Looking for a good mauve.

MarkA

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

My understanding is that pastel colours and those perceived as more 'feminine' don't tend to sell well. The palest Reaper purple is Amethyst Purple. I would try adding white or one of the off-whites (Ghost White, Maggot White, Linen White) to lighten that. I'd experiment with any of those and any purple you have. You could also experiment with pale Caucasian skin paints (Rosy Highlight, Pale Skin, paints like that from the Reaper line.)

• Like 2

<pedant>

We're talking "mauve" in the modern sense of "a soft greyish blue-violet," yes?

Not "mauve" in the Victorian sense of "an eye-searingly bright electric hot purplish pink."

Because the original coal-tar dye mauveine was pretty danged eye-watering, its only flaw that upon exposure to light it faded rapidly to a cold lavender-grey, thus giving later generations a false idea of the color.

</pedant>

• Like 9

<pedant>

We're talking "mauve" in the modern sense of "a soft greyish blue-violet," yes?

Not "mauve" in the Victorian sense of "an eye-searingly bright electric hot purplish pink."

Because the original coal-tar dye mauveine was pretty danged eye-watering, its only flaw that upon exposure to light it faded rapidly to a cold lavender-grey, thus giving later generations a false idea of the color.

</pedant>

That sounds... awesome :rock:

But, I have a sample paint of the modern version of mauve. Not that that is helpful at all.... :mellow:

There's an old SF novel called The Flying Sorcerers, by Gerrold and Niven, in which the protagonist, whose name is automatically translated as "as a color, a shade of purple gray". He's referred to only by the native's name for him, which is "Purple". I suspect that was a contribution from Niven, who does love a pun.

^_^

• Like 4