Sign in to follow this  
scorpio616

I thought the new Reaper bases were supposed to be in Imperial units.

Overall the base are nice and practical. ^_^ Usable as raised plinth for easy pinning / epoxying magnets or flat with raised edges for blending in a broccoli base / avoiding extra height. But since they were referred to as imperial measurements in the KS, I had hoped that would have been their sizes. But like most other folks who make bases, Reaper went with metric sizes 25mm, 50mm & 75mm rather than the good old Imperial 1 inch, 2 inchs and 3 inches.  :mellow: Am I the only one slightly miffed by this?

EDIT: mind you, I'm only slightly miffed, I was kinda expecting the to be the mm they wound up at.

Edited by scorpio616

I have to admit, given the conversion, I don't quite know what the problem is...what game are you playing that 3/64 of an inch at 3 inches is going to break things? And especially where 1/64 of an inch at one inch is a problem?

• Like 3

I don't care about base sizes. I'm looking at the paint job.

But how to you paint an inch?

Or a millimeter, for that matter...

• Like 3

Considering the whole industry, including D&D minis, use metric I don't see much of an issue.

Paint more. Measure less. 

But like most other folks who make bases, Reaper went with metric sizes 25mm, 50mm & 75mm rather than the good old Imperial 1 inch, 2 inchs and 3 inches.  :mellow: Am I the only one slightly miffed by this?

Your sad devotion to that ancient measurement system has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortress...

Darsc claims victory. 

• Like 7

I have to admit, given the conversion, I don't quite know what the problem is...what game are you playing that 3/64 of an inch at 3 inches is going to break things? And especially where 1/64 of an inch at one inch is a problem?

Last I checked there aren't games that require 1" bases over 25mm bases. Indeed them being 25mm makes them better suited for most games.

I'm starting to wonder if Reaper just said 1, 2 & 3 inches cause they didn't want multiple people asking...

Cletus.gif"How many feet in 75 millimeters?"

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 7

But like most other folks who make bases, Reaper went with metric sizes 25mm, 50mm & 75mm rather than the good old Imperial 1 inch, 2 inchs and 3 inches.  :mellow: Am I the only one slightly miffed by this?

Your sad devotion to that ancient measurement system has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortress...

Darsc claims victory. 

Not as long as Americans by gas & milk by the gallon; meat & produce by the pound and cloth by the square yard!

• Like 1

I ALMOST shot coffee out of my nose.

=-Jake

• Like 7

In DB* games, the default is bases in metric widths and depths and movement in inches* (with "metric inches" -- 25mm, 50mm, etc. -- as an alternate). There are some evolutions that can be done with inches but not with metric inches.

Not directly on point for base sizes (especially for round bases), but sometimes precise measurements actually do matter.

* For reasons known only to the authors.

Edited by Doug Sundseth

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      Working on my Reapercon piece.. still trying to get the skin tone highlights right.  Probably need to thin my paints more..

Paints used:

Skin:
      Scale 75 Inktensity Olive
      Vallejo Red Leather + 9025 Burgundy wine
      9305 Tarnished Copper
      Vallejo Red Leather
      Vallejo Red Leather + 9306 New copper
      9686 Gothic Crimson

Hair:
      29843 HD Solid black
      9137 Blackened Brown

Leather:
      Scale 75 Inktensity Chestnut
      Scale 75 Inktensity Wood
      9670 Pumpkin Orange
      Vallejo transparent orange
      Liquitex Burnt Umber Ink
      Liquitex Raw Sienna Ink
      Liquitex Burnt Sienna Ink

• By paintybeard
      A new kickstarter project from Kev White:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hasslefriesian/artemis-20/description

Don't think I shall be backing this myself as I don't do much that is bigger than 54mm.

This seems to be happening off Kev's own bat and I don't think Hasslefree is involved. Whether that is a good thing or not I leave to your own judgement.
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087306595/black-sailors-legends-of-the-jade-sea

About
      Black Sailors: Legends of the Jade sea is a project that will expand the Black Sailors 75mm resin miniature line with new and exciting models based on the myths of the Far East. Although it is aparently planned as a four miniature line-up, we have many cool surprises prepared should you help us bring this dream to life.
      These miniatures have been designed, sculpted, and painted here at the Big Child Creatives studio with the collaboration of some of the most talented miniature artists out there. And what is more, they will be manufactured by our own talented team of resin casting experts. This will allow us to monitor the process closely to ensure the best quality in the market and a timely delivery.
      We have learned a lot since our previous Kickstarter almost four years ago, and we wanted to see how far we could take a new campaign. We invite you to join this journey into the remote Jade Seas to discover their many wonders and some of their most iconic inhabitants.
      Four years after our previous campaign, we wanted to set sail again and see where the winds would take us. We have been slowly cooking this campaign for the past few years, taking care of every little nook and cranny of these miniatures, pouring our souls into each detail and texture to make each character unique.
      This campaign is designed as a journey of discovery, full of surprises in the form of custom kits to make your miniatures even more striking than they already are. Some of these kits will be Kickstarter exclusive, so those of you who choose to support us will be able to proudly show it through unique miniatures, even more full of life and character than our regular releases.

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/6482328/genghis-khan-the-conqueror-75-mm-scale?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

About
      ABOUT THIS PROJECT
      Txarli Factory presents Genghis Khan, The Conqueror, sculpted by Fer. This is our second miniature set in a fictional futuristic universe. Genghis Khan is named after the famous khan who unified the tribes of Mongolia in 1206 on earth. This warrior of the future is very interested in the bushido lifestyle and, like Genghis Khan, wants to become the absolute prince and unify all the human tribes under his control.

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infamyminis/infamy-collectibles

The Infamy: Collectibles range combines larger scale full miniatures, busts and complex or special kits. It is aimed aimed primarily at painters and collectors, but some of the models have also been designed with crossover potential in mind for gamers.
      There's no specific theme or setting - the only criteria for entry into the Collectibles range is that a model is cool and exciting! 
      Each model has been designed and sculpted by amazing artists, will be cast in the high-quality resin that Infamy has become know for, and packed up in luxury bespoke boxes.
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 2 Anonymous, 190 Guests (See full list)