Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
Hello everyone, here are some ensemble pictures of my entry in the "Dia de los Muertos" Sugar Skull Painting Contest. I had simply posted a closeup photo of the skull for the contest. This is the Bones version of 77116, Colossal Skeleton sculpted by Jason Wiebe. This Undead is Huge, 120mm tall, almost 5 inches. Notice I repositioned its arms and removed the shrouds that were hanging between its legs.
The other elements on the base are from Reaper Miniatures as well. There are 77528, Graveyard Ruined Fences by Bob Ridolfi, a 77531, Graveyard Fence Post and 77731, Gargoyle Finials also by Bob Ridolfi, a 77538, Gravestone of Sorrow sculpted by Julie Guthrie and one of the 77534, Tombstones sculpted by Kevin Williams. I used roots, birch tree seed hulls and various synthetic mosses to complete the scene. The base is 75mm (3 inches) wide and was 3d printed. Enjoy!
Well, it's been a while since my last WIP project so here's what happens when you browse the Reaper Discord late at night and think "Hey! That's a FANTASTIC idea!". The Discord is home to the Reaper Challenge League and it has many, many categories. My favorite is the seasonal/holiday one. Simply put, you pick a holiday or event(ie.Christmas/St Patrick's day/The Coopers Hill Cheese Race etc) and paint a mini to match the theme.
As many of you are aware, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and the signature colour for that is pink. A few people were talking about doing pink minis for the challenge and I figured that I've already done a multicolored dragon, so how hard can it be?
This, my friends, is what this work in progress thread is about to attempt. Abandon all sanity and colour sense, all ye who continue to read here, because things are about to get fabulous!
First of all, the choice of dragon needed to be considered. Too small and you don't get the impact, too large and you're painting the beast all year. I needed a nice, mid sized dragon and I happened to have a spare of this bad boy.
I've always loved Narthrax. His angry face, the unusual tilted pose and the awesome scale placement are just fantastic. He's truly one of my favorite dragons and I've been looking for an excuse to paint him something different from the standard chromatic or metallic dragons for quite a while now. Most of the my painting is for tabletop gaming purposes so it's nice to shift gear once in a while.
So first things first, I gave him a nice soapy bath to prepare him for painting. Sorry, no photos of that- a dragon has to retain some dignity! Here's the 'after' shot!
I glued on the leg and tail and left the head and wings separate, mostly for ease of painting. Then I gave home a good, slightly thinned coat of Blue Liner 9066. This provides a nice, even base coat and helps prevent the paint rubbing off further down the road.
And thus the madness begins! This is where I started giving every single scale a layer of Rich Indigo, making sure that there's still a good amount of the dark liner in the shadows.
At this point I realized that a test area was probably a good idea, so I started playing around with highlight colours, finally deciding on Witchcraft Purple 07977 and, appropriately enough, BCA Pink which Reaper are kind enough to put into online orders in October. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how bright to go but at least it doesn't look entirely hideous! Admittedly, your milage may vary on this one. Heck, I might hate pink by the end of this endeavor, you never know.
Lots of blocking in the purple and pink, with an attempt on the belly scales. Not entirely sure about that, might need to see how bright the upper scales go.
More blocking in of the scales and a bit of work on the wings, using Rich Indigo and Desna Blue.
Then the Witchcraft Purple starts getting layered on in earnest. This is the point where I start to second guess myself. He's starting to look like a particularly dangerous fuschia....
That's pretty much where the mini is now, hopefully I haven't bored you all too much or damaged your retinas. I'm hoping to get some more work done tomorrow so I'll keep posting as often as I can. I think that this is one of those projects that needs attention little and often.
Thanks for looking everybody!
Hello everyone. Here it is, I completed my chimeric aberration. At the heart of the barren wasteland, during a cursed journey to redemption, the champion met a limping chimeric aberration. It has the main features of a giant hound, a vulture head stretches out of its right side and a hulking insect head sits on the left side.
Every part I used are from Reaper Miniatures. The main body is a 02817 Moor Hound sculpted by Ben Siens. The two extra heads are from 03069, Hooked Hulk sculpted by Michael Brower which are included in 03440 creature components pack 2. The spiked tail is from a 14456 Mastema sculpted by Julie Guthrie, included in 03334 Creature Components. The wings are from a 03641 Gunslinger model sculpted by Bob Ridolfi. I finally swapped its left side paws for claw and a palmed foot at the back. These parts are part of the 03440 creature components pack 2.
The colors are all Reaper MSP paint. I was inspired by the Cù-Sìth from the Scottish folklore for the main body. The additional heads have traditional vulture and praying mantis colors. Due to the large size of the monster, I built a 50mm wide base. I plan to create the stats for this monster and build a surprise encounter for my fellow D&D player. Let me know what you think about it.
Here is the link to the WIP.
More pics under the spoiler.