Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This was one of two figures I painted for @Fealron for the Secret Sophie this year.
His ideas were Metal, minimal basing for gaming use, a woodland creature, usually considered good but turned to evil, and a minion of a necromancer.
After thinking a while, I decided I could knock out all his ideas with some evil unicorns.
Here is the second. Maybe once the prior unicorn charmed by a necromancer does, he raised it as a skeleton, and put another minion on top.
Here are the WIP shots:
I magnetized the mount and rider.
I had a lot of fun with these, and definitely bittersweet to part with them!
Thanks for looking.
EDIT - This is now going to be somewhere I dump all my Reaper projects while (hopefully) not causing chaos by misusing the Show Off section. I'll pop finished miniatures that are individually worth looking at over there, too.
My first post on the Reaper Forum, so please be nice!
Not 100% sure where to post this as it falls into several categories. but here it is anyway - my Reaper Bones Hill Giant "Tribe" and their hillside display base. I posted these in my regular Warhammer forum but they are too far removed from WFB to gain much interest, so I thought I'd share them here in their "proper" home.
I've always painted miniatures with the "excuse" that they will be used to play games with, whether that be D&D or Warhammer or anything in between, so my emphasis is on table-ready minis rather than masterpieces. This is one of the first projects I've done without a clear gaming purpose, but because I'm a gamer at heart I still needed to put everything on individual bases for two reasons -
1 - "just in case" a gaming use comes up
2 - because gaming bases excuses a gaming paint job!
I decided on hex bases because I liked the way they tessellate
The paint scheme, choice of pets and landscape are inspired by my AD&D days, I'm constantly trying to recapture my youth! (Glad to say that Reaper Bones have finally made this sort of project practical and affordable, and I hope to follow it with similar projects using the other trad D&D Giant races.)
All 11 miniatures used (and the 11th is very hard to spot in these two pictures!) are from Reaper, mostly Bones. There are a few relatively simple conversions, mostly so I could use two pairs of giants without them being identical.
The major scenic elements (trees and rocks) are made from errr real trees and real rocks, while almost all of the greenery is from a range of suppliers (Citadel, Army Painter and so on)
I tried to position all of the models so that they are focused on something located just in front of the scene - presumably, a party of hostile adventurers!
I don't want to drown people in images, but if there is interest I can post individual pictures of each giant and some WIP pictures of the project, as well as the identity of that 11th miniature...
The biggest model I've ever painted, I worked on it in sections and then assembled it onto the base when finished. I made very minor modifications to Kalarax herself, mostly inserting a lot of brass rods to support joints, and using hot water to bend the tail around onto the base (which is 25 cm square!) There was a lot more work on the base, using rocks, grit and sand to meld the Bones "ruined temple" into a larger scene with common elements from my Vampire army (see sig below)
You may know the story of why the model is so big - apparently a communications error meant that it is twice the size it was ever meant to be? Because of this, I removed odd-sized base details like huge skulls and dinner plate coins and replaced them with "in-scale" objects like dozens and dozens of resin skulls as seen in the close up.
My "huge bony miniature" recipe is:
One can of Army Painter Undead Bone spray paint
A big pot of GW Agrax Earthshade (or similar brown wash)
A pot of Citadel Dry Tyrant Skull
A large flat drybrush
Let the model to the work! You can also use this to paint large numbers of smaller skeletons, of course.
I found it really hard to light and photograph such a tall model, I'll have to get him off his shelf and try and take better pictures at some point in the future. I chose the bright red tongue to tie in with the reddish muscle and the red roses (which are a theme of my Warhammer Vampire project) as a spot colour.
Who's Online 25 Members, 3 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)