what glue to use on the Gelatinous Cube?[merged threads]

Werkrobotwerk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For clear parts (cars airplanes) I generally use white school glue, but I don't have the item in question here to see if that's suitable.  By halves, do you mean the upper and lower pieces?  My understanding is that's how the piece is/was supposed to be, but that may have changed.  If it's that, and not that the upper piece is two halves (making three pieces total) then I see how zap-a-gap or other glues would work.  But joining clear-to-clear, if the top was two separate pieces, I could see a frosting risk. 

It might be more useful to not glue the thing together, if you are intending to stick minis in it. Many man-sized minis are just slightly too big, and leaving the halves unglued may allow you to rest the pieces around the victim mini without adding too much to the cubes size. Dunno, just a thought. I guess it probably depends on whether you are going to be adding any paint to it.

• Like 1

It might be more useful to not glue the thing together, if you are intending to stick minis in it. Many man-sized minis are just slightly too big, and leaving the halves unglued may allow you to rest the pieces around the victim mini without adding too much to the cubes size. Dunno, just a thought. I guess it probably depends on whether you are going to be adding any paint to it.

My husband and I decided not to glue it together after having it eat a couple minis. The minis fit in too snugly for my comfort. It seems much easier and safer for the metal minis if we don't glue the sides together. Not sure how well it will hold up to the table being jiggled or needing to leave a gap for a weapon, but we haven't had it fall apart yet while it sits around. Hmm. It may not be a bad idea to glue the bottom to one side, then let the other side rest against it. Will need to play with it more to see what we want to do with it.

• Like 3

I don't know if the cube will actually stand up without the two side pieces being glued together.

I only took it out to make sure all the pieces were in the bag, but I did set it down to check the fit with the base piece and it all seemed sturdy. Moving it around might be a hassle, but I think it's worth considering if you are going to primarily be using it for gaming.

Alternate idea - glue one side to a 2(3 maybe?) inch base, leave the other side and 'remains' portion unglued so that the remains can be removed and the other piece is kept loose, just placed around whatever is inside at the moment.

Hadn't really considered any of this until I saw the thing wasn't glued together, but in hindsight it's pretty brilliant, and allows the user to use it however they want.

Edited by pinkymadigan

Hot glue gun spot gluing?

I'd be concerned that accidental contact between the heating element and the mini would damage the Bones.

I use a mini hot glue gun to temporarily attach the bases of Bones minis to plastic caps for painting. So far, no damage at all, and I've not been particularly careful. However, the bond peels off without much effort -- which is why I use it for a temporary mount.

• Like 2

I'd be concerned that accidental contact between the heating element and the mini would damage the Bones.

I use a mini hot glue gun to temporarily attach the bases of Bones minis to plastic caps for painting. So far, no damage at all, and I've not been particularly careful. However, the bond peels off without much effort -- which is why I use it for a temporary mount.

That is an excellent idea! And a good use for my woefully underused glue gun. 

• Like 1

I use Scotch restickable dots.  It's smaller than the lid of a cap, but larger than medium sized miniatures Bones.  They hold through 2-3 miniatures if you're careful with your paint, or if you're sloppy like me they're cheap enough to replace after each mini.

Edited by Lochar
  • Like 1