Sign in to follow this  
Arikiel

Reaper Metallic Brown?

Hello everybody! I'm looking to paint one of my dragons in a metallic brown color. So I'm trying to figure out which of Reaper's metal paints are the most brownish. It looks like 9049 Ancient Bronze, 9125 Scorched Metal, or 61132 Drillbit Metal might be what I'm looking for?

Normally I'd go to my FLGS to compare colors side by side. The sample pics on the site don't always capture the color though. For example my Old Bronze looks quite a bit different the what I'd expect from the online picture. Unfortunately the store here doesn't carry all the Reaper colors.

So does anybody happen to know which of the metallic paints would be the most brownish (least orangish) in color?

Edited by Arikiel
  • Like 1

I used the  09125: Scorched Metal ($3.29) on my Sabertooth Tiger Man: 02785: Look on his Pauldron at the symbol on it. and that should give you an idea of what Scorched Metal looks like.

Also for better layering you may want to use 2 or 3 different browns in tangent with glazing.

Edited by Arc 724

I've had good luck using metallic medium as well as silver paints to mix with colors and product demi-metallics.

It's not too hard, but keeping the ratios consistent will be important.

I don't know how you feel upon this...

But I happily mix normal colours with metals to get a metallic colour I like.

So take any brown you like, mix it with silver or honed metal and you're good to go.

• Like 1

I don't know how you feel upon this...

But I happily mix normal colours with metals to get a metallic colour I like.

So take any brown you like, mix it with silver or honed metal and you're good to go.

Yeah I usually mix like a russet brown with gold to get my brown metallic.

• Like 1

an alternative would be painting him in something like clockwork brass or antique gold or anything in a brass/bronze/gold family, and then glazing the shadowed areas in one of your red browns like mahogany or russet.  That will tone down the shadows from a metallic standpoint, but if you look at metal, the shadows aren't as shiny anyway.  You could then use a bit of a brighter gold or pearl white to highlight.  It may end up looking more gold than brown, though.  But that is the technique of shaded metallics that Michael Proctor (clever crow) does and it really looks awesome.

• Like 2

Thank you for the  great suggestions. As I already have the whole rainbow of metallics (09051 + 09100 thru 09105), I was kind of hoping to add a brown to my collection that isn't too close to my 09102 Coppery Orange. I think I'll try the Scorched Metal that Arc 724 suggested and then on top of that do the brown washes that Corporea suggested. If that doesn't work I'll try that the mixing method which seems to be pretty popular.

Thanks again for your comments everybody!  ^_^

Edited by Arikiel
  • Like 2