Bones Weapons

goblu79

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only done one conversion but I put a metal weapon on to a Bones mini and am pleased with the outcome. I'd be too worried weapons by themselves might come out too spindly. I've already got plans to do more conversions for many of my Bones II and liked the way the metal and bones went together last time, and the prices of boneyard stuff is pretty cheap.

• Like 2

Not just one, but two: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/vandorendra/sku-down/77117

I too worry that polearms, bows, etc. would be too spindly for a Bones weapon sprue. They're already a bother on the figures - many people replace the polearms with rods/pins as it is. The very slight weight of metal weapons shouldn't be an issue, unless perhaps you're trying to put a metal giant's sword in a bones skeleton's hand.

• Like 2

I've only done one conversion but I put a metal weapon on to a Bones mini and am pleased with the outcome. I'd be too worried weapons by themselves might come out too spindly. I've already got plans to do more conversions for many of my Bones II and liked the way the metal and bones went together last time, and the prices of boneyard stuff is pretty cheap.

This^^^

or just use hips plastic as in gw mantic or the like bits are pretty easy to find on ebay and such

...and this^^^

• Like 1

I did an experiment mixing bones and metal.  Feel free to read my findings on the link below.  If you're replacing just weapons, I think metal is actually a better option as its hard for bones to keep its shape when it comes to small, thin bits.  If you plan to do something similar to what I did I wouldn't recommend it as it can lead to the balance issues you fear. 

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/53678-sinessa-wip-mixing-metal-with-bones/

• Like 3

One other thing to note. Even if you unbalance your bones figures with a particularly dramaticly posed metal weapon, the new plastic reaper bases are entirely hollow on the bottom, so you can glue a penny, nickel, Casting tabs or some fishing weights under there and balance out your figs nicely.

It's the same kind of potential problem folks had with GW figs back in the 90's when lots of plastic kits were first coming out but many specialized units had metal add-on bits. Some clever base weighting fixes the problem quick.

• Like 2