Sign in to follow this  
Arc 724

14391: Overlords Onyx Phalanx

14391: Overlords Onyx Phalanx

Not sure on the direction I want to go on this one. Right now I am working with 2 different colors: Gunmetal for the main armor and Honed Silver for the highlights, etc. I may end up tinting the metal, but i'll cross that bridge later. Suggestions would - as always -  very much welcome, seriously I would appreciate peer review style comments!

Here is two different lighting for a start comparison.

post-13341-0-68416500-1426801018_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Cool looking figure, what exactly do you want suggestions on? 

Color coding and what not. I got more done last night but dont have pictures. I decided on making the fabric in the BLOOD RED coloration. The one thing I want to do with this miniature is push my self in terms of highs and lows. I did well with the Lion Man in this but this guy is going to be even more so! I'll have another photo tomorrow 

Here's the direction I took Vincente, Onyx Chevalier Captain (and his dismounted version). Dark armor and dark purple with P3 Blighted Gold and black (highlighted with P3 Coal Black) accents. If you want some specific color combos from him, let me know.

Thank you sir! That is very helpful.

Is it odd that I actually feel like I know what I am talking about? LOL I really like this Hobby

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 1

I've always seen these guys as red & gold, where the regular Overlord troops are black & gold. Kinda of a elite Emperor's red guardsman faction.

• Like 1

I've always seen these guys as red & gold, where the regular Overlord troops are black & gold. Kinda of a elite Emperor's red guardsman faction.

Speaking of that! UPDATES

post-13341-0-74361300-1426877843.jpg

• Like 6

That is a broken arrow in his shield. FYI. I was quite proud of it. Since his spear is down he is in battle or read for it. Thinking I am going to make him battle worn.

• Like 1

Ok, so I sat on this guy (metaphorically) for a while now and got back to painting him. I wanted gold and I decided to take the harder route and trim the knee and boot plates in gold. I need bring the gold out more then shade them. I feel less direction on this guy then the past series I did and I don't know why (?) But, he is coming along. I want to try and get one done a week until I am out of miniature. Lofty but... Aim small miss small, right mel gibson? 

Still need to do some shading on the helmet gold feathers. 

post-13341-0-09821500-1429735144_thumb.jpg

Above: Look at the Fabric in the center of his legs. I have the trim shaded as if it is black but I am not set on that.

Below: If you look at the belt I used a a lighter shade of brown - cookie Dough - on the trim of the belt. My thought is to use the same color on the fabric between his legs for uniformity but I am kind of at odds of whether do to this. Need to use a life line and ask the audience. :)

post-13341-0-00084200-1429735150_thumb.jpg

post-13341-0-25223300-1429735155_thumb.jpg

I wanted to show the progress of his spear. The photo is not coming out right.

I think I need to study up on Mr. Dougs Shuttebug material again. My photography skills seem to be missing something. I think I need more lighting.

OH and I am thinking of doing a fully flocked based as if he is standing in tall grass. I thought of you Ub3r when I thought of  that idea!

• Like 6

I wanted to show the progress of his spear. The photo is not coming out right.

I think I need to study up on Mr. Dougs Shuttebug material again. My photography skills seem to be missing something. I think I need more lighting.

OH and I am thinking of doing a fully flocked based as if he is standing in tall grass. I thought of you Ub3r when I thought of  that idea!

I wouldn't worry too much about pics in your WIP unless you want to specifically show us something in better detail. They are WIP after all, leave the good photo set-up for the show-off section.

Yay! Basing!!

• Like 2

I used that thought as kind of stepping stone. Not mention I looked up Roman Centurions.  

So I had time to paint last night and I have to say I never been so dissatisfied with what I did in a paint session before. It was very discouraging. I could not line the armor plates with Silver to save my life.  

So I had time to paint last night and I have to say I never been so dissatisfied with what I did in a paint session before. It was very discouraging. I could not line the armor plates with Silver to save my life.  

I'll use the side of my brush to line things like that very lightly. Then you aren't pushing the bristles down into areas that you don't want paint to go.

• Like 1

So after the "blah blah" of the silver lining from last time. I cleaned it up and it looks A LOT better.

I also pushed the contrast in the TMM on the helm. What do you think?

*Natural Lighting

post-13341-0-88907600-1430777796.jpg

My first time Flocking: It didn't true out how I imagined.

I really wanted it all going in the same direction... at an angle... I need to find out how to do this correctly.

But For the first time it looks pretty decent, like he is walking through some nasty grass.

post-13341-0-93039100-1430777877.jpg

I remembered reading a post where some one dry brushed their grass; it turned out GREAT!

I was very pleased with the final look. Not sure if I need to add anymore color elements to the grass.(?)

*Natural Lighting

post-13341-0-17716300-1430777886.jpg

I still need to had some light and shadow to the slice marks on the shield. and reblend on the trim work on the shoulders Gold section. Then I will re review and move forward. 

*Meaning: that is actually how the figure looks and the light source is not effecting the color of the picture, overtly.

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Xiwo Xerase
      BattleTech is one of my long time loves for games and it's what got me into the miniature hobby.  I have actually been avoiding painting my BattleTech minis for a while so I'm hoping this will give me some amount of momentum.

The four miniatures featured in this WIP thread are, from left to right:
      Catalyst Game Labs Cyclops, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack. Iron Wind Metals 20-200, Griffin GRF-6S, metal (standing in for a Griffin GRF-3M). Iron Wind Metals 20-211, Archer ARC-8M, metal (standing in for an Archer ARC-2R). Catalyst Game Labs Catapult, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack.  

These make up the Fire Lance of the Marik Militia company I have painting off-and-on (mostly off).  The colors of the Marik Militia are purple, with blue highlights on one side and red highlights on another.  Here's an example I've already painted:

The metal minis have been based using Iron Wind Metals hex bases.  The plastic minis have been removed from their integral plastic bases and based on Proxie Models plastic hex bases.  All of the minis have been glued via glue gun onto little holders I made from spare parts (PVC pipe, a wooden dowel, and washers).  These are mounted via magnets on my normal painting holders (plastic tubes with a squared base).  The point of the holders is for easy removal from the holders for photography.  (This was actually my first time using a glue gun so if some of the minis look crooked compared to the base, that's why.)

The minis have been primed white using Reaper Brush-On Primer and then painted with a mix of Brown Liner, Brush-On Sealer, and water to show details.  (All of them but the Archer were painted using a 1:2 mix of Brown Liner and Brush-On Sealer.  The Archer was painted using a 1:1:1 mix of Brown Liner, Brush-On Sealer, and water.)  The bases have been covered (or filled) with paver sand glued down with superglue.  (I'm pretty sure I picked this up from @Weird-O.)

Here's an obligatory picture with Sir Forscale:

I've included pictures of the minis in spoilers:

Archer

Catapult

Cyclops

Griffin

I'm going to point some of the obvious mistakes to get those out of the way:
      There are some mold lines that didn't get filed down. There is some detail that should probably have been enhanced (for example, filing down more on the Griffin's missile pod and recreating that detail, or drilling some of the missile launcher holes deeper). Some detail in the Archer's missile launchers has been obscured by CA glue and will need to be recreated with paint.  (Gluing on the missile launcher doors was painful.) When the Catapult was removed from its integral base, it's outside toes were mangled. Neither of the metal minis are pinned.  This is a pretty big mistake and will be painful if either of then fall.  
      Some of these mistakes won't be addressed.  I'm going to live with that.

So let's talk painting.  The guiding principle, beyond the Marik Militia parade scheme is "rule of cool".   It doesn't make sense for weapon barrels and joints to be metallic but it looks cool.  The planned colors are:
      Primary purple: Amethyst Purple Blue accents: Cyan Blue Red accents: Phoenix Red Weapon barrels: Honed Steel, enhanced with the Bones metallics Joints: Tarnished Steel, enhanced with the Bones metallics Hands and other rubbers: Stone Grey Base sand: Yellowed Ivory Base rim: Gem Purple  
      I'm still trying to decide the cockpit glass color.  On the other Marik Militia minis I've painted (like the Black Knight above), I've just used Adamantium Black.

(An aside about base rims: When I paint BattleTech minis associated with a particular fashion, I paint the rim of the base a color based on the faction.  Since the Marik Militia are part of the Free Worlds League Military (except for when the League doesn't exist), the base color is purple.  I have a spreadsheet of faction colors I made some time ago, before the Bones paints came out.  It uses some HD paints that aren't going to be rereleased, so I'll need to revisit that.)

The challenge here is to paint all four minis to tabletop, in a timely manner, and without drybrushing (except the base sand, which will be drybrushed).  Let's see if I can finish this by, say, the end of July.
    • By Arimaythea
      My husband and I are about to join a campaign to play through the Curse of Strahd adventure for 5e.  My husband is playing as a half-orc sorcerer and I am a human fighter.  We decided to go with 03879: Gon'Tarr Orc Shaman and 14604: Joeliyn Sister of the Blade as our respective PC minis.  They will be the third and fourth minis I have ever painted, the other two being from one of the Learn to Paint kits.

My mini hasn't arrived yet but my husband's has so I've made a little progress on him.  I cleaned him up, glued to a square base, used some green stuff to smooth out his integrated base, primed him, and put some of the base coat colors down.  I've used all Reaper paints so far - their white primer along with Leather Brown for the leather bits, Harvest Brown for the wood, and a hobbled together mix of Camouflage Green, Military Green, and Warrior Flesh for the skin. 

I plan on doing a base coat of all the colors first to make sure we are both happy with the choices before moving onto washes and highlighting.  My shipment with my mini along with some bone colored paints that I need for Gon'Tarr's skull accessories should be here tomorrow!
    • By Rahz
      Let's see if I can finish one of these for a change...  Of course I neglected to take good pictures of the early steps... 

Mossbeard assembled, "primed" with Sepia Liner, which after a year was kinda gloopy...  Thinned with a little airbrush thinner, it went on fine though and gave really good coverage and gave the figure a nice brown on top of the grey bones.  The green then got an overbrush with Jungle Mist and then a wash of Vallejo green wash.  The brown got a wash of Vallejo dark Grey Wash and some spots with Vallejo Rush Wash.  I've since started with a over/dry-brush of Wolf Grey over the wood.  Torso, head and one arm done.  He's a big one! 

Thanks for looking. 
    • By SilenzZzz
      Good day, i have been painting for a little while, but recently i have tried to push myself further... this is my second mini to do for LGS painting contest (i won the first one they did) .... have about a week left to finish him. so i am planning a little more highlights and more work on the weapons....

if it wasn't for a local friend i would still be painting in blocked colors and calling it done, but he keeps pushing me to try more hah! 

i am open for input and criticism on him... :)

• By Silvervane
      Ok, Here I go starting another WIP.  I had the hankering for Frostgrave only no one around who wanted to try.  So I decide to finally give the Dark Alchemy solo scenarios a try.  I had skeletons, rats, and a stand-in for the alchemical monstrosity.  I looked around and thought, hey those WWWOZ Tin man painted up red and gold would look cool as the FIre-Flingers for the final scenarios.  I also decided I only wanted to paint them as gaming pieces.  I haven't really posted anything cause my camera broke, and I really haven't wanted to pick up another.  So I'm starting this WIP to practice with my phone camera, as well as post here a little more often.

Here was the first of four I need for the scenario, as it stands at the moment.  Photo work still in progress as well:

Unfortunately, I had a TPK in scenario 2.  The scenario called for Wizard or Apprentice and 4 of soldiers for the mission.  They all went down, and I rolled unbelievable less than 5 for all of them on the survival roll.  I'm less than inspired to complete these guys now.  but I'll carry on and hope that the apprentice can survive the final encounter with whats left of the warband when I finish.
  • Who's Online   40 Members, 4 Anonymous, 77 Guests (See full list)