Sign in to follow this  
Arc 724

Choosing a Faction

I am reading the CAV 2 v1 1 PDF that has all the factions with nice art work for the races. And I was wondering what people think about all the different Faction? What they like as far as: Combat style, Color, Lore, etc... 

*Also, if i am using the wrong wordage here let me know and if an admin would change it. please and thank you*

Adon 

Malvernis 

Rach Empire 

Ritterlich

Grand Temple of the Eternal Chronicle

United Terran Federation

I am leaning toward the Ritterlich at the moment. 

I was quite fond of the combat style, physical models, and model stats of Adon in CAV 2, but previews thus far suggest they will be changing drastically in CAV:SO. They were the premier long-range fighters, functioning best when fighting from a distance with good electronics and indirect fire support. They were also excellent for vehicle/infantry swarm tactics using the Scarab main battle tank, Hornet fire support hovertank, and drop infantry.

I never tried them out, but Ritterlich would probably have been my choice for a second faction army (ignoring my Core World Coalition forces, as they're just an Independent army list). Really tough units with a lot of firepower and decent to excellent mobility, only real downside was short range (again, some of this will have changed in CAV:SO). Lore places them as the most highly trained of all the factions, with their officers attending ten years of military college before active duty. The Rhino, Tiger, and Mastodon really epitomize the Big and Stompy in big stompy robots.

• Like 1

CAV2

• Having read through all of the printed books I really liked the Ritter from CAV2.  To me they felt like they had the most potential for "Joss Whetian" shenanigans.

CAV:SO

• I prefer an aggressive species that doesn't mind taking a few casualties, so I tend to favor the Rach.  Baring them I will likely play one of my independent Terran factions.
  • On the other hand my tenure as a long-time GM has me creating NPC baddies for story-driven battles.  Katsumoto Industries and the Bathalians are my current pet projects.

CAV2 felt like a 3:1 ratio of Star Trek:Star Wars.  A well settled universe where one could engage in "casual warfare", with a healthy side portion of politics.  I TOTALLY get the appeal of this, but I personally crave a much grittier sandbox.  

CAV:SO feels more like Wing Commander and/or Stargate.  Humankind embracing manifest destiny and butting heads with a stubborn and blood thirsty alien neighbor.  Yes, there are still politics, but it feels more like Cold War versus a UN Summit meeting.

In either case I am a huge fan of developing the "seedy underbelly" of an expansive sci-fi universe.  I can't help but want to run a campaign like an RPG whenever I start thinking about it.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 2

The Kickstarter was my introduction to CAV. I'm going with Rach for two reasons. 1. They have most of their range in the Kickstarter which is convenient. 2. I really like how they seem to play, both in terms of the stats on the models and their doctrines. 3. I like the looks of their models. Ok, three reasons. That and from the fluff blurb about them they sound Eeeeevvviiiiillll. Alright, four. Four reasons.

Can I just leave it at I like everything about Rach at this point? Seriously, I was going to pick up some Terran so I could have two armies and after looking over all the stat cards for them I just decided, "eff it! I need ALL THE RACH!!!"

When I first started wargaming I picked armies almost exclusively based on power level. After a while playstyle became more important to me. And now I'm at the point where fluff and aesthetics mean a lot more to me. 

• Like 3

I chose the (CAV2) Rach mostly on the models, but it turns out their play style fit me well. The Terrans are my second most populous force, but my second favorite faction for gameplay are the Ritterlich for their ability to either control the initiative deck or give models assault. The second one is really useful if you have a handful of Tigers.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 1

Knowing nothing about how to choose based on the states. I am mostly dealing with the Lore at the moment to follow.

How would ya'll recommend I go about choosing based on States/play style?

(preface: I'm a newbie when it comes to CAV - I've only ever played video games of mechanized combat, never table top.)

• Like 1

You'll really have to wait and see how the rest of the CAV:SO data cards turn out; the faction doctrines offer hints, but it's already clear (for example) that CAV:SO Adon is going to play nothing like CAV 2 Adon.

• Like 1

When it comes to choosing a faction, it is more about how the models look and what I can do to them with paint versus playing the stats game.  I like to play games.  Win or loose is the outcome, I enjoy the journey.

I plan to eventually have a decent force group for each faction, which is made A LOT CHEAPER EASIER now that they will be coming in BONES!

If you are limited in one or two factions, I would go with your gut.  If that doesn't work, but the names in a hat and draw one.  If you don't like it, throw it away until you draw one you do like... problem solved

• Like 1

Knowing nothing about how to choose based on the states. I am mostly dealing with the Lore at the moment to follow.

How would ya'll recommend I go about choosing based on States/play style?

(preface: I'm a newbie when it comes to CAV - I've only ever played video games of mechanized combat, never table top.)

First thing you'll notice is you're controlling an entire force, not just piloting a single mech.  This is similar to RTS style play, but without the ability to create and field new units during the game.

All of the unit cards Data Cards have been generated for everything coming out via the Kickstarter.  You can find them in the Construction Program (file>open official>pick a file>click okay).  CAVBOSS and his R&D guys are slowly making their way through everything else that remains in metal.  All of the cards with completed graphics get uploaded to the Talon Games website as well, so stop by there from time to time.

Honestly the only thing that really differentiates "play style" as far as the game mechanics are the Faction Doctrines.  Other than that you just pick your flavor of mech/weapons and go for it.  The tactics you use, how you synergize your models/SAs, etc is entirely up to you as a player.  Use the Quick-Start rules and get into the action.  Don't focus on what you don't have yet and instead focus on what you do.  When you get your hands on the full book you'll already know what you're doing, the basics of the game being second nature, and absorbing the expanded stuff will be a cinch.

Lastly, reading through the weapons, SAs, and Battlefield Upgrades is going to make everything that much clearer.  It's mixing and matching these abilities within a squad that is where "play styles" will emerge.  Ever played Magic, Pokeman, etc?  Use your Data Cards to build your force and think of the whole evolution as CCG deck building.  Makes the whole thing a lot simpler.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 2

Honestly the only thing that really differentiates "play style" as far as the game mechanics are the Faction Doctrines. Other than that you just pick your flavor of mech/weapons and go for it.

But certain factions are weighted heavily towards certain weapon types. Adon almost exclusively uses PBGs as primary weaponry, while Ritterlich favor GCs/MACs (depending on edition), etc, and with the more restricted model selection in SO that is going to skew your options.

• Like 2

Honestly the only thing that really differentiates "play style" as far as the game mechanics are the Faction Doctrines. Other than that you just pick your flavor of mech/weapons and go for it.

But certain factions are weighted heavily towards certain weapon types. Adon almost exclusively uses PBGs as primary weaponry, while Ritterlich favor GCs/MACs (depending on edition), etc, and with the more restricted model selection in SO that is going to skew your options.

From your perspective as a CAV2 vet?  Certainly.  

From a rookie's perspective?  It's less of an issue since we're looking at the game without that CAV2 comparison filter already in place.  The new game is fairly well balanced.  I have no idea what's to become of the SO Adon down the road but for now that's a moot point.  For now we've got plenty to work with using the Rach and Terrans (and independents).

Right now we're seeing a lot of MACs, rockets/missiles, and electronic warfare tech on both sides.  The lighter CAVs are sporting a lot of LBGs.  PBGs and AC (autocanons) are few and far between.

• Like 2

I couldn't decide personally, so I'm building forces for all six factions. 

Warning:  I am obviously a mini addict.  Anything I say should be treated as a cautionary tale! 

One of the things I always wanted for CAV was distinct unit performance based on faction, so for me CAV: SO is definitely heading in the right direction, though my lack of experience with the game (outside of CAV 1) means I'm having a hard time "seeing" how everything will play out in terms of strength and weakness, e.g., how strong would an infantry-heavy force be?  Will Adon still be viable with an almost entirely short-ranged army?  

Hopefully I will find out today - if I can get people together, I should be having my first run through of CAV: SO.  I'll try to write up an after action report if everything comes together! 

• Like 3

Warning:  I am obviously a mini addict.  Anything I say should be treated as a cautionary tale! 

One of the things I always wanted for CAV was distinct unit performance based on faction, so for me CAV: SO is definitely heading in the right direction, though my lack of experience with the game (outside of CAV 1) means I'm having a hard time "seeing" how everything will play out in terms of strength and weakness, e.g., how strong would an infantry-heavy force be?  Will Adon still be viable with an almost entirely short-ranged army?  

Hopefully I will find out today - if I can get people together, I should be having my first run through of CAV: SO.  I'll try to write up an after action report if everything comes together! 

Good deal! Cant wait to read about your game!

• Like 1

Good deal! Cant wait to read about your game!

Ditto!

• Like 1