Doctore Oenomaus

Brand new to the game; taken by it with youthful vigor.

Fun, isn't it?

ETA: (Psst, if you are not an adult, you may wish to remove that one picture that shows you.)

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

Nice work - Welcome to the hobby!   

one of the first things you may want to look into is black washes.  mix 3:1 water and black paint ,then run the brush over the areas that need black shadows - like cloaks and chainmail.   

Use a similar red wash for skin.   

There are also premade washes and "Inks"  to do the same.  

Google for painting videos on youtube is is a good way to improve at any skill level. 

You are knocking them out fast! I barely finish one a month. Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask questions. most people here are happy to help.

• Like 1

You are knocking them out fast! I barely finish one a month. Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask questions. most people here are happy to help.

Quoting this word for word!

Welcome!

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words, I have since added more to my collection because I procure a lot of them for cheap at a local comic store. The more factory detailed ones are from DnD and such, the painted ones are my humble attempts. I need to get washes (and more flesh colored paints)

D:

• Like 4

WELCOME!! *said in a deep booming voice* That's a real good start, much better than my first few can't wait to see more of your stuff. Both the forums and the hobby are awesome but at times can be challenging. So, have fun and try not to get killed!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cranky Dog
      Does anyone use some sort of software to keep track of their miniature collections? With pictures and/or searchable tags?

Anyone in the hobby for a while, and who invested in Bones (and many other miniature) Kickstarters; Warhammer armies; Heroclix armies; individual or box sets at your FLGS or online store, etc. has accumulated so many that they tend to forget what exactly they own anymore.

I know I went over the 1000 individual miniature mark after Bones 2. And with Bones 4 around the corner, it keeps growing alarmingly fast. And I know I'm not the only one.

Sure for the Kickstarters miniatures, I can always go back to the original campaign page and look up the images. But there certainly must be a simple application that would do the same job as Reaper's tag search, but without requiring coding skill.

I think my ideal format would be something that would show: Picture; name; company; manufacturer code (if available); sculptor name (if available); and any amount of tags (male - fighter - sword - elf - bow), and then filter the results.

I know it can be done; I just don't know how.

I know there are image organization software, movie collection software, comic book collection software, music collection software, etc. But haven't found anything more generic for miniatures.

February 2019 Update: I'm taking the Excel route afterall.
    • By Kharsin
      Okay! I'm starting this post to keep track of the miniatures I've painted in one place. Just ignore if you've seen them already! 

1. Barrow Rat (LTPK1) Finished (11.14.2013)

2. (Actually don't have this one on this board! LOL!)  06023: Anhurian Swordsmen ???

3. 02924: Bertok, Barbarian (LTPK4) Finished (11.18.2013)

4. P02741A: Nymph (LTPK4) Finished (11.21.2013)

5 & 6. 02811: Dain Deepaxe & 02823: Rasia, w/Spiked Chain Finished (1.29.2014)

7. 14536: Varaug, Orc Warlord (Alternate Sculpt) WIP & Finished (2.16.2014)

8. 14645: Bladesinger Sister "Phoebe" WIP & Finished (3.4.2014)

9. Jazzy's Garden of Eden WIP
         -  Liriel Finished (3.27.2014)

10.  The Picnic or Something Victorianish... WIP & Finished! (finally!) (4.12.2014)

11. Winter Miniature Exchange: Stonehaven Dwarf Rogue Partial WIP & Finished! (4.19.2014) 

12. 14321: Bow Sister "Nubian Princess" WIP & Finished! (5.1.2014)
            - Special WIP! Building A Better Bowl - Basing tutorial

13. 03473: Khesh Blackscale, Dragonman (Sorry! I got WIP lazy  ) & Finished! (5.17.14)
           - Redemption! (sorta): Lazy Basing WIP

14.  Stonehaven Miniatures Gnome Hoplite (a.k.a.: Pocket Achilles) Finished! (5.26.14)

15.  02689 Kurff the Swift (a.k.a.: The Hero of Speiburg) FAIL! WIP & Finally Finished (11.09.14)   

16.  02981 Lonnia, Female Duelist or "The Fair Spansh Lady" WIP and Finished! (6.23.2014)

17.  50180: Mega-Mutant or "The Fly" Finished! (7.14.2014)

18.  Bombshell Miniatures HS38 Rocket Bike & GhNT Security Bot or "The Race" Finished! (9.7.2014)

19. 14600: Kaya the Reaper or "Year of the Giants: Part I" WIP and Finished! (10.4.2014)
         - Year of the Giants: Part Deaux! WIP
         - Year of the Giants Diorama: Mothers Finished! (12.31.2014)
         - ReaperCon 2015 Silver!!! Yay!

20. 02902: Slithe Queen or "Low Tide" [Fall Exchange Mini] Partial WIP & Finished! 

21. Hasslefighter 2014 WIP PAUSED (11.8.14)
            - HFGGL4 Fist of Golgo (i.e.: Billy)
            - HFGGL8A Bobby Van Li (i.e.: Williams)
            - HFC008 Kado 

22. 01325 Bailey Silverbell Finished! (11.8.2014)
            - Official 1st Anniversary of Painting Mini! Yay!     
            - ReaperCon 2015 Silver!!! 

23. Target Acquired: Hasslefree's HFSF 109 "Smudgester" WIP & Finished! (11.21.2014)
            - ReaperCon 2015 Bronze!

24. The Freaking Dungeon!!! (a.k.a.: Super Dungeon Explorer) WIP

25.  Dr. Who Diorama (Present for Haden) WIP & Finished! (12.24.2014)

26. Bones Beauty Pageant: "Little Friend" (Cassie, Gnome Wizard) WIP & Finished! (2.7.2015)

27. "Never Toss A Dwarf" or 60004: Harsk, Iconic Male Dwarf Ranger WIP & Finished! (3.2.2015)

28. "She Be Queen!" Spring 2015 Exchange Finished! (4.16.2015)

29. "Speedy the Gobbo" Exercise in "speed" painting Finished! (4.20.2015)

30. Will's Dino Guy or Maj. Johan Emigholtz WIP & Finished! (6.8.2015)

31. Cowboys!: Roland Deschain or 59007: Gunslinger Finished! (4.5.2016)

32.  Spaaacccceeeeee Woooollllvvvvsssssszzzz!!!!!! WIP

33.  Dragons of Fall Latecoming or Marsya's Really Late I'm So Sorry It Took So Long And I Should Be Ashamed Project Finished! (4.2016) 

34. Icewind Gail or Winter Witch 60149 WIP & Finished! (4.9.2016)

35. (ish) Some hood from Hasslefree.... (um, Joe!) Practically Finished (9.11.2018) 

Running Total: 40ish Miniatures Completed! (+ a TARDIS!)

( #10 required 2 minis; #18 required 2 minis; #24 required 2 minis + a custom TARDIS #29 required 3 minis )
        (Please note that the Running Total tabulates actual painted miniatures. The numbers indicate individual
         projects, some of which may have not been completed.)

Also, a list of my continuing struggle of photographing these guys can be found here and here.
    • By TheMandolin
      Sometimes, I feel really out of place posting a mini I painted as some of you guys are scary good mini painters, but I am just so darn happy with this mini and had such a blast painting her I wanted to share! And you can't improve if you don't try! Right? So introducing Pucket, the Halfling Paladin of Lliira. Aside from the gnome from LTPK this is my first Hero type mini. She's my character for my next campaign and I ordered her on HeroForge. There just aren't enough dancing halflings out there.

I tried a lot of new techniques I've been reading about and am pretty pleased with the results. Her eyes look sort of like eyes! The bottle looks vaguely like there is something inside of it! I did totally chicken out on the armor, I was going to try to paint the decorative bits a different color but just didn't trust my hand/eye coordination enough. 

Now I just have to figure out a background reason for her to have purple hair and a shiny blue scabbard that my DM will actually buy. 

Also, can someone tell me how to do that thing where you drop photos under a banner you have to click to expand?
    • By TheMandolin
      I finished the last of the LTPK2 minis! The last one I did was Hajad the Pirate. About half way through I realized my brush skills were not up to the task on blending the shadows and highlights properly so I decided to exaggerate them instead so he came out looking a little comic book arty.  I am pretty happy with the end result but this mini was mostly a lesson in how much I need to practice building up thin layers  and blending. Also he was an epic eye failure, so he's a blind pirate. C'est la vie

Either way, he was a lot of fun!

• By TheMandolin
      It's been a slow few weeks painting wise because work wise has been crazy but I almost finished with the LTPK2. Here is Ingrid. I am pretty pleased with her and feel like I learned a LOT. She also has the best eyes I've been able to manage thus far. Everything else either gets just a black dot or no eyes at all. 

I apologize for the bad pictures, I am working on getting a proper background set up but for right now I just hold them up to the light and take a photo and hope it comes out well. 

• Who's Online   50 Members, 1 Anonymous, 93 Guests (See full list)