• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always hot glue Bones figs to temporary bases for painting - there is no problem there.  However, I wouldn't use it to assemble any Bones pieces though, simply because the bond isn't all that strong.

The Egg

• Like 4

I always hot glue Bones figs to temporary bases for painting - there is no problem there.  However, I wouldn't use it to assemble any Bones pieces though, simply because the bond isn't all that strong.

The Egg

Precisely what the Egg has said.
  • Artists

I did not test hot glue, so I can't comment from the POV of detailed experiments. I find it hard to imagine that anything would beat cyanoacrylate (superglue, I tested hobby quality from HobbyTown) for strength of bond on Bones. It beat out two part epoxy glue, which I prefer for other materials.

• Like 2

The Egg

I never thought of using hot glue to attach to a holder, I've always used Blue Tack... I just tried it... it works soo much better! The hot glue goes on, holds to the mini and to the stand quite well, but can be broken apart and cleaned off without too much trouble!

I think you've just saved me a lot of time and effort Egg. You rock!

• Like 5

The Egg

I never thought of using hot glue to attach to a holder, I've always used Blue Tack... I just tried it... it works soo much better! The hot glue goes on, holds to the mini and to the stand quite well, but can be broken apart and cleaned off without too much trouble!

I think you've just saved me a lot of time and effort Egg. You rock!

I do what I can . . .

The Egg

• Like 1

I tested it it on low heat (mutli-heat glue gun and glue sticks) and no damage was done to the Bones or to the Smarties bottle I was using as a base.

I may do some testing with the high heat just to make sure the bones can take it. I'll also try putting the tip against the material to make sure it does not cause damage.

I'll update the topic with my findings.

To echo above, I doubt that Hot Glue would be suitable for attaching bits together for long term however, especially given that hot glue tends to add more material, which can cause unfavorable results. Super glue seems like a better choice in this regard.

• Like 1

Tests complete.

Low temperature the Hot Glue gun does not get hot enough to damage Bones, even when the tip is placed right against the material for a few seconds.

The glue on low temp is still easily enough to adhere the mini (a Fire Giant in this case) to the holder.

However, High Temperature Hot Glue guns are enough to damage the bones material even from brief contact with the tip of the gun. Granted we are talking small divots, but still.

Edit: While the High Temp hot glue did adhere the mini to the stand quite well.. it did it almost too well, I'm having a hell of a time removing the hot glue from the underside of the mini now.

If you're going to use hot glue on anything bones related, I strongly suggest using low temperature hot glue.

Edited by jaryth000
  • Like 8

jaryth000, your findings pretty much match my own experience. I found the low temp hot glue much easier to pull off of Bones.

I pretty much avoided touching the Bones figures with the glue gun entirely, by putting the glue on the painting holder first and pressing the Bones onto it. If I'm careful, I can sandwich the glue blob between the mini and the holder, with enough space between them to fit a paintbrush and paint under the edges of the mini base all the way around -- without having to remove it.

• Like 2