The Horror Of Repetition

Dr.Bedlam

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I'm really only sick of seeing a bleeping grey necktie every time I turn on, well, any media.  The only way I want to see 50 shades of grey is on a monochrome mini painted by DKS or Jen H.

YUSSSS!!!

Hey Doc, I see they are making a new Frozen movie.

• Like 3

I have to admit I'm one of the worst people alive for discovering something that's new to me, and if I love it I will overdose on it until I can't stand it. But I'm also a  hermit, so mostly no one else has to deal with my obsessive nature.

The person who invented earbuds should win a Nobel Peace Prize. Countless lives have been saved by me being able to simultaneously drown out everyone else, and everyone else not having to partake in whatever I'm immersed in.

• Like 9

I saw Titanic in theaters twice. Once with my best mate, and once with a girl I was interested in getting to know much better. It wasn't a bad movie. It's not a great movie. I kind of enjoyed it, but I haven't seen it since. I like both DiCaprio and Winslet for their acting. They've both been in some bombs, and I think a lot of Leo's earlier work is a giant mess.

I also like David Eddings and Terry Brooks. Both are very, very formulaic. In that respect they remind me much of Dean Koontz. Koontz has gotten better, but he still has his occasional lapse. I still re-read the Belgariad and the Mallorean from time to time. The Elfstones of Shannara is a book I remember very fondly from my childhood. None of those are sterling examples of great fantasy fiction, but I also believe there are many, many, many, many worse books out there.

On the flip side two authors I cannot stomach any little bit at all are Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCaffrey. I'm not saying their work is bad, I'm saying I can't stand it. Like destroy it with fire can't stand it. I will not tell anyone else not to check it out though. You may like it.

It does sometimes depress me that (no judgements about quality of work) certain authors get shoved down our throat while others remain relatively unknown even in the "information age." I'd say that 85% of all fantasy enthusiasts I meet have never heard of, except maybe in passing, of Leiber or Moorcock.

• Like 5

I saw Titanic in theaters twice. Once with my best mate, and once with a girl I was interested in getting to know much better. It wasn't a bad movie. It's not a great movie. I kind of enjoyed it, but I haven't seen it since. I like both DiCaprio and Winslet for their acting. They've both been in some bombs, and I think a lot of Leo's earlier work is a giant mess.

I also like David Eddings and Terry Brooks. Both are very, very formulaic. In that respect they remind me much of Dean Koontz. Koontz has gotten better, but he still has his occasional lapse. I still re-read the Belgariad and the Mallorean from time to time. The Elfstones of Shannara is a book I remember very fondly from my childhood. None of those are sterling examples of great fantasy fiction, but I also believe there are many, many, many, many worse books out there.

On the flip side two authors I cannot stomach any little bit at all are Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCaffrey. I'm not saying their work is bad, I'm saying I can't stand it. Like destroy it with fire can't stand it. I will not tell anyone else not to check it out though. You may like it.

It does sometimes depress me that (no judgements about quality of work) certain authors get shoved down our throat while others remain relatively unknown even in the "information age." I'd say that 85% of all fantasy enthusiasts I meet have never heard of, except maybe in passing, of Leiber or Moorcock.

Love them both.  They were a staple of my youth. 

That....may explain some things now that I think about it.

• Like 4

I hate that ANYBODY can't watch Python Grail or Princess Bride. Those are two of my faves.

But the actual MOVIE, ET, I've only seen twice... it was the advertising, merch, and ad tie-ins that made me all fed up with it.

Interestingly... you don't see the movie much any more. Or any merchandising. Like it buurned itself out...

By modern standards, it sounds like it's time for a remake!

• Like 2

I read Moorcock about 5? years ago after realizing some of Brom's art work was of Elric.

While reading the first Elric book it was strange... so many books are inspired by that guy. He is like the granddaddy of the Drow and Rastlin Majere.

My first Terry Brooks books were the Magic Kingdom for Sale ones. I could never get into the Shanara ones. I think there was a book that was too similar to LoTR in story and it was just boring to read.

I just googled a rather silly fantasy book I remember liking when I was a ten and discoverd it is part of a series... "The Paths of the Perambulator" I just rememebr the main character played "Whitesnake" songs on his guitar to summon a mount.

I normally read Stephen King, so take my taste with a grain of salt :)

• Like 6

I think I might have been in "Titanic"'s target demographic also. 18-34-year-old female, into history and fashion, appreciates a well-written love story.

But I've never seen it. I'm completely uninterested. It's like the Life of Jesus movies: I already know how it ends.

I don't dislike David Eddings' work. Heck, I gave it to my kids to read. But wow, it's almost a textbook education in how to be formulaic.

Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCaffrey. Hmm.

Yes. Yes, I agree with you completely. If I want to read rapey fantasies, I'd ... Well, I'd go read those two, actually.

I've read a lot of Moorcock. It surprises me that people haven't heard of him or of Fritz Leiber.

• Like 2

I read Moorcock about 5? years ago after realizing some of Brom's art work was of Elric.

While reading the first Elric book it was strange... so many books are inspired by that guy. He is like the granddaddy of the Drow and Rastlin Majere.

My first Terry Brooks books were the Magic Kingdom for Sale ones. I could never get into the Shanara ones. I think there was a book that was too similar to LoTR in story and it was just boring to read.

I just googled a rather silly fantasy book I remember liking when I was a ten and discoverd it is part of a series... "The Paths of the Perambulator" I just rememebr the main character played "Whitesnake" songs on his guitar to summon a mount.

Wasn't that one of the Spellsinger books by Alan Dean Foster?  The one with all of the intelligent bipedal animals?

• Like 3

I am utterly disgusted that anyone would compare Titanic to the Spice Girls.

That first album is still on my iPod's most-played list.

You think I'm joking.

Anyway...Leiber is someone I need to revisit, it's been a loooong while since I read anything of his. And, despite considering myself pretty well- and widely-read, I haven't actually read any Moorcock. I should remedy this.

In the same category of "more people should be familiar," Gene Cook is one of my favorites...particularly The Black Company books, but I also love his Private Eye series.

I recall thinking Mercedes Lackey was somewhat...lack-y...even in junior high. But I loved McCaffery's PERN like whoa. Tried to revisit the author a few years ago...what was it? "Crystal Singer," maybe? I don't recall for sure...but thought it was imminently forgettable.

Terry Goodkind (my autocorrect tried to turn that into "Terry Goldmine," haha) is an author that hits the awful repetition button so hard it's meta for me...I had a TON of friends tell me I MUST read those books, so I was already tired of them before I started, and then the themes in them are so hackneyed and done-before, and then there's the one book (he's making a statue in it) where every damn page might as well have just said "COMMUNISM SUCKS A BUNCH" at the top...so many layers of repetition in that series...

• Like 1

Wasn't that one of the Spellsinger books by Alan Dean Foster?  The one with all of the intelligent bipedal animals?

Yes (according to wikipedia). I think one of the main characters friends was a walking taking womanizing alcoholic weasel. Finding out there are more books makes me think I need to revist these silly 80's books. Nothing beats some cheesy fantasy before I fall asleep.

I have read so many D&D books... which are in my opinion awesomely bad. It's like reading the MST3K version of fantasy books.

• Like 5