Kuro's ReaperCon Project

Thanks, everyone!   ::):

I am getting a strong 'Lindsey Stirling" vibe from this piece now

https://youtu.be/xyrnFRghCv4

I'm not gonna lie, Lindsey Stirling is a major inspiration for this piece!  I love her music and even got to see her in concert a couple years ago.  However, I've actually just come to love violin music in general these days, and one of my favorite metal bands features extensive violin and cello work.  The band is known as Lyriel and has frequently served as some inspirational background music for me while I work on this mini (and many others).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_N3umQUhss

Don't ask me to explain what the song is even about (or try to explain the aesthetic they were going for), but the song is pretty awesome!

Edited by Kuro Cleanbrush
  • Like 5

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuro, looking great so far. I love the blue you chose. Quick question when you use green stuff on her eyes how does it blend in and doesn't stand out? The idea intrigues me and may be something I will have to track you down at Reapercon to show me.

• Like 2

Kuro, looking great so far. I love the blue you chose. Quick question when you use green stuff on her eyes how does it blend in and doesn't stand out? The idea intrigues me and may be something I will have to track you down at Reapercon to show me.

Thanks!  I'd be happy to show you how I changed her eyes; it was a lot easier than I was worried it might me and I plan on doing it more in the future now.

The trick is that I actually mostly carved out her original eyes with an Exacto knife prior to using the GS.  Then, I just made a couple of tiny beads of GS and pressed them into place.  My GS texture is never perfect, however, so I had to finish things off with a coat of Brush-on Sealer after everything was fully cured, and I feel like this had the side effect of smoothing the transition between her eyes and their sockets.

• Like 7

Kuro - have you tried using liquid green stuff in the eyes instead of the 2-part? If so, does it work as well?

I've actually never tried liquid GS for anything, but my worry would be that it would form a little bit of a meniscus around the eye socket.  That would effectively make a concave eye instead of the convex eyeball we would be aiming for.

• Like 4

Hmm...I seem to remember dks remodeling some eyeballs on sculpts that were not his. He obviously has a skill set I don't, but I would be curious if he uses putty of some sort or fills the socket in a bit with sealer and uses paint to create the illusion.

• Like 2

A bit more progress!  This face fought me quite hard, actually, but (after I got through the "You want to know how I got these scars?" period that always accompanies me painting smiles) I think it turned out pretty neat.  I like her expression of surprise at the little perched songbird, though I cannot truthfully say that I was aiming for that when I started.  That being said, I feel like half of my painting successes are just re-labeled happy accidents.  ::):

post-7158-0-91300900-1429294888_thumb.jpg

post-7158-0-46707000-1429295026_thumb.jpg

If you're wondering why I didn't paint the entirety of the hands, that is because I plan to give her some purple finger-less gloves.

Moving forward, I'm still trying to decide whether to paint her nails or not, and, if so, what color.  I'm also really considering painting her scarf/shawl (?) as semi-transparent fabric for fun (and also to make it seem a little lighter; it looks pretty cumbersome right now), but we'll see how that goes.  In any case, I know she's going to be a redhead and I further know that I'm going to use some purple on her corset.

In other news:  Less than two weeks before ReaperCon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 17