Sign in to follow this  
Werkrobotwerk

what glue to use on the Gelatinous Cube?[merged threads]

I plan to use a low temp hot glue with a clear glue stick by drizzling the glue on and avoiding contact with the tip, it will be safe enough for the plastic, since the melt point of hot glue is much lower than that of the plastic. Plus while it's still hot, it can be spread around a bit with a tool to make it look oozy and blend the seam in better.

• Like 1

Has anyone tackled the gelatinous cube?... I've dry-fitted it, and it has some interestingly soft, round edges where the two halves meet... which you can't obviously fill. It doesn't look that bad, but the bottom insert doesn't seem to make the best fit on the one I tried (I bought two sets). Anyways, I was curious if others have tried tackling this one yet and had any success with it.

• Like 2

Mine has gaps between the two halves and the lower section is a poor fit all around. I'm thinking of just keeping the pieces separate to make "engulfing" a PC miniature a little easier. :)

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/60048-gelatinous-cube-77305-translucent-slimes-77306-shadow-77369-crystal-golem-77309-ice-wall-77312-bones-ii/

I found that gluing it together took superglue, clamping, and repeated attempts before I decided that close enough was good enough and just painted it with a small gap at the top.  The base fits, kinda-ish, but it's not overly secure - I think I'll likely not bother and just paint it up as a flagstone with remains on it given that even without any translucent paint on it I -really- doubt you'd see the remains as anything other than a small white-grey blob.

I did wash it before gluing using an ultrasonic cleaner, but I was using 2-year old superglue.  I seem to recall a post from ReaperBryan that they've used Zap-a-Gapâ„¢ superglue to good effect in the shop on them, although I can't get that brand in my country.

TLDR:  Yeah, gluing it was an elf, don't expect the bottom to fit exactly.

Edited by Laoke

Thanks, everyone for providing your experiences and input. I'm going to attempt to glue and clamp and then probably have a bit of fun with some fluorescent washes.

It fit together OK for me, but I plan to leave it clear except for the base, so the fit was not really important; it only had to hold together with no big visible gaps. I didn't clamp it but I did have to hold it together very firmly for quite some time..... should have clamped it :)

Some superglue can dry quite opaque though, did anyone try hot glue yet?

Should be able to fill any gaps, and unless the transparency is too different blending it into the cube itself should be cake.

• Like 1

That's a possibility, there's also hobby/craft glue that's meant to cure clear and would work fine for this model (plenty of surface area, no real stress on the joins).