Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is a Patrick Keith sculpt from the Warlord range and I have loved it since it came out years ago. She would be a really cool player character, I don't know why we don't see her more often. Great dynamic movement with this one. Anyway, I threw some color on her, so maybe she'll end up on the table one day.
It's the weekend - you know what time it is!
This little monstrosity was sitting on my desk looking at me for the past 4 months. I attempted painting it back in October and failed miserably at it. I was trying a blue/white combo that just didn't come out well. It also had a few issues with the fact I primed it with a black Vallejo spray primer that left it feeling tacky. The first round was a dud, and I often find that redoing a miniature is not the wisest thing because it can leave me feeling like I have to perfect it over and over again.
However, this was not the case this time. After watching the dreaded White/Black tutorial on RVE today, I found myself inspired to try again. Thankfully I had stripped it last week and it was ready to begin again today.
* Stripping this with Simple Green worked great. Left it in for about a 4 days, brushed it with an electric toothbrush (which is a must in my opinion).
* Sadly the tacky primer was not coming off, but it still took to the overspray of Stynylrez black over it without too many issues. I then sprayed a white ink over it. I did notice a slight 'crackling' of the ink over it, but I'll get to that later.
* Using the zenithal prime as my map, I starting by laying the darkest grey into the crevices and folds. Following that wwa the next grey up and again with the light "ghostly white."
* These were all close enough I didn't need to transition or mix much between the colors as the moodiness of this mini seemed to play well to the contrasts. I did get a little carried away on the hood with longer streaks instead of just highlights and did a mid-grey glaze over that to hide it. Worked better than I thought.
* The face and hands were using some SAMPLE that was sent to me in one of my Reaper orders that's this really, really, really lovely blue. I used it to baselayer, then lightned up with white. AWESOME. I love it. The blend between the ghastly skin and the robes really came out better than I hoped.
* With the new confidence in getting to white, I felt pretty good using lighter colors and having a sense that this could be perceived as a white appiration.
* Still the darkest grey wasn't dark enough. Tried adding black and going back in, but it kind of made it more spotty than I hoped.
* Used a Drakenshade wash to fill in some of the areas, but it's deeper than I wanted, but still does a decent job of not taking away from the other painting.
* Mouth - is there something else I sshoul have done? Maybe make it glowing? Make it dark black? I wasn't sure. Still need some help on that one.
I'll have to make the tombstone pop a little more and lay some ground effects down on the final basing when I get there. To say that this went from a total botched job to something I felt good enough about sharing, this is definitely a win. Big kudos to the classes with RVE and getting to test it immediately to try my hand at something I was weak at. WAY TO GO!
And as always - any feedback is kindly accepted.
Such a fun idea for a mini!
But then you have to paint all the dragon scales.
I was going for a more Asian skin tone. I tried to speed through this one since her sword was so bent.
WIP link below.
Who's Online 24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)