Sign in to follow this  
Grim

Gauthi Swiftfoot - Goliath Monk

Nicely done. The small base makes him seem a little top heavy, though.

Yeaaaah, you're very observant.  Point of fact he does topple over easily - he's both top heavy and leaning a bit too far over.  I did not forsee this issue when I based him, and I kind of needed to put him on a 1" base (or not very much larger,) regardless as he is medium sized.

Live and learn, if I had to do it over again I'd probably put him on a washer instead to give him more bottom weight.  Maybe 1 1/4".

Nice job! I love Goliath and I like what you did with his skin.

My DM lets me use a slighly larger base for my goliath since she didn't fit on a smaller base. It still fits well enough into the map to know where she is standing and keeps her from looking top heavy compared to the base.

• Like 1

Goliaths are so frustrating because they're basically large, but not. This is a fantastic piece of work and you're aware that a bigger base would have also made for a "cooler" scene. Pun intended.

• Like 1

Nice job! I love Goliath and I like what you did with his skin.

My DM lets me use a slighly larger base for my goliath since she didn't fit on a smaller base. It still fits well enough into the map to know where she is standing and keeps her from looking top heavy compared to the base.

Goliaths are so frustrating because they're basically large, but not. This is a fantastic piece of work and you're aware that a bigger base would have also made for a "cooler" scene. Pun intended.

Thinking about it now, a 1 1/4" washer probably would have been better - the above round base was what I had for a slotted base and anything else would have required me to pin him, since he's a slotted metal mini. It would have given me more options, to be sure, and given me a bit more room for the ice. As I said, live and learn.

Thanks for the comments!  The skin came out very dark - I probably should have brought up the greys a bit more, but I liked it.

Have you filled the bottom of the base with anything? If your FLGS has any old lead minis lying around, you can chop one up into really tiny bits like pebbles and pack the bottom of the base full of them and greenstuff or anything else with weight to it. Alternately, you could use lead solder if you have a soldering iron. Even for a guy that size, you can get enough lead into the bottom of the base to make him so he's at least not particularly top-heavy anymore.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

Have you filled the bottom of the base with anything? If your FLGS has any old lead minis lying around, you can chop one up into really tiny bits like pebbles and pack the bottom of the base full of them and greenstuff or anything else with weight to it. Alternately, you could use lead solder if you have a soldering iron. Even for a guy that size, you can get enough lead into the bottom of the base to make him so he's at least not particularly top-heavy anymore.

No, I didn't - that's a great idea!  I can look around for some pewter flash or something - worst comes to very worst I can find some sinkers at the local sporting goods store.  If they're small enough I bet they'd work...

oooor I can use some of the many pounds of copper wire I have lying around. :)  Now you've got me thinking....

• Like 1

No, I didn't - that's a great idea!  I can look around for some pewter flash or something - worst comes to very worst I can find some sinkers at the local sporting goods store.  If they're small enough I bet they'd work...

oooor I can use some of the many pounds of copper wire I have lying around. :)  Now you've got me thinking....

Go get the lead sinkers - You can bang them out flat with a hammer and then cut them into sections to fit inside the base... They're cheap and they've also got more weight to them than the copper.

Just make sure that whatever you put into the base, it still sits flat when you're done - an un-level bottom will undo all the work you just put into it.

Also, if you use lead, make sure you put some sealer over it.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

Go get the lead sinkers - You can bang them out flat with a hammer and then cut them into sections to fit inside the base... They're cheap and they've also got more weight to them than the copper.

Just make sure that whatever you put into the base, it still sits flat when you're done - an un-level bottom will undo all the work you just put into it.

Also, if you use lead, make sure you put some sealer over it.

Yeah, pound them flat, glue them to the bottom, and either put pledge or green stuff over it.  The latter would have the added benefit of covering it completely and helping them to stay in.

I'm not sure they make the small sinkers out of lead anymore, though.  Hrm... :)