The Inbetweeners - A question for you colonials

Beagle

So have any of my colonial cousins seen this TV commedy? If so did it translate well?

If you haven't seen it, here's a link to the first episode: 

Beware, it can be absolutely filthy. And there is LOTS of SWEARING

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen it before, but I have enjoyed a number of British comedies in the past, and I understand "British" fairly well. A lot of Americans might have trouble with terms like "Normal School".

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

In the US a "Normal School" is a college for teachers.

Or was. It's an archaism now. It did give us the town of Normal, Illinois, which was once a railroad depot with a college in the middle of nowhere.

What does it mean in the UK?

State school. Here he's refering to a secondary school. It's 'normal' as opposed to a higher class private or public schoo*l i.e. school for normal  people)

*EDIT: Should note here that in the UK Public Schools are not state schools as they are everwhere else, but very expensive private schools. Look, it's our language we can do with it what we want.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 4

Didn't care for it. Somehow I just couldn't give a darn about the characters. Of course I find Brit comedy very very hit or miss. "Are you being Served?" Great fun, "Mrs. Brown's Boys" Utterly stupid. "Top Gear" Brilliant.  'Blackadder" awesome, but "Mr. Bean" generally not at all amusing

• Like 1

Didn't care for it. Somehow I just couldn't give a darn about the characters. Of course I find Brit comedy very very hit or miss. "Are you being Served?" Great fun, "Mrs. Brown's Boys" Utterly stupid. "Top Gear" Brilliant.  'Blackadder" awesome, but "Mr. Bean" generally not at all amusing

You didn't like the Inbetweeners, but you liked Are You Being Served? I need to go away and reassess my opinion of you ShadowRaven.

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 2

But many of us were adolescent school boys once, especially those of us who are male.

I think to 'get into it' you need to watch the first two episodes.

Although ShadowRavens comment about Are You Being Served has left me on shaky ground with regards to taste

That show has not, to my knowledge, made it to any over-the-air station I can get. (And that is all I expect I will ever have.) No BBC America for me.

E2A: I took advantage of having some fast internet, temporarily. Watched the episode you had linked. It was interesting rather than funny. All the little details, like knobs, door handles, lockers... that tell my detail oriented brain, 'this is not an American school' were fascinating. The US is the same tech-wise, just noticeably different.

But, I was supposed to be laughing.  :mellow: I kept thinking, 'ditch the badge', 'lose the case', 'lose the blazer', 'shove them both in your locker...! (you git!!)'  Do British school kids say "git" anymore?  But I guess all his complete failures at making any attempt to blend is the funny bit?

E2A: (Take Two): Some American schools do uniforms now (it's become more popular than in the past, interestingly, as a way to combat gang colors in some cases).

But in the comedy: It occurs to me all the unfortunate kids in the newbie batch had a different uniform (blazers) from the rest of the kids at the school.  :huh: I am sure the reason for that is obvious to anyone who was ever a victim of British schools...but not so obvious to victims of colonial schools. What was up with that? Institutional hazing character building by making the new kids stand out??

Edited by TGP