Raging Heroes: Dark Elves and Sisters

ahayford

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Resin is such a broad term, just like plastic, that one experience with a manufacturer does not mean all other resins will be the same. I've got 4 that I could pull out right now (Meirce, Kingdom Death, Taban and anything made my Valiant) and they're all different in their own ways.

That may be why I still prefer metal for most things as there's a consistency even with slightly different formulas.

• Like 4

I've got two plastic figures from KD that I got for black Friday. I'm assuming spincast is like their plastic quality or something? I like the details but I'm super clumsy. There's a reason I haven't touched the KD ones as much. Ones halfway painted but I'm terrified I'll drop it and it'll shatter. O_O

• Like 1

I'm trying to think whether I want them in metal or spin-cast at this point too. Cash and the others who backed, what's your assessment of the better material from the last kickstarter?

Re: RBG Spin-cast - I've heard these aren't as high of quality as the RH spin-cast (Tre's said so himself that there were different batches some mixed by people who didn't know what they were doing).

I intend to get spin-cast this time. I emailed them and requested the last bit of my TGG1 stuff come in spin-cast, but it was too late to change. The metal is ok, but given the spin-cast quality it's just an easier material to work without much in teh way of downsides. I'd say they're about equal as far as holding detail and defect rate (high and low, respectively).

As ub3r says, the early RBG stuff that Ed did is not an indicator of quality of his current stuff. I'm more shocked than anyone that the RH stuff was cast at Ed's place. I never thought I'd favor a material from there given what happened with Tre's stuff. But I do, so good on Ed for straightening things out.

MM, that KD plastic shouldn't be too brittle. Their resin is (I broke the Twilight Knight's sword), but the plastic has been pretty resilient, though I've only prepped one KD plastic model.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 3

The solo/Heroine models might also be more complex castings with more parts compared to the troops. That can really bump up mold and casting costs.

MissMelons, it will be too late to affect your pledge, but I can bring some Red Box spin-casts along with me to ReaperCon if you want to check the material out in person. It's a different beast from poured resin. (Same for anybody else who attends the con, but she asked about it first.)

Ironically the troops seem like the more complex castings thanks to the ball joints. The heroines are static poses, so they are typically less pieces. Most heroines only need arms and head attached, while most troops are arms, head and torso and belt items. Heroines typically contain more material though, as many have cloaks and things absent from the troops.

I think part of the savings comes from the design process, since a set of five troops is basically a single figure in different poses. Since the design is done on the computer, you can design a single trooper then adjust poses without having to resculpt or anything. I don't know enough about the process to be sure, but it seems like that would be a lot easier than starting from scratch with a new piece of concept art.

I picked metal wherever possible for the first project, but I will be getting the spincast across the board for the new one. I was afraid of resin because the few resin minis I have are very fragile, and I want minis I can use on the table. But this resin is very durable. I have done some twisting and bending of sprues, and it is very tough, thicker pieces are quite hard to break. They certainly can be broken, and snap when enough force is applied, but I doubt they would ever break under normal use. To test durability I assembled a Kurganova heavy trooper and tossed her around, dropped her from head height and bounced her off some walls, and didn't notice any damage. To be clear, I wasn't trying to break her, if I threw her with some real force she'd break, but I actually think the resin is more durable than metal, and it is so light there is no impact flattening damage.

• Like 7