Leonard Nimoy: RIP

Dr.Bedlam

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?_r=0

Never met the man myself, but he cemented his place in our culture. To a lot of us, the character of Spock was the very symbol of the outsider who found a place to shine.

Nerds, hearken and take note. The circle is smaller by one.

• Like 14

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw man... this hit me way harder than I expected. Never met the man, and I haven't even watched all that much Star Trek, but he was such a pillar of culture. One of those people who feel like they'll be around forever.

Someone on Facebook posted this quote from Wrath of Khan, and I thought I'd pass it along:

"We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

• Like 14

::(:

He was my first media icon.

When the other kids in kindergarten wanted to play "Lost in Space" and make me "Penny" (whoever that was), I wanted to play "Star Trek" and be Spock.

Live long in memory, and prosper.

• Like 13

I have never really been what you might call a devoted Star Trek watcher/follower...but as a photojournalist, I did have the pleasure of meeting/interviewing Mr. Nimoy (as well as most of the other Star Trek cast members) at varied conventions!

He was a very soft spoken and extremely intelligent man...it was my great pleasure to talk with and interview him!

I feel a personal loss with his passing and wish him the best on his new journey into the unknown/undiscovered realm!

With most sincere respect to/for a Hollywood Sci-fi icon!

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 12

Just ran across this gem, a poem written by Nimoy and posted on Twitter 5 days ago.

You and I

have learned
The song of love,

and we sing it well

The song is ageless
Passed on

Heart to heart
By those
Who have seen
What we see
And known
What we know