Pingo hurtles with 77109: Fire Dragon into the unknown

Pingo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least she doesn't swat you!

my husband, if I show him something I'm painting, always says. "It's not done yet"  

=.=..................

at least you provide helpful critique =P

My customers will sometimes give me feedback like, "I don't think I like that. Can you try some other things?"

This is certainly easier for me as a photographer, but it's still ... frustrating.  ^_^

What don't you like? What do you want to see more of? Is there something that needs to be emphasized?

My favorite customers will look at a photo and either say, "That's perfect" (not likely  :;): ) or "I need the angle to be more like this, I need you to emphasize the texture of the fabric, and I need a softer shadow here." That's useful critique. (Even when I disagree.)

• Like 5

my husband, if I show him something I'm painting, always says. "It's not done yet"  

=.=..................

One of the interestings for me as a non-visual artist has been developing the skills to give useful ciritques.  I've learned a lot about things I will never be able to do.

• Like 12

=.=..................

One of the interestings for me as a non-visual artist has been developing the skills to give useful ciritques.  I've learned a lot about things I will never be able to do.

So, is it white and gold, or blue and black?

• Like 5

=.=..................

My hubby is actually really good at giving me feedback and suggestions on my painting. Which is nice when I get stuck.

Of course, I don't do awesome, unconventional things like Pingo :huh: I don't know if he'd still give me feedback if I was amazing as she is.

• Like 1

Aren't you going to have to repaint after you attach the wings and fill in the gaps with greenstuff?

I don't use greenstuff, myself.  I have a jar of Golden Molding Paste, the stuff that GW colors green and sells at ridiculous markups as "liquid greenstuff."  It's a matte white filler made from acrylic medium and marble dust and fills gaps a right treat.

Thanks for this recomendation.  I picked up an 8oz jar of this at the campus art supply shop the other day, for the cost of maybe 2 pots of GW LGS.  More than enough to last me through many, many projects.  It also flows much better, and is much more malleable than the GW product.  I'm a little concerned on the drying time, as the test I did is still a little - flexible to the touch after 36 or so hours of drying. About how long do you find it usually takes?

(And I may have to blend a little colour in with it just to distinquish it from the surface of the new horde of bones that arrived.  But like most of these products, it takes pigment well.)

• Like 3

Aren't you going to have to repaint after you attach the wings and fill in the gaps with greenstuff?

I don't use greenstuff, myself. I have a jar of Golden Molding Paste, the stuff that GW colors green and sells at ridiculous markups as "liquid greenstuff." It's a matte white filler made from acrylic medium and marble dust and fills gaps a right treat.

Thanks for this recomendation. I picked up an 8oz jar of this at the campus art supply shop the other day, for the cost of maybe 2 pots of GW LGS. More than enough to last me through many, many projects. It also flows much better, and is much more malleable than the GW product. I'm a little concerned on the drying time, as the test I did is still a little - flexible to the touch after 36 or so hours of drying. About how long do you find it usually takes?

(And I may have to blend a little colour in with it just to distinquish it from the surface of the new horde of bones that arrived. But like most of these products, it takes pigment well.)

Molding paste dries somewhat flexible, which I find a virtue in patching Bones figures. Golden makes a "hard" molding paste which dries harder and less flexible, but I've not found it necessary.

As with any acrylic paint, molding paste works better in thinner applications. If I have a broad gap I tend to build up the filling in two or three layers.

I find it dries enough to be painted over in less than an hour. It probably isn't fully dry for several days. It will remain flexible after drying.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 8

I haven't personally used it, but I gather the "light" molding paste is a special formulation intended for people who use massive amounts of molding paste on large canvases where weight is a serious consideration.  Those who have used it describe it as "foamy" when wet.

As such, it is a compromise, possibly not one which is best for our purposes.

Molding paste is fairly simple.  Marble dust + acrylic medium.  I tend to prefer simpler solutions when possible.  So I use the regular stuff.

• Like 5

Molding paste!

So I glued the wings in and while the fit is good there are some noticeable transitions where the wings and body join.

post-8022-0-32131200-1426690046.jpg post-8022-0-70296500-1426690052.jpg

Here's the jar of molding paste (lid marked so I can tell it from a dozen identical jars in a drawer).

post-8022-0-56577500-1426690102.jpg

The stuff has the texture of toothpaste.  I put it on generously with a palette knife.

post-8022-0-31664500-1426690197.jpg post-8022-0-00193600-1426690204.jpg

I clean it up with both dry and damp Q-tips and bamboo kitchen skewers.  More sophisticated sculpting tools might help, but my needs are generally simple.

post-8022-0-71463000-1426690278.jpg

I don't think I have pictures at the moment, but when this layer of molding paste was partly dried, after about 45 minutes or so, I added a few small sculpted knobby bits to help blend the skin.  They are quite small and minor; this is not a sophisticated sculpting medium.

• Like 12

Yay molding paste! My Narthrax has some of that as gapfill, though she was pretty close to gap-free upon assembly. Her base is sculpted from the stuff, though. That rock is jutting from a choppy sea.

I dig the colors on this one. Really nice.

• Like 2

I touched up the molding paste to more or less match the rest of the dragon so the painting can continue over the whole creature.

Here's the dried molding paste. You can see a few of the little blobby bits I did to camouflage the join.

post-8022-0-94713300-1426774248.jpg

Then I glazed over the area with some Yellow Iron Oxide (Reaper's equivalent is "Palomino Gold").  As a color it is normally considered dull, but I find in thin glazes it really pops.

post-8022-0-12662800-1426774329.jpg

Once that was dry I added a very thin wash of Burnt Umber, which harmonized the color enough that painting can proceed as normal from here.

post-8022-0-54260800-1426774399.jpg

• Like 16