Class Schedule - Classes Go On Sale Wed March 11, 2PM CDT

Reaperbryan

8 per Admission purchases the rule - so Terminalmancer may be getting 10 because Terminalmancer might have more than one admission (say, buying tickets for self + one other person, often spouse), in which case there is a maximum of 16 classes allowed to split between the air of them.

The database does not prevent double booking (although I considered that, but decided against it).

I appreciate that Bryan. This allowed for me to book seats in the same class for my wife and I. Or the kids together. Or parent and kids. Ect...

By Double booking - the exact algorithm I was planning to implement (and did not) was

x = Admissions in your cart

Y = Admissions in your cart*8 (so, 8, 16, 24, 32, etc.)

Y is the maximum number of classes allowed total. 

x also equals maximum number of tickets allowed *per time slot*

as an example

Time slot Friday Noon to 2pm.  You have 2 admission tickets. You can buy 2 class tickets for this Slot. Whether 2 in one class, or one each in two classes. But because you have only 2 physical bodies, you may not buy 3 classes from noon to 2 on Friday. (neither shalt thou 5. cue Monty python, ha. ha. It is to laugh)

At no time was I ever planning on restricting each person to only 1 ticket per class, precisely for the reasons you outline, Dixon.

Anyway, in the end, I decided NOT to use such an algorithm for this year, although we may still decide that such a check would be useful for the future.  So far, almost a dozen people have reported doublebooking/overbooking (not overbooking by getting more than looted, but by overbooking a single time slot or a class multiple times)

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of people who are going to be very brain-fried by the time Sunday rolls around...

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think 4 hours of classes per day is really "brain fry" territory... I suppose if you did two days of 4 classes each, that would really be pushing it, but it's not like you only have 4 hours of classes a day in HS or college.

With my schedule, the thing I'm sad about is that I won't get to play much Pathfinder while I'm there!

One of the reasons I push for people to not overbook on classes is that this is the place to actually get a chance to practice that technique on site while you can still get to the artists. And unlike College/HS I can't just reach over and open the book, you need that opportunity to lock in that technique and while taking notes are fine they aren't always going to convey what the instructor was talking about. I feel that you will get a lot more out of it if you get that opportunity to work on it during the show and discuss what is going right or wrong with both your peer group and the instructors.

Not to mention that it has been a long time since I was in school and my mind doesn't retain information quite as well as it used to!

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 6

As for me, I'm just going to throw this out right now, if you want time with me, just let me know and we'll find time to talk and go over whatever it is I can help you with. I'll even come out to your table and set-up as needed. I can't speak for the others, but most of the artists I know feel the same way.

Very cool of you Andy. And I will likely take you up on that offer. I an enrolled in your sculpting : HNTS on Thursday and looking forward to it. But I have a figure that I need to sculpt a shawl / ribbon to drape across her back and arms and have no clue how to go about it. Hands on instruction would be a big relief.

• Like 2

As for me, I'm just going to throw this out right now, if you want time with me, just let me know and we'll find time to talk and go over whatever it is I can help you with. I'll even come out to your table and set-up as needed. I can't speak for the others, but most of the artists I know feel the same way.

Very cool of you Andy. And I will likely take you up on that offer. I an enrolled in your sculpting : HNTS on Thursday and looking forward to it. But I have a figure that I need to sculpt a shawl / ribbon to drape across her back and arms and have no clue how to go about it. Hands on instruction would be a big relief.

I actually did that when i sculpted Mary and Elizabeth.  Yeah, no problem, just remind me when you see me at the Con and we'll do it!

• Like 4

I see a lot of people who are going to be very brain-fried by the time Sunday rolls around...

I probably fall into this category as well.  I did try to spread around what I was learning.  Some conversion, some painting, some theory/lecture, and some basing.  Hoping that would ease a little on the brain frying by covering several different step in the process, not just focusing on one part.

• Like 2

I'm not too worried about it. I've got 5 classes (might go back for 1 more); the ones that are back to back are very hands on (converting bones) followed by painting, or vice-versa. I learn by doing as much as any other way. No worries for me.

• Like 1

I suppose it'll be more intimate than originally planned.

Many years back there was someone that was the only one to buy a ticket for one of Marike Reimer's class, so he got an impromptu one on one class. As I recall they were able to go over quite a bit of subjects.

• Like 1

One thing I missed on the schedule were the 1on1 classes.  Was there a decision to stop these to free up time for the artists to instruct larger groups?

Essentially yes, from what Bryan said earlier, but also to allow the artists more time for informal one-on-one or one-on-several sessions in the main hall.  I know in the past few years some attendees have been reluctant to ask artists for help/advice in the main hall because they didn't pay for a one-on-one, which was an unfortunate side-effect of the one-on-one sessions (IMHO).

As for me, I'm just going to throw this out right now, if you want time with me, just let me know and we'll find time to talk and go over whatever it is I can help you with.  I'll even come out to your table and set-up as needed.  I can't speak for the others, but most of the artists I know feel the same way.

We will also be giving the artists Ribbons which you have to talk to them to get.  

This is to encourage you to...

you know...

talk to them.

One thing I missed on the schedule were the 1on1 classes.  Was there a decision to stop these to free up time for the artists to instruct larger groups?

Essentially yes, from what Bryan said earlier, but also to allow the artists more time for informal one-on-one or one-on-several sessions in the main hall.  I know in the past few years some attendees have been reluctant to ask artists for help/advice in the main hall because they didn't pay for a one-on-one, which was an unfortunate side-effect of the one-on-one sessions (IMHO).

As for me, I'm just going to throw this out right now, if you want time with me, just let me know and we'll find time to talk and go over whatever it is I can help you with.  I'll even come out to your table and set-up as needed.  I can't speak for the others, but most of the artists I know feel the same way.

We will also be giving the artists Ribbons which you have to talk to them to get.  

This is to encourage you to...

you know...

talk to them.

Haha!

• Like 1

I resisted the urge to take more than 4 classes this year.  Yay willpower!  So I will definitely be available as much as is possible to learn, teach, eat pie, socialize, etc etc.  And I am a morning person, so catch me over breakfast as well.  It'll be good for me to put down the Sudoku occasionally!  But I turn into a pumpkin after 10-11pm...

I am the impossibly short lady with the diet coke. ^_^

• Like 7