Sign in to follow this  
rx2web

Dirty bones?

Whoa! I don't mean naughty, get your mind out of the gutter...

When I got my order it seems many of the pieces were dirty, with brown bits all over. As of they had been dropped in the mud then hastily washed off before packaging. Did anyone else have dirty bones? Is this normal? All the prepackaged ones from original bones were pristine clean. Just curious.

Whoa! I don't mean naughty, get your mind out of the gutter...

When I got my order it seems many of the pieces were dirty, with brown bits all over. As of they had been dropped in the mud then hastily washed off before packaging. Did anyone else have dirty bones? Is this normal? All the prepackaged ones from original bones were pristine clean. Just curious.

It's probably the mold release agent still on them. I always wash my figures with warm soapy water and a stiff-bristled toothbrush I bought specifically for scrubbing my figures. This also will help to make sure that your paint will stick to the figure.

Haven't gotten my bones 2 yet, but a few of the bones 1 figures I had painted were "dirty" looking like that.

I haven't noticed anything on my Bones II yet, but some of my first generation Bones had brown spots.  They painted over with no apparent issues.

• Like 1

My  Peryton's got black speckles in his wings.     It looks almost like something got into the mold like a bit of ashes or something else.  Some of it seems to be under the surface of the bonesium, covered but still faintly visible.  It doesn't seem to have caused any problems with the texture or detail of the figure so it doesn't seem to be worth complaining about in this case.    A few others have a discolored corner.  Sort of like if you hold a lighter next to a white plastic spoon or fork too close.  But they are small things.

Edited by Blubbernaught

I'm curious here.

Are we talking about surface, easily washable stains and grit, or talking about stains or burn marks fully embedded within the surface?

Because having the occasional dirty Bones, I can understand. But to have a big bunch of them, especially since they are manufactured at different times, have the same kind of dirt on them can mean that it was a packing error. Or like you said, feels like they've been dropped on a dirty floor.

It actually sounds like residue from a previous casting run to me. Which is to say that it sounds like a bit of remaining, differently-dyed PVC.

Alternatively, most sorts of plastic runs can accept some amount of recycled plastic from miscasts. Since Bones aren't structural, and are intended to be painted, I wouldn't be surprised to see that Reaper allows this (since it reduces costs).

occasional red or brown embedded flecks are often the result of the machine being chanced from one material to another - running a different mold with a different color, and then a new mold/new color, but not being thoroughly expelled.

It is unlikely that this discoloration will harm any paint job applied over it, although if you were not planning to paint yours, it may detract form the "purity" of the clean white model.

One of my frog warriors has green specks embedded in the top of his head. It looks pretty cool. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4