Bones Dragons - What D&D size category are each of them in?

I think of the Huge Dragons, the only one that has a distinct Color that I'd associate based purely on the sculpt, it's Ebonwrath; his horns are very "Black Dragon" to me.  Beyond that, it's just sort of a matter of personal preference as to how they'll be colored.  My plan is to paint Narthrax as a Red, Blightfang as a Green, and I'm doing Cinder as a Blue right now (well not right now, right now, I'm at work, but later this evening, I'll try to grab some time to paint while doing laundry).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put together this set of measurements based on the D&D ppm dragons. My theory is that, what with muscles and poses and whatnot, it's hard to measure a dragon from snout to tail, so why not measure a constant? That constant for me is the cranium; presumably the head of any dragon is similar in size (if not shape) to that of another dragon of the same size category, regardless of species. So I took the D&D ppms available to me at the time and found this (I use a tailor's tape for these measurements, as it's flexible...you can also use a string to find the length of the head, then lay the marked string on a rigid rule):

This is a really interesting idea & I very clever. What exactly do you measure - like eye to eye or length ways across the top of the head or circumference? I know you said cranium but skull wise that is everything but the jaw bone (the mandible)

Thanks for information!

Given the fact that they chose not to include Stormwing (the traditional blue) and instead put in Narthrax I've concluded that Narthax is meant to replace Stormwing as the new blue. Also Narthrax's tail strikes me as very blueish. When compared to the blue hatchling he has the most similar feel imo.

I think I heard that Ron's guidance to Julie was "Make it spikey".

I'm not sure that constitutes a "color", although I do love Michael's rendition of Narthrax in blue.

"Large" Dragons: Fire Dragon, Pathfinder Dragon, Shadow Dragon, Silver Dragon, Young Fire Dragon (small end of "large").

"Huge" Dragons: Blightfang, Cinder, Deathsleet, Ebonwrath, Narthrax

If we then arrange all chromatics and metallics by size we get the following.

Dragons by Size: White, Brass, Black, Copper, Green, Bronze, Blue, Silver, Red, Gold

Then by appearance I'll match up the first batch of five (white-green) with the "larges" and the second batch five (bronze-gold) with the "huges".

Which gives me the following.

Larges

White (Young Fire Dragon): By far the smallest this one also has very obviously white physical features.

Brass (Pathfinder Dragon): This was pretty much the remainder after matching up everything else. :/

Black (Shadow Dragon): The most aquatic looking of the "larges". See Ebonwrath below for further details.

Copper (Silver Dragon): Has a wing pattern that is somewhat reminiscent of D&D metallic dragons. :)

Green (Fire Dragon): Within the "large" grouping this one definitely has a greenish feel to me.

Huges

Bronze (Blightfang): This sculpt has the most aquatic look of any of the dragons by far.

Blue (Narthrax): This is the intended blue dragon and there's no reason to change that.

Silver (Deathsleet?): Has a rather white head. Will require a little bit of green stuff work.

Red (Cinder): This is the intended red dragon and there's no reason to change that.

Gold (Ebonwrath?): Has an obviously black head. Will swap heads with Shadow Dragon.

This is extremely helpful, especially where you have broken up the miniatures into their size category. So a big thank you.

I was surprised to see the Pathfinder Red Dragon (89001) in the 'large' category. I havent seen the model in person, but I was under the impression that it was a Huge dragon. Is it somewhere in the middle there? Do you have the model? 

I also noticed that you didnt have Verocithrax or the Dragon's Dont Share (Nathavarr) in your list. Do you know where they fit in the size categories?

What I would love to see is a photo of all these dragons (or most) next to each other, with some kind of measure or something for scale. If anyone could do something like that or link someone who has, that would be very awesome!!

Anyway, thanks Arikiel for sharing! I really enjoyed reading which models you chose for which colours & the reasons behind that. :)

I put together this set of measurements based on the D&D ppm dragons. My theory is that, what with muscles and poses and whatnot, it's hard to measure a dragon from snout to tail, so why not measure a constant? That constant for me is the cranium; presumably the head of any dragon is similar in size (if not shape) to that of another dragon of the same size category, regardless of species. So I took the D&D ppms available to me at the time and found this (I use a tailor's tape for these measurements, as it's flexible...you can also use a string to find the length of the head, then lay the marked string on a rigid rule):

This is a really interesting idea & I very clever. What exactly do you measure - like eye to eye or length ways across the top of the head or circumference? I know you said cranium but skull wise that is everything but the jaw bone (the mandible)

Thanks for information!

Thanks! I measure the length of the top of the head, from the tip of the snout to the peak of the dome, ignoring all horns and frills that may be present. Essentially, of you can imagine the cranium without any tissue, find the two points farthest from each other on the longest axis, and that's the length I want.

Given that some dragons have shorter or longer snouts, this doesn't always work perfectly, but it gives me a really simple ballpark to play in.

I considered dealing with wingspan instead of skull-length, but most dragon minis don't have nicely spread wings. The skull is always accessible.

• Like 2

This is extremely helpful, especially where you have broken up the miniatures into their size category. So a big thank you.

I was surprised to see the Pathfinder Red Dragon (89001) in the 'large' category. I havent seen the model in person, but I was under the impression that it was a Huge dragon. Is it somewhere in the middle there? Do you have the model? 

I also noticed that you didnt have Verocithrax or the Dragon's Dont Share (Nathavarr) in your list. Do you know where they fit in the size categories?

What I would love to see is a photo of all these dragons (or most) next to each other, with some kind of measure or something for scale. If anyone could do something like that or link someone who has, that would be very awesome!!

Anyway, thanks Arikiel for sharing! I really enjoyed reading which models you chose for which colours & the reasons behind that. :)

The Pathfinder Red Dragon is definitely in the same size grouping as the Shadow Dragon and the like. You could probably bump up the size categories I listed. As in taking the Young Fire Dragon and call it large, bump up the other "larges" to huge, and take what I listed as "huge" and bumping them up to gargantuan. I went large for the Pathfinder Red, Shadow, etc because they're roughly the same mass as the fire/frost giant minis (which themselves push the upper limit of large).

Verocithrax could be group on the upper end of what I'm calling "huge". Though I won't be getting him so I haven't given it too much thought. Nathavaar is definitely one size category above the others I've listed.

I'd love to do a line up of all of them in one pic if I had more then just my built in laptop camera to take pictures with. Mayeb I can figure something out with that once I get all my Bones 2 minis. /shrug

Thanks! I measure the length of the top of the head, from the tip of the snout to the peak of the dome, ignoring all horns and frills that may be present. Essentially, of you can imagine the cranium without any tissue, find the two points farthest from each other on the longest axis, and that's the length I want.

Given that some dragons have shorter or longer snouts, this doesn't always work perfectly, but it gives me a really simple ballpark to play in.

I considered dealing with wingspan instead of skull-length, but most dragon minis don't have nicely spread wings. The skull is always accessible.

The problem with this is much like dogs some have short faces and some have long muzzles. If I were to do this I would measure their torsos. From the shoulder joint to the hip joint.

Edited by Arikiel
  • Like 3

Thanks for the replies Sanael & Arikiel - really useful information. I have been putting it all together in a excel doc for future reference. I am hoping to eventually have a full set of chromatic dragons in 2 or 3 different sizes. 

I am also hoping to do eventually have 3 of the metallic - I think Gold & brass could use the same mini & same with copper & bronze if painted right (maybe?). Silver will have to have its own. We just dont come across many metallics in our Pathfinder games. Not that we have seen all the chromatic either >.<

I want ALL THE DRAGONS!!  :devil: 

• Like 2

I'm really kicking myself that I didn't grab Kaladrax in Bones 1...that was one of the pieces I compromised on that I wish I could go back and change.

• Like 3