Bones Dragons - What D&D size category are each of them in?

Yeah, the Kraken was a blast to paint, and honestly, I wish I'd gotten a second just for that ship base; it's really nice, and would be awesome for general undersea adventures.

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all.  I am new to posting here.  I had a question about base sizes in general for bones miniatures and came across this thread.  I am confused about dragon and giants for bones.  D&D seems to make their large and huge size miniatures a bit squeezed because they are usually made to fit into booster boxes.  Now their gargantuan line seems less constrained so, even though their dragons stand upright to make the most of the base size (4x4) but the features like body mass, wing size, head size are massive.  This throws off the true size of gargantuan in a miniature because the D&D dragon should be on a base (6x6) and instead squeezed on a 4x4.  

So the issue is this:  I own Narthrax, Deathsleet, Cinder, Pathfinder red dragon, Nathavarr (DDS2), fire giant bodyguard and the hill giants.  (sorry if I spelled any wrong)

So to me, the Pathfinder red dragon is large size (2x2) so I based him as so.  Deathsleet I based as huge (3x3).  I have not yet put Cinder together but he looks about the same size as Deathsleet, correct me if I am wrong (I did not look at him unpacked yet).  Now here is where things get funny.  Nathrax with his wing span and body size seems like he is slightly larger than Deathsleet.  I feel he either can be a large huge size creature or a small gargantuan size?  Hmm?  I feel Nathavarr for sure is gargantuan size, but his base wont fit on a 4x4.  I have 5x5 bases I could probably squeeze him on but I feel he is not equal to colossal size.  Is 5x5 considered colossal or 6x6 and higher?  Keep in mind I am stating these sizes comparing to the D&D miniatures and not so much how well the fit on bases, because Narthrax fits perfectly on a gargantuan size base.  Help?!

Also with giants... the fire giant bodyguard fits correctly on a large (2x2) base.  But the hill giants look and fit better on a huge base (3x3) even though you can squeeze them on a large (2x2) base.  The hill giants truly look huge so I feel that is correct and I placed them on such a base (3x3).  But in D&D and probably most fantasy realms, fire giants are larger than hill giants.  Help?!

Rakumi, colossal base needs to be 6x6 if D&D miniatures or 3.5 is your thing (Don't know about 4th edition, IMO it is a dead edition). If you are playing D&D 5th edition, any base 4x4 or higher is considered gargantuan (colossal category is no more), what is perfect if you have a bunch of Bones dragons. I'd also put Cinder at the huge category.

I don't really like Bones's approach to giants (storm giants might be an exception), though "Frorigh, Frost Giant" from the DHL line is just the best giant miniature I've ever seen. I find the hill, frost and fire giants exaggerated in terms of muscles or weapons. I also prefer the D&D design over the Pathfinder's. In the end it all comes down to personal preferences.

• Like 1

Hey Pedro, so what makes you not like the giants of bones?  I love the way they look.  Just the sizes seem off with some giants.  Also... i understand the base sizes of D&D, but my issues is matching what visual size goes with what base size.  What would you consider Narthrax and what would you consider Nathavarr?  

Also, I enjoyed the idea of colossal.  So now everything 4x4 and up is all in one category of gargantuan?

Rakumi, the Bones 2 hill giants are big. But for me that is a plus. I already have plenty of "large" hill giants from other manufacturers. I plan to use these for "huge" hill giants in fifth edition D&D or as mountain giants or paint them as storm or cloud giants.

Zoro, i love the way the hill giants look and their size.  Its just i guess you have to modify their stats for 5e if you use these particular ones.  They look awesome though.  Also a little side note, has anybody purchased the new prince of undeath (Orcus) for bones?  He was part of the demon lords set with the Balor.  What size did anybody base this Orcus character?  I am a bit confused because he fits perfect on a large base but visually seems better on a huge base.  He is not really larger than fire giants of bones line but his wings spread wide.

Dang… The new hill giants are noticeably bigger then the frost and fire giants? I was really counting on them being comparably sized. Oh well. Does anybody happen to have any pictures of the new dragons and giants side by side?

I have the bones Orcus and I plan to put it in a 3x3 base (huge), but he is a bit smaller tan most huges.

I totally agree.  He is a bit small.  I would have never figured basing bones would be such a headache.

On another note, how are you all going to base your dragons.  Inches per dragon name please, etc 3x3 deathsleet and so forth.

3.5ish, yeah.  Mind you I haven't gotten out a measuring tape or anything but I do have the Gargantuan Black Dragon and tend to use that as my reference.  To be fair (since I did go as far as to reference size classes) I can do ref pics next to the Black Dragon (Vinny) if you'd prefer.

• Like 1