Sign in to follow this  
Kangaroorex

Impact Miniatures Hippocampus

I've had reasonable luck with Reaper brush on sealer. It helps smooth out the pixelation from the 3d printing process and provides a surface for paint.

Sorry, should have added that too.  Gesso doesn't work either.  like the other brush ons, you can make a smooth coat but there is no adhesion to the miniature. if your not careful, it can peel off (unfortunately in little bits.  It would be awesome if you could peel the finished painting off the mini but it shreds too easy.)

My experience with sealer hasn't been too bad.  but it does its job in covering fine detail too well.  I haven't covered a whole mini with it, but, in the areas I have used it to fill bubble voids, it does stay put. 

Edited by Kangaroorex

It wont fit in my curio cabinet and I am only allowed so much display room :down:

Very nice carousel Horse.  Whats its vintage? and is it a restoration project or was it recovered in that condition?

And now i need another chibi for that color scheme...  Such is life

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 1

I used Duplicolor sandable auto primer on my first one and it seemed to hold well. It's not the slick auto primer, it has a nice fine tooth to it. 

Unfortunately I then had to cover it with multiple layers of Reaper sealer to cover the 3-d printed texture (like Jay did).  For my second pony I just went straight to layers of sealer. 

Love the hippocampus. Too cute. :) 

Hum,  different results from different painters, I guess.  what you see here is wash, primer, and paint.  no sealer at all.  as you can see from the light reflection, there is no hatching on the final product.  the main problems I have with these minis is that the surface seems too smooth for the standard primer to grab it.  if I look at the mini i can see the crosshatching but I havent had it show up in any of my paint.  then again, unless i am painting for serious competition I do not water my paints to wash state before i use them, so a base coat normally only takes 2 coats.  if you are using really thin paint, the texture might come through more.

For the most part i am just too impatient for 5 layers to make up my basecoat ::D:  On the plus side, it does give my paint better fill ability.

Hum,  different results from different painters, I guess. 

I think it might be different results from different castings. They had some early quality control issues

Glad to see others painting the Impact stuff!

I just primed two more of them (using the Rustoleum Self Etching Primer).

Nicely done on this one!

Edited by Talae

Hum,  different results from different painters, I guess. 

I think it might be different results from different castings. They had some early quality control issues

This could be as well.  the first batches of ponies and dragons had some rough spots on them.  I'm glad to see the improvement!

It wont fit in my curio cabinet and I am only allowed so much display room :down:

Very nice carousel Horse.  Whats its vintage? and is it a restoration project or was it recovered in that condition?

And now i need another chibi for that color scheme...  Such is life

That's an original my father carved it, not sure which carver's style he was imitating on that one. I did the paint work.

• Like 2

Excellent work!  that is gorgeous.  Still not enough room in my house for it though.  Very nice work.  did he just do the one or is it a continuing hobby for him?

Excellent work!  that is gorgeous.  Still not enough room in my house for it though.  Very nice work.  did he just do the one or is it a continuing hobby for him?

Its a continuing hobby, although its unlikely that he will be doing anymore full size carousel animals. You can see some of the others in this uncropped photo.

Hippocampus.Body.2.jpg

From left to right: A mini ostrich, an original horse being restored circa 1890, a rooster, a baby giraffe (complete with butterfly), horse, a parker horse and you can just make out the right front paw of the lion. There are two finished horses not in this shot, along with one finished but unpainted and one being carved. Some of those are in the photos on my blog.

There are a few more photos on my blog: http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/p/carousel-horses.html

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/impactminiatures/frog-folk-villagers-3d-printable-and-physical-model-chibi/

a new Impact! project offers 12 frog folk either for RPGs (with smaller heads etc) or as Chibis (with larger heads etc)

you can buy the minis directly as physical prints

or you can buy the STLs if you have a 3D printer of your own

Digital Models - You can purchase the STL 3-D Print file for any of the below 24 models for $2 each. One entire set of STL 3-D Print files for the 12 models in either RPG or Chibi format is $15. All 24 STL 3-D Print files are $25.

(NOTE: The RPG Frog Folk Merchant is available for as a free download below .. you do not need to buy it!)

Physical Models - You can purchase individual physical copies of the miniatures for any of the below 24 models (see the image for price per a model). One entire set of 12 physical miniatures in either RPG or Chibi format is $65. All 24 physical miniatures for this KickStarter (both sets) is only $110. The sets are discounted for this KickStarter from the expected retail prices of $70 and $130 for the sets when/if they go to into our retail store.

The physical models both RPG and Chibi are designed for an average Frog Folk Villager to be 28mm in total height when standing. Since most Frog Folk are shown of smaller stature than a Human in most RPG settings we feel this scale helps show that well.

Free Sample!
      If you want a sample of the models, Cute Loot Miniatures is providing the RPG version of the Frog Folk Merchant for free to download for your review!

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-frogfolk-travelling-merchant-113120

Here is a little preview of Lilyana one of our core minis for that set.
    • By Kangaroorex
      Well, I did it.  this is the last of the Elmore dragons that Darksword Miniatures makes.  This miniature is based on a pencil sketch by Larry Elmore and is one of the tallest freestanding dragons I have in my collection.  He is also one of my favorite miniatures.  from the huge wingspan to the quirky happy/puzzled expression on his face, this dragon is just amazing.  He has also been sitting in his box waiting patiently for years because for years I thought he was a brown dragon which made him what I considered a real challenge to paint well.

Some reading and thought later and he has found his stride as a bronze dragon.  It was also an excuse to break out some of my new color change paints on his wings to see what they look like over a broad expanse.  The answer, as you will see below is amazing to look at, very difficult to capture in pictures.  So anyway I thought I would let everyone see him.  I hope you like what you see!

Here he is from the front with the color effect from the color change paints in the down position

and here he is again with the color change in the up position.  the color flare is really pretty amazing in real life but I just cant seem to capture it well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/starcadia-quest/description

Main Game ($80)

Expansion Box ($40, so $120 total)

We will ship your rewards at our cost to our international hubs. Depending on where in the world you are, we will either ship to you from our hub in the UK (EU backers), China (Asia Pacific backers), Singapore (Singaporean backers), Canada (Canadian backers), Australia (Australia and New Zealand backers) or Atlanta (USA and the rest of the world). Following is a list of rough estimates for shipping a standard game package (4kg volumetric weight). Keep in mind these are just estimates, and costs may rise based on weight increases from unlocked stretch goals and any optional buys you choose.
      USA: $10-$20 to most states. $50 to Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.  CANADA: $15-$30 to most cities.  LATIN AMERICA: $70-$80 to most countries.  ASIA: $10 to China, Hong Kong, and Singapore. $35 to most other countries (we can’t predict an estimate cost to Malaysia). OCEANIA: $20-$45 to Australia. $40 to New Zealand.  AFRICA: $95 to most countries.  EUROPE: $20-$30 to most countries.   • $35 to Norway, Switzerland, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia.   • $50 to Bosnia/Herzegowina, Croatia, and Iceland.   • $70-$80 to Israel, Liechtenstein, and Serbia.  • $90 to Belarus. Unfortunately, different import laws and customs have made it impossible for CMON to ship games to certain specific countries.
      *WE DO NOT SHIP TO:* Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Afghanistan.
      Basically a Tweaked version of Arcadia Quest designed to run faster and be easier to set up, with Sci-Fi-ification

Dicetower preview video

https://youtu.be/OIBNBe3HPXc

Rulebook work in progress

https://youtu.be/OIBNBe3HPXc
    • By Kangaroorex
      At this point I really don't need an excuse to paint another dragon but I like to have an evil spell caster for each campaign I run,  you know, just in case.  So Alendrax, a young adult red dragon mage came to be.  he specializes in enchantment and illusion (lets face it, evocation is sort of overkill for a dragon) and likes to play with his food commanding them to hand over all their possessions, kill or torture those they care for and bring him goodies before eating them when he tires of the game.  He also entraps scribes to enchant his spells directly on his wings rather than risking having his prized spells stolen from him.

Having been ousted from his previous home by a bigger silver dragon for being a "deranged sociopath" he escaped with only his wings and his life.  Now he has settled near our hero's stomping grounds to wreak havoc and chaos as he rebuilds his power to displace  Jerseranoth (Joe, the barkeep at the Red Dragon Inn in Port Shaw) and maybe find some spells that will work against that usurper!

Anyway Alendrax is one of the first Elmore dragons I ever picked up but I just never got around to painting him.  he was actually a pretty fun paint with just enough detail to let me have some fun but not so much that I felt the need to spend agonizing amounts of effort on every scale.  I hope you enjoy him!

• Who's Online   27 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)