The Horror Of Repetition

Dr.Bedlam

The only "Simpsons" I have ever seen is the three minute short from "The Tracey Ullman Show." And when it was broadcast I said to my now-husband, "Hey, they've done a cartoon of Matt Groenig's 'Life in Hell' only they changed the rabbits to people." And I thought that that was neat but that the cartoon was only so-so and never watched the series.

I have never seen "Frozen" or any Disney movie since ... Well, not sure. It used to be in protest to what they did to other people's stories. Then I just wasn't interested.

My family didn't take me to the movies when I was a kid. I read the "MAD" magazine parodies. I didn't see "Star Wars" until about a year after it first came out. We generally couldn't afford tchochkes, although I still have my treasured old action figures, Luke from movie 2 (which is to say 5), C3PO, and R2D2. I have still never seen "E.T.", although I have read Alan Moore's "Skizz." After my sister got a job in a movie theater I got to see "Conan" and "Ghandi" and "Xanadu" (oh, well, can't win 'em all).

I am immune to earworms. I try not to abuse this superpower.

I heard a lot of top ten 1970s music on terrible school bus sound systems on *long* bus rides. I am familiar with their tunes, in a mushy sort of way, but could never make out the words and know none of the song names. I am intimately familiar with pop music from the summer of 1983 through the spring of 1984 because I devoted my time to a study of it for one year.

I have gone years without seeing a movie in a theater. The only reason I watched a ton of movies last year -- "The Lego Movie" and "Thor: The Dark World" both -- is because of enthusiastic family members. My children are in some odd way proud of me when I watch pop culture.

Please don't get me wrong. I have seen a lot of movies and not all on MST3K. I watch the Nostalgia Critic. I am not media-free.

I worry sometimes about the thinness of what is being given to our children, the impoverished stories and tropes. But I can still see some interest in it, in a different direction. Some of it has useful aesthetics.

The last time I was near a Disney Store I saw a doll and thought, "Wow, that one actually has some character and intelligence in her face."

I think it was the witch from "Tangled."

• Like 8

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish to ghod I was immune to earworms.

And I certainly understand marketing. I was at the perfect age when Star Wars came out: old enough to have a significant disposable income and young enough to be a royal sucker. But I didn't burn out on Star Wars the way I did on ET. I dunno why. The marketing just didn't seem as aggressive and in my face...

• Like 1

Heh. I absolutely LOVE Monty Python...Holy Grail and Rocky Horror. I just have no interest in ever watching either of them ever again, or hearing quotes. In high school, my group of friends watched one of those, with a smattering of Life of Brian, every. Single. Week.

I love looking back on that time...I just don't need to relive it.

• Like 3

Doc.....just 'Let It Go'....

/giggle

Olaf wasn't the allegory for homosexuality, Elsa is. The movie makes a nice comparison of being true to yourself and her finding out who she is and feeling free to 'be who she is'. Her parents try to have her 'change' and 'control' her desires while her sister, who loves her anyways, is there as her support. 

When viewed from that point, I like the movie a bit more. 

But seriously, it is really over played. o_o 

• Like 3

The last time I was near a Disney Store I saw a doll and thought, "Wow, that one actually has some character and intelligence in her face."

I think it was the witch from "Tangled."

Most of the Disney store dolls are considerably better than their Mattel counterparts. Here, for example, is Elinor, the queen and mother of Merida from Brave:

7418768910_9e41e448c5_z.jpg

She comes in a bear. ^_^

They're also closer to actual human proportions than the mattel dolls, which really threw me off when I first got one. They looked so weird to me, and then I realized that their torsos and legs were human sized, and then I realized how weird it was that them being correct proportions looked weird.

Also, Disney has sold the manufacturing rights to their princess line to Hasbro, so Mattel will soon no longer be making the dolls. Hopefully Hasbro does a better job, because Mattel has been sucking it.

Mother Gothel, from Tangled isn't a witch.

• Like 3

The only "Simpsons" I have ever seen is the three minute short from "The Tracey Ullman Show." And when it was broadcast I said to my now-husband, "Hey, they've done a cartoon of Matt Groenig's 'Life in Hell' only they changed the rabbits to people." And I thought that that was neat but that the cartoon was only so-so and never watched the series.

I'm pretty blase about TV for the most part, but in this instance... well... you missed out, madam.  You seriously cheated yourself.  The Simpsons has been on for a billion years now, and has mostly sucked since circa 2000.  And the first season, season and a half were real shaky.  But that blessed period between 1991 and 1999 was some of the finest half-hour television ever crafted by mortal hands.  With the sole exception of one season. I forget which one, but it was the season with the stupid nuclear sub episode.  That season sucked.  Was 1997 or 1998, I think.

Anyway, I don't know if it's possible to go back and get the same out of it.  It was just tapped dead into the pulsing center of the zeitgeist.  I think the moment is over and you, quite sadly, missed it. 

All I can say about The Simpsons is this:

I am a funny guy.  I can make people laugh.  I say and do funny things.  It's why the Genie loves me.  It's probably all of why I even have friends.  But I am the toughest of tough rooms.  I watch most "comedy" absolutely stonefaced.  If it's really good, I might crack a smile.  Even if I'm entertained it rarely shows.

The Simpsons is, was, and remains the only comedy show ever to actually knock me to the floor rolling around laughing.  It is a singular honor.

It stayed around long enough to turn rotten, but by god those nineties seasons earned every.  Single.  Bit.  Of that show's popularity.  

I actually feel legitimately bad that you missed it in the moment, because that was some top-shelf, solid gold TV.   

Edit to add:

And don't judge it on the Ullman short(s) [there were several].  Because the 90's Simpsons episodes operate on multiple levels.  It's the only show I've ever seen that the more you know and the smarter you are - the funnier it gets.  There's a whole subtext in the show that I'm sure goes over 99% of its audience.  It's deep, and surprisingly complicated. 

That's long gone now, which is probably why it sucks.  Probably also why most people think it sucks.  That can't really identify what's wrong, only that something is missing.  But 90's Simpsons?  No lie, smartest show on TV.  It's not even close to a contest.  Serious talent worked in that lab. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 9

Doc.....just 'Let It Go'....

/giggle

Olaf wasn't the allegory for homosexuality, Elsa is. The movie makes a nice comparison of being true to yourself and her finding out who she is and feeling free to 'be who she is'. Her parents try to have her 'change' and 'control' her desires while her sister, who loves her anyways, is there as her support.

When viewed from that point, I like the movie a bit more.

But seriously, it is really over played. o_o

No, no, you're quite right. I was simply pointing out that I know all the character names in a movie I have NEVER SEEN... a sure sign of cultural saturation.

Like knowing what an Ewok is and what it's called... despite the fact that the word was never used in any of the movies.

• Like 3

Like knowing what an Ewok is and what it's called... despite the fact that the word was never used in any of the movies.

For the longest time, I just called them the "furry, spear-wielding warriors in the last movie". Or the miniature wookies. And it was my favorite movie because I wanted to travel to a distant planet and befriend a fierce tribe of teddy bears too. *girlhood dreams* :blush:

I think I learned they were called ewoks when my brother got a star wars encyclopedia.

• Like 4

I never really watched Simpsons in the 90's though I seem to recall it was actually fairly funny when I did. But for a while it seemed Bart Simpson was everywhere telling me to eat his shorts or whatever, and where Bart's jaundiced face wasn't a masked reptilian with archaic weapons, munching on a cheesy slice was.

• Like 1

Not to subsume the thread or anything but when these shows start to get me down I turn to honest trailers on youtube.  They will add a particular charm to any movie.  Frozen is a particular favorite for this with songs like "would you like and exposition" and "get it out".  these are fun and rather well done

Note:  not all of these trailers are work friendly...

• Like 1