Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Lord of the Dish Pit
The companion unit to the archers presented earlier.
The back pumpkin is from a set of doll house decorations, the front two are from the Reaper pumpkin blister.
Corn is made by JTT Scenery Products.
The shields being large and mostly smooth were conductive to freehanding the pumpkins on.
By Lord of the Dish Pit
When the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch on Halloween to bring toys and gifts to the deserving, and a painful smiting to the pumpkin smashers, it is vital that He should covering fire if He needs it....
Four of these were among the first minis I painted for the Army of the Great Pumpkin, and I finally got around to getting them enough friends to make a unit. The large Jack O Lantern is from Reaper's pumpkin pack, I don't remember who manufactured the tree, I picked it up in the model railroad section of a hobby store sometime around 1997. There's also an Army Painter Wasteland Grass tuft. The fence was scratch made from balsa wood.
Painted their shoulder skulls orange to represent the skulls of pumpkin smashers dyed with the remains of their innocent victims so as the pumpkin spirits can rest easy knowing they have been avenged...
Both the older "white and bendy" Bones and the newer grey "better detailed and not bendy" Bones are in the unit.
Later I need to spray primer the elf outta this so the leaves stay put.
The increased detail of the grey Bones really made itself evident while painting these.
Though I have no actual intention of playing until Quarantine 37 is released I went ahead and created a Stargrave crew. Initially this was only an excuse to start planning out the crew and maybe even finalizing a list/crew sheet. Once I had finished filling out the crew sheet however I couldn't help but notice that I probably had all the figures needed for this crew. A quick rifle through my backlog just confirmed my suspicion. Even more interesting though, at least for me, was the rediscovery that I don't own any unpainted Guardsmen with flamers. I had planned to paint one up specifically for this crew but it turns out I don't own any unpainted ones. So before the project even began I've already finished a miniature, talk about speed painting.
Armed with the remaining nine figures I decided this would be a nice palette cleansing project. Oh yes, I actually made that joke. It also occurred to me that this would be a great project to try my hand at speed painting too. After a few years of debatably tabletop quality paintjobs I'm eager to see the results I can achieve when I'm trying to paint quickly.
One quick note before jumping in, this single post condenses four nights of work all together.
Back row from left to right: My Captain, First Mate, Gunner, Burner, Sniper, Grenadier, Runner 1, and Runner 2
Front row: Recruit 1, and Recruit 2
First up was my Captain who needed some conversion work. I'm not exactly worried about WYSIWYG for this particular batch but I figured my Captain deserved the extra "effort". That extra effort being laughable once you see it.
A quick snip of the hand, a pin, and some glue completed the conversion. I'm not exactly big into converting but this may just be the lowest effort conversion I've ever done.
Painting the Captain proved to be a little more involved but about half a session later I had a nearly finished miniature. The First Mate went even quicker as I chose to go with a limited color scheme.
Next were my three remaining specialists. My Gunner like the Captain took about half of a painting session with the Sniper and Grenadier taking most of the remaining time. That bit of leftover time wasn't wasted though as Recruit 1 received most of its basecoat.
My two recruits were finished pretty quickly during tonight's session. The Runners received most of their basecoat but I ended up running out of time tonight.
So this past February, I got around to painting up these Bog Skeletons. I was in need of more swamp zombies for Rangers of Shadow Deep and had these guys laying around and figured it was the perfect excuse for painting them. Though I am a big fan of bog-bodies, I decided to lean more into a swampy look. I figured they could be a bit more colorful and I got a strong vision of a green-tone horde of skellies. Plus bogs are notorious for preserving bodies and these guys missing quite a bit of their flesh, organs, and hair.
More Below the Spoiler:
I had a lot of fun working on these guys. They're very colorful despite being monochromatic and I think they're among some of my best work. I tried out new techniques and pushed my skills. In the end I have a group of evocative minis that really imply a setting beyond the limits of their bases. I couldn't be prouder of these bone-boys.
I also recently shared some photos of some of my earlier attempts at painting skeletons. It was really fun looking back at where I started - especially since these models are very similar to the Skeleton Guardians. You can check out my old skeletons in the Show-Off post HERE.
Who's Online 23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)