Here's the Relic Knight sculpted by Yannick Hennebo for Kingdom Death which I just finished painting, and I got some great advice in this thread so a thank you goes to the wise men and women who chimed in there. ::):

I painted the mini to represent one of the characters in our Pathfinder game (together with the two previous ones I did, Thula and Fidrak). This crazy cat is Tyrax the Slayer, a young man with the blood of a red dragon pumping through him. The thing with this guy is that he will, as he levels up, take on more and more draconic properties; soon (at level 2) he will be able to grow claws, and later on he will get wings, natural armor and breath weapons coming out of every which orifice (he will take the Dragon Disciple prestige class if you're in to Pathfinder). I'm not sure how well you can see it in my photos, but I painted the right hand (which is clawed) to be undergoing draconic transformation. My thought with the mini is that he was perhaps hiding his transformed hand in those bandages, but he is exposed, or something just pisses him off, and he decides to let rip. A mad grin on his mouth, he whips out his sword and shakes his claw free, as pure draconic power erupts like bubbling scars across his skin...

To be honest, I'm not... completely happy with the results I got here. The problem I see is that his hair and the cloak are almost the same color, and this is due to me not thinking things through enough. The cloak was basecoated in Mahogany Brown, and then shaded with Blackened Brown and Walnut Brown, followed by highlighting with Chestnut Brown and Rust Brown. The problem was that the exposed highlight areas were so enormous compared to the tight folds where the shades were, so it ended up quite a bit more orange than I had intended. I still think he looks pretty cool though, and I don't have it in me to start over, so he will just have to do. In retrospect, I do think a stronger color scheme would have been a flowing red cloak paired with raven-black hair. Next time! ::D:

Anyway, hope you like him!

post-8529-0-40215000-1425071260_thumb.jpg

post-8529-0-92295600-1425071268.jpg

post-8529-0-55749500-1425071277_thumb.jpg

post-8529-0-84042900-1425071287_thumb.jpg

post-8529-0-83957100-1425071299.jpg

Edited by Trodax
  • Like 18

Really cool figure, I have one too that I haven't painted up yet, but you did a good job with him. I agree with your own assessment about the colors though. We live and learn and at least you got him out of your queue!

Ain't that the truth. ::): It's a really cool mini I think, one of my favorites from Kingdom Death.

• Like 1

Really cool figure, I have one too that I haven't painted up yet, but you did a good job with him. I agree with your own assessment about the colors though. We live and learn and at least you got him out of your queue!

Ain't that the truth. ::): It's a really cool mini I think, one of my favorites from Kingdom Death.

Oh yeah, I have probably 12-13 KD figures and then I piggy-backed onto dsmiles KD KS PM to get more. So I love most of the aesthetics of them and should put a few into my painting queue to be done after current projects. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1