's strong colors, and I feel it's simplicity helps set off the other things on the pathway.  If I do decide to add some weathering, though, I will definitely avail myself of this technique!

• Like 3