Paint Thinning

I always hear "thin your paint". What do you use to thin your paints and where can i get some? I've been using water, but that's not the greatest.

For instance, I was painting some armor with Honed steel. Honed steel will get really thick quick, so I added a little water. It became way to watery and bubbly.

But more importantly I need something to wet blend better. I only recently learned that the way to wet blend well is to thin your paints and do lots and lots of coats. Water doesn't work so well for that.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly just do use water. Once in a while I will mix a dab of matte medium with the water.

If matte were not the current fashion in minis painting I would use a dab of gloss medium in the water, because it tends to be tougher and more truly transparent.

• Like 1

Actually, all I use is water. However, you can put together something we call "gunk". Its typically made up of water (distilled water might suit you better), flow improver and sometimes slo-dry. Mine was typically 90% water, 10% flow improver and a drop of slo-dry (and I know that doesn't really add up).

• Like 1

I use distilled water (we have VERY hard water in Vegas) and/or flow improver, depending on the paint I'm using and how thick it is.

This is the kind of flow improver I use:

Brand is "Art Advantage" and this has lasted me over 2 years.

71Y-K02rcTL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

Tap water.

I've got a wet palette that I stole the idea of using parchment paper from Jess's video.  Using a dropper bottle for water.

I find washes are one drop Reaper paint to one-two drops water.  Glazes are one drop water to one 'back of the paintbrush' scoop from a drop of paint.

I use water in a dropper bottle with just a dash of flow improver (and a wet palette).

You mention Honed Steel. I used MSP metallics when I first started painting and found them pretty gloopy. Now I'm using Vallejo Model Air metallics and thinning them with water, they get really, really thin (and a bit difficult to work with, but still the best metallics I've used). Thinning metallics is also dependent on the particle size of the mica or whatever the reflective agent is, things can fall apart oddly. And you really need to stir/mix the paint pretty much every time you reload the brush, it just falls apart too quickly to use straight from the palette without stirring.

I've found with metallics, it's best to paint an appropriate underlayer (dark blue, grey or black for steel, brown for gold, etc) so you aren't relying on the metallic paint itself for all the coverage.

• Like 3

I use water to thin and a wet pallette

If I am thinning an ink I will use some medium and flow improver

Otherwise tap water seems fine

Homemade wet pallettes are very easy to make.

Just need any type of container (I use an old metal cd case), a layer of paper towels, some non wax parchment paper (found in the grocery store baking section) and water (I use tap).

You can also close said container, go to the store, take a shower, etc etc and when you come back your paint is still usable. It's awesome.

You can google to find better instructions than mine :)

I keep two water sources on my desk. A small cup of filtered water with an eye dropper in it for thinning, and a large old spaghetti sauce jar with straight tap water for rinsing my brushes.

When I use a wet pallet, I use a short sided sandwich container with a couple pieces of shamwow and a sheet of parchment paper all cut to fit the bottom. I also have a few thick copper wires underneath the shamwow, to keep mildew from forming in there. I can put the lid on it, and go on a two week business trip, and everything's fine when I got home. A quick stir gets the separated paint back to the right mix/consistency.

And honed steel always gums up on me. I just add a little more water every so often as I work with it.

I use regular tap water.

Read and be enlightened

http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/15

Be aware that the article is quite old at this point and actually predates the creation of Reaper Master Series and was written when Reaper Pro Series was their main paint line. I know that neither Anne or Jen use anything close to the ratios stated in that article anymore. That being said there is still good information there.

• Like 2

Distilled water or, for some paints that need it, a mix of matte medium and water I keep in a 50ml dropper bottle (water is also in a 50ml dropper bottle).

Also, wet blending by thin layers?? I do not think that is the usual way TBH.

• Like 1