Impact Miniatures Hippocampus

Kangaroorex

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, should have added that too.  Gesso doesn't work either.  like the other brush ons, you can make a smooth coat but there is no adhesion to the miniature. if your not careful, it can peel off (unfortunately in little bits.  It would be awesome if you could peel the finished painting off the mini but it shreds too easy.)

My experience with sealer hasn't been too bad.  but it does its job in covering fine detail too well.  I haven't covered a whole mini with it, but, in the areas I have used it to fill bubble voids, it does stay put. 

Edited by Kangaroorex

It wont fit in my curio cabinet and I am only allowed so much display room :down:

Very nice carousel Horse.  Whats its vintage? and is it a restoration project or was it recovered in that condition?

And now i need another chibi for that color scheme...  Such is life

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 1

I used Duplicolor sandable auto primer on my first one and it seemed to hold well. It's not the slick auto primer, it has a nice fine tooth to it. 

Unfortunately I then had to cover it with multiple layers of Reaper sealer to cover the 3-d printed texture (like Jay did).  For my second pony I just went straight to layers of sealer. 

Love the hippocampus. Too cute. :) 

Hum,  different results from different painters, I guess.  what you see here is wash, primer, and paint.  no sealer at all.  as you can see from the light reflection, there is no hatching on the final product.  the main problems I have with these minis is that the surface seems too smooth for the standard primer to grab it.  if I look at the mini i can see the crosshatching but I havent had it show up in any of my paint.  then again, unless i am painting for serious competition I do not water my paints to wash state before i use them, so a base coat normally only takes 2 coats.  if you are using really thin paint, the texture might come through more.

For the most part i am just too impatient for 5 layers to make up my basecoat ::D:  On the plus side, it does give my paint better fill ability.

Hum,  different results from different painters, I guess. 

I think it might be different results from different castings. They had some early quality control issues

This could be as well.  the first batches of ponies and dragons had some rough spots on them.  I'm glad to see the improvement!

It wont fit in my curio cabinet and I am only allowed so much display room :down:

Very nice carousel Horse.  Whats its vintage? and is it a restoration project or was it recovered in that condition?

And now i need another chibi for that color scheme...  Such is life

That's an original my father carved it, not sure which carver's style he was imitating on that one. I did the paint work.

• Like 2

Excellent work!  that is gorgeous.  Still not enough room in my house for it though.  Very nice work.  did he just do the one or is it a continuing hobby for him?

Its a continuing hobby, although its unlikely that he will be doing anymore full size carousel animals. You can see some of the others in this uncropped photo.

Hippocampus.Body.2.jpg

From left to right: A mini ostrich, an original horse being restored circa 1890, a rooster, a baby giraffe (complete with butterfly), horse, a parker horse and you can just make out the right front paw of the lion. There are two finished horses not in this shot, along with one finished but unpainted and one being carved. Some of those are in the photos on my blog.

There are a few more photos on my blog: http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/p/carousel-horses.html

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3