MSP 29849 HD Umber Brown zero density?

Bloodsbane

My Umber Brown I got with my Bones 2 shipment has pretty much zero coverage. Ive added an agitator and shaken it thoroughly so there isn't any hidden stashes of pigment at the bottom or anything. Calling it a glaze would be an overstatement. I'm guessing this isn't how it's supposed to be? How's the coverage of everyone else's umber brown?

• Like 1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to basecoat my bugbear with it and was a little surprised at how seemingly translucent it was.  I've never used HD's before, and didn't know what to expect, though, so I didn't think anything of it until I saw this.  Yes, my HD Umber Brown has some issues.

XIyYKTym.jpg  That's 3 passes of HD Umber Brown on the left (Approximately 3 drops of paint!) vs a single pass of Blackened Brown on the right.

• Like 1

Yes, the Umber Brown is quite translucent, quite different from the rest of the HD colors. I was disappointed with that in the beginning but now that I have had almost a year to play with it I find it quite useful and its really easy to create a wash or glaze from it.

It reminds me, somewhat, of Vallejo Model Color Smoke but without the green. Its become one of my favorite colors to use, especially nice for shading metals.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 5

I'm using it on my troll, and it is thinner.  I mixed it with the spruce green.

troll2_zpsvb5i7xqr.jpg

Admittedly, I thin them to get the wash effect, but it is much thinner than the walnut brown at the top. Probably better as a glaze then or as a first coat for bones like brown liner.

• Like 3

if it works like the Vallejo smoke on metals, I will have to pick up a bottle or six when I can. 

Not quite the same but close. Vallejo Smoke has some metal and green in it which is why it works so nicely as instant weathering on metals.

• Like 1

• Artists

The closest RMS paint to Vallejo Smoke is Russet Brown. It is quite close colour-wise, but does not have the texture or graininess of Smoke, which might be desirable for some applications.

Umber Brown is a bit of an oddity as an HD paint. It is definitely on the less opaque side. I suspect this is because it is very close to the artist's colour of that name. It likely doesn't contain much black, white, or other paints used to make transparent pigments more opaque for miniature painting purposes (but which also make colours harder to mix reliably.) It's not great as a main basecoat. Start with a coat or two of something of similar darkness in the same general colour family, and then paint over that with a few coats of Umber and you'll probably find that less painful. The translucency makes it great for shading, washes, glazes and so on, however.

• Like 3

The closest RMS paint to Vallejo Smoke is Russet Brown. It is quite close colour-wise, but does not have the texture or graininess of Smoke, which might be desirable for some applications.

Umber Brown is a bit of an oddity as an HD paint. It is definitely on the less opaque side. I suspect this is because it is very close to the artist's colour of that name. It likely doesn't contain much black, white, or other paints used to make transparent pigments more opaque for miniature painting purposes (but which also make colours harder to mix reliably.) It's not great as a main basecoat. Start with a coat or two of something of similar darkness in the same general colour family, and then paint over that with a few coats of Umber and you'll probably find that less painful. The translucency makes it great for shading, washes, glazes and so on, however.

I totally disagree with you Smoke being roughly equivalent to Russet Brown!