Sign in to follow this  
chris_valera

Verocithrax - what size base should he be on - 3in or 4in ?

Okay, so I finally cracked open my massive Bones box (I ordered a LOT of add-ons and aside from a thank-you note signed by everyone at Reaper, I proceeded to crack open Verocithrax.

So here's my deal - he's a big guy, but also very tall, but his base is shallow.

So really, in D&D terms, should he be on a 3 inch or 4 inch base? Is he H or G? His head is about as big as the GW dragons, which used to be on 40mm square bases back in the 90s, but are on chariot bases now.

I want to make him impressive, so I'm erring on the size of going larger, but I'm also putting in an order with Litko for a custom magnetic base, and those are expensive, so there's that.

What say you all?

--Chris

www.chrisvalera.com

Mine is on a 5" round and works very well there.

As for D&D sizes, I generally compare the head of a dragon of unknown size category to the heads of known dragons. My reasoning is that, while body types vary, skulls are generally of similar size between individuals. Since I have dragons in every size category but Gargantuan from the DDM line, I have a pretty good comparison to the "official" categories.

Verocithrax' head is decidedly larger than a huge, but significantly smaller than the colossal red from WotC. Even though the Gargantuan and Colossal sizes have a large "stretch" range, I felt that V is pretty solidly in the Gargantuan range, meaning a 4 or 5 inch space.

• Like 1

I don't worry too much about exact size for huge or larger minis as it shouldn't affect playing on a grid much since they are so much bigger than the PCs. But there should be a creature size chart (at least there is one in pathfinder), that can be useful if you do some math on it. Huge creatures in Pathfinder take up 3x3 1" squares, but the creatures are 16' to 32' in "actual" size. 1" squares are 5' each, so a huge creature mini is about 3.2" to 6.4" in Pathfinder. Gargantuan is 4x4 1" squares which supports creatures of sizes 32' to 64'. So minis would be 6.4" to 12.8".

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks guys. I got mine all put together and I'd post s a scale shot of him next to a Mordheim Pit Fighter, but I'm not sure how to attach an image to a post without a URL, or get it into the My Media section.

Anyway, the shot of him is on a 3inch base, which works, but honestly is a little small. A four inch base might work, but a five would be better. Considering he's supposed to be an earth-shattering dragon, that's probably best.

--Chris

www.chrisvalera.com

• Like 2