Class Schedule - Classes Go On Sale Wed March 11, 2PM CDT

Reaperbryan

Which one?

The Gene Van Horne Bones conversion class from 4pm-6pm on Saturday. 

Due to pricing constraints, we could only really do one class, and that is one both my husband and I can enjoy. All the other classes I'd want to do are either during a time we're still travelling down there, or are too highly priced for me *shrug*

I'm glad that you found a class that both you and your husband can enjoy.  The great news is that they will be putting up the gaming schedule soon and I believe all of them are free!  Heck, some even have prizes and Canadian candy (shameless plug for our miniature games).

• Like 4

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryan,

I see two classes that have the same title, but have different prices. 

Thursday 4 PM:

Andy Pieper    

How Not to Suck: Sculpting Edition

$15.00 each.

Friday 10 AM:

Andy Pieper    

How Not to Suck: Sculpting Edition

$25.00 each.

If that's a mistake, please fix.  If not, never mind. ::):

The $25 class has fewer people (maximum8) and we did place a premium price on personalized attention. The less expensive class is a seminar format with 20 possible seats, and as such, was priced less, due to less personalized attention.

I should add that there is also a $20 version of the same class...

HNTS: Sculpting Edition is primarily lecture with some demonstration and hands on (originally).  Ron and I decided to play with the format a bit and see what works best this year.  For the $15 class, it will be mostly discussion.  For the $25 class, I'll add in hands on demonstrations where you'll be able to try my tools yourself and work on blending putty and such (plus another special surprise to really make it worth your while).

Bryan: I don't see a $20 version of this class.  I'm only teaching it twice (Thursday and Friday) and then Basic Painting Techniques twice (Saturday and Sunday).  Am I missing something? 

• Like 5

I see a lot of people who are going to be very brain-fried by the time Sunday rolls around...

Yeah, I'm probably going to be one of those. But, I am coming to learn more than to play, so I'm okay with things.

I was really panicked yesterday about getting my first choices. But I suppose my interests are different from a lot of others since nearly all the classes are still available.

For amusement of myself and others, here's what I am taking:

Thursday noon-2 Zbrush sculpting

Friday noon-2 Create a tree

Friday 2-4 Airbrush detailing

Saturday 2-4 Weathering techniques

Saturday 4-6 Freehand designs

Sunday 10-12 Painting textures

Sunday 12-2 Painting small details

That z-brush class was my first choice, and it seems to have not drawn lots of interest. I suppose it'll be more intimate than originally planned.

• Like 2

I see a lot of people who are going to be very brain-fried by the time Sunday rolls around...

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think 4 hours of classes per day is really "brain fry" territory... I suppose if you did two days of 4 classes each, that would really be pushing it, but it's not like you only have 4 hours of classes a day in HS or college.

With my schedule, the thing I'm sad about is that I won't get to play much Pathfinder while I'm there!

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much about class load as I'm sure people know what they are capable of.  When I first started going to ReaperCon, I packed in as many class as I could (helped justifying flying out to Texas for a convention).  I'm used to seminars and practical application sessions so I knew my ability to take notes and absorb information was fine.  Other people may be overwhelmed with just 1 class as the content can be fast and furious at times.

Bottom line is that it is a 2 hour class.  I think that if you are able to take away even a couple of action points to advance your hobby, it is well work the $15-25.

But then again, I'm Canadian.  We all know that we don't think right :blush:

One thing I missed on the schedule were the 1on1 classes.  Was there a decision to stop these to free up time for the artists to instruct larger groups?

• Like 4

Which one?

The Gene Van Horne Bones conversion class from 4pm-6pm on Saturday. 

Due to pricing constraints, we could only really do one class, and that is one both my husband and I can enjoy. All the other classes I'd want to do are either during a time we're still travelling down there, or are too highly priced for me *shrug*

I'm glad that you found a class that both you and your husband can enjoy.  The great news is that they will be putting up the gaming schedule soon and I believe all of them are free!  Heck, some even have prizes and Canadian candy (shameless plug for our miniature games).

I'm hoping the husband can find things to keep himself entertained XD but he's not one to introduce himself or jump into anything

I wonder how early I'd have to be up to get into the "painting hot chicks" class for the walk-up seats....

It is my understanding that we are not reserving tickets to be sold at the door ("walk up seats") and have listed everything for sale when the tickets went live.

One thing I missed on the schedule were the 1on1 classes.  Was there a decision to stop these to free up time for the artists to instruct larger groups?

Essentially yes, from what Bryan said earlier, but also to allow the artists more time for informal one-on-one or one-on-several sessions in the main hall.  I know in the past few years some attendees have been reluctant to ask artists for help/advice in the main hall because they didn't pay for a one-on-one, which was an unfortunate side-effect of the one-on-one sessions (IMHO).

As for me, I'm just going to throw this out right now, if you want time with me, just let me know and we'll find time to talk and go over whatever it is I can help you with.  I'll even come out to your table and set-up as needed.  I can't speak for the others, but most of the artists I know feel the same way.

• Like 5

I wouldn't worry too much about class load as I'm sure people know what they are capable of.  When I first started going to ReaperCon, I packed in as many class as I could (helped justifying flying out to Texas for a convention).  I'm used to seminars and practical application sessions so I knew my ability to take notes and absorb information was fine.  Other people may be overwhelmed with just 1 class as the content can be fast and furious at times.

Bottom line is that it is a 2 hour class.  I think that if you are able to take away even a couple of action points to advance your hobby, it is well work the $15-25.

But then again, I'm Canadian.  We all know that we don't think right :blush:

Right, no 1:1 classes at least for this year. While quite helpful to one individual student, not a good use of an instructor's time when they could be passing on information to 5-7 additional people.

• Like 4

The games aren't up yet.  Can I assume the times we registered are the times that worked for you?  

I am under the impression that if there were any changes, Cheryl would have communicated them to you?

I had already communicated to him that his schedule was accepted as submitted...  

I wonder how early I'd have to be up to get into the "painting hot chicks" class for the walk-up seats....

No  Seats were reserved or held back for "walk ups" this year.

We announced this change in February*, and it was part of why we are limiting seats available to you to only 8/admission - if none are held back, then we must remove from people the ability to consume them ALL wantonly. Every year when this limit has not existed, we have had people purchase more seats than they can physically attend, many of which they do not even bother returning to the pool at the show for purchase.

If a class is Sold Out, it is Sold Out.  Walk-ins will be able to take classes from among those classes not sold out.

I don't think the system naturally prevents you from taking too many courses. I was signed up for 10 at one point during the chaos of registration. I think Bryan et al. will just run a "crazy check" against the database at some point to make sure nobody's doing anything crazy stupid.

8 per Admission purchases the rule - so Terminalmancer may be getting 10 because Terminalmancer might have more than one admission (say, buying tickets for self + one other person, often spouse), in which case there is a maximum of 16 classes allowed to split between the pair of them.

The database does not prevent double booking (although I considered that, but decided against it).

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/59270-february-newsletter/#entry1055960

Also in the newsletter that was mailed to subscribers:

ReaperCon Classes

ReaperCon 2015 Classes will be going on sale in February. Last year's online ticket sales sold out very quickly, and the lines for registration to buy remaining tickets in person was slow and long. We've listened to your feedback, and decided to reduce the problem by making more seats available, posting more of them directly online, and by limiting the number of class seats each attendee can have.

• More classrooms, more seats, and more instructors. We're increasing our total number of class spots available for attendees by over 60% from last year!
  • All tickets will be posted to the online store when classes become available.
  • Limit 8 class tickets per person. This will reduce burnout, the incidence of people buying tickets and then not showing up (which cheats another attendee out of a chance to take the class) and make more seats available for your friends. Last year 80% of our seats were bought by 20% of our guests, and we'd like to see everyone have a chance to attend the classes that interests them.

All Tickets means All Tickets. It does not mean "Most tickets will be posted and some will be held at the door for pick up that day".

The bottom line is that we *NEED* people to preregister for the Con and for classes.  We NEED to plan, and to plan we need numbers as accurate as possible. To that end, we need people to have preregistered and to know which events sell out and which do not.  We are not holding classes at the door specifically for walk-ins, although some classes will not be sold out by that time. Walk-ins have, in the past, had 1/3 of all class seats reserved for them, although they comprise less than 10% of the attendees, and this has created long lines of people who DID pre-register(a behavior we wish to encourage) waiting to fight for classes that were held for the small percentage who does not.

8 per Admission purchases the rule - so Terminalmancer may be getting 10 because Terminalmancer might have more than one admission (say, buying tickets for self + one other person, often spouse), in which case there is a maximum of 16 classes allowed to split between the air of them.

The database does not prevent double booking (although I considered that, but decided against it).

I appreciate that Bryan. This allowed for me to book seats in the same class for my wife and I. Or the kids together. Or parent and kids. Ect...

I'm just excited to be attending my first con and am thankful for any information I may gleen. I'm also excited about meeting all you crazy people! I think I may need to make a shirt with "Kharsin" on the back and all the avatars I've used on the front... LOL!

• Like 3