Sign in to follow this  
aku-chan

50312: Wild West Wizard of Oz Lion

He looks very good! My only critique is that he could use a wee bit more highlighting on his pants.

Thanks. I'm in agreement with you there, I'd made some progress in pushing the contrast on my last couple of minis, but I seem to have taken a step back on this guy.

Who needs courage when you have a big metal hand and a six-gun?

Very true!

• Like 1

Excellent work. I echo what you already know about the blue.

I like that you have very few colors on your palette.

• Like 1

I certainly find that to be groovy.

Thanks

Excellent work. I echo what you already know about the blue.

I like that you have very few colors on your palette.

Thanks. He wasn't wearing many layers so I didn't have the opportunity to go colour-crazy.

A bit more Ron Perlman than Bert Lahr, true.  Still, I think His Majesty would approve:

Lion-cowardly-lion-of-oz-17649417-640-42

Thanks.

Now that would make an awesome mini to paint!

• Like 1

Why am I picturing him done with red skin-tones and a little modifications as Hellboy?

Nice to know I'm not the only one who sees the resemblance.

Great Job Aku-Chan!

Love those rich browns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Its really nice work but as has been said you need to really push the contrast and in this case its the shadows more than anything else. In particular the line between the beard and the face, the mechanical arm and between the overalls and the shirt. Deepen the contrast on all those points and he will really pop. I had to go through this exercise in contrast today when I was showing a mini to Clever Crow and he just said to get out the blue liner. Its amazing what happens when you actually follow your own advice.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3

Why am I picturing him done with red skin-tones and a little modifications as Hellboy?

Nice to know I'm not the only one who sees the resemblance.

Pretty sure that was intentional - it was my first thought on seeing the guy.

• Like 1

Its really nice work but as has been said you need to really push the contrast and in this case its the shadows more than anything else. In particular the line between the beard and the face, the mechanical arm and between the overalls and the shirt. Deepen in the contrast on all those points and he will really pop. I had to go through this exercise in contrast to day when I was showing a mini to Clever Crow and he just said to get out the blue liner. Its amazing what happens when you actually follow your own advice.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't do a lot of lining, but I think I'll take Lion out of the cabinet and give it a try (along with the other pointers I've been given).

When you mention his mechanical arm do you mean lining all its nooks and crannies, or just where it meets his coat?

I think that deepening the shadows in the nooks and crannies would be enough to make it better. To really make it stand out though you could deepen the bronze color underneath in the shadow with a brown glaze, brown liner would probably do the trick. You might have to re-establish your mid-tone bronze at that point and then do some very sharp and small hot highlights with a bright silver.

• Like 1