Bones dragon wings: To pin or not to pin?

Pingo

Have people been pinning the wings of their Bones dragons?

How about the large ones, like Ebonwrath?

How well do those wing joins hold up to regular handling, or holding together while painting?

• Like 1

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't pinned my Ebonwrath's wings, and it's held up very well; most recently, I tossed it in a box with the rest of my minis and moved to my house, and it's still fine, even the paint is still intact.  Bones are a lot more forgiving than metal.

I did not pin Deathsleet's wings last year, and they are holding very well. (He does have a large pin through one leg to solve the bendy-ankle problem, and to hold him onto his base.)

If you get a good contact area, Bones seems to bond very well with super glue.

I have assembled both Ebonwrath and Deathsleet, and did not pin either of their wings.  Like Bathory above, I also used filler (green stuff, in my case) to help hide the assembly gaps.  I did that some time in 2014, and neither dragon has given me any problems with the wings.  I think the wing tabs/slots are large enough that pinning won't be necessary for most of the dragons.

That said, I did pin Deathsleet's ankles, which are a known issue as far as stability.  Even with pinning, he will need to be based to get him to stand up correctly.  I had him on a temporary base, which was enough to keep him upright.

EDIT:  Slightly related though not really a "dragon"; I did not pin any parts of Cthulhu, either, and he didn't have any problems through assembly and painting.

Edited by Magnus Mercury
  • Like 1