Finally got around to basing up the 20 pack of rats from the Amscan "Super Mega Mix" bag of Halloween favors. {I've never seen this rat mold anywhere else] Drilled holes into the rat's neck and using Gorilla Glue to secure the tail tips (tails secured in place with rubber bands until glue cured). Tails were tucked to the side of each rat after curing.

Bases are 25mm x 50mm rounded calvary bases ( a.k.a. Pill bases ) made of custom ordered MDF. Texture just happened from the process of splitting the bases with a X-Acto then applying PVA & paint then drybrushing.

Rats got a bit of sloppy drybrushing to differentiate between each along with pools of blood and tail positioning. Not very good, but I'm glad to have these ready for tabletop.

And now I just got the idea  to use gorilla glue to make some "rabid froth" on some mouths...

post-12161-0-26148300-1426920400_thumb.jpg

• Like 21

I dont have a Rat pun for this... AHHH my joke engine is jammed.

Interesting. I can't wait to see what you do with these!

Well that's speed work for sure, but how cheap were they, eh? If you'd bought Skaven giant whatevers from GW you'd be thousands of dollars in debt :P

Unfortunately, the pack they come in costs $20 and seems only to be sold by the Party City chain. Over the years I tried waiting for the after halloween sale to buy the pack for 50% off, but I had no luck, so I just paid the retail last October. There are other Items in the pack, but most the other items can be gotten separately and often with better molds. 

Skeletons are 83mm tall, bats with the ugly diamond patterned wings have a 110mm wingspan and the bugs fit on 2" bases other than the centipedes. 

leftovers_zps7drk6h6d.jpg

• Like 2

Love 'em, don't have that chain here. Although I might look on a site that does direct import from Chinese manufacturer and is called "alibaba"; I have had good experiences with it thus far.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      And my last figure from this week, a giant rat,  sculpted way long ago by the immortal Julie Guthrie. I should have taken a comparison shot for this one, as he's really small, but you can probably guess because his base is one of those itty bitty bases I think used for 15 mm figures, not sure where I scored them from. They might have come with the familiars in some Stonehaven Kickstarter. 

Being that I couldn't take the Friday after July 4th off, because the rest of my department already had dibs, I ended up taking Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, as well as today and I've had some pretty productive painting mornings, so got lots done and this is another one of those figures:

He's slightly out of focus but he's really, really small.. One one of the angles you can see a little piece of flash I couldn't get rid of.

Anyway, enjoy once again! More figures in a few days!
    • By NyarlaBcn
      My work for this past week. 
      I don't have space to display big dioramas; not even for scenic bases. Lately, though, I've been trying really, really small diorama ideas or improved basing with a bit more life. An example was my Mucroack posted here a month ago or so. 
      Now I used that idea to combine two Reaper miniatures that fit together perfectly; special edition Halloween Knight & Halloween Tree. 
      I used a rusty bronze, green & orange palette for most of this work. Really happy with the outcome :) 
      P.S. Gallery on Instagram @albertnyarla , will love some new followers ^^ 

• By Rob Dean
      A little speedpaint job before breakfast today; after playing Burrows and Badgers at Christmas, my brother and I agreed that we’ll run some at  Gencon this summer. So, I need to work up another couple of war bands. 

For the Redwall fans, I gather this is not-Cluny the Scourge...
    • By DocPiske
      After missing last year I'm back. Good thing I started painting in August, just finished these last weekend!

First up, a banshee (77096 Labella DeMornay, Banshee). Not too happy with this one, still working on finding just the right way to use the translucent Bones. I like how the dress turned out, though.

Next up, 77097 Grave Wraith. Happier with this one, but still not quite right:

Next, another pumpkin golem, 03708 Freddie, the Pumpkin Horror. I think I'm only missing one now.

And what is Halloween without a spooky tree (03692 Halloween Tree):

Keeping with the pumpkin theme, here is the Halloween Knight, 01449. Color scheme shamelessly stolen from the mobs in Scholomance in World of Warcraft.

And finally, Halloween herself, 01450 All Hallow's Eve. She came out a bit more shiny than I intended.

Happy Halloween everyone!
    • By SparrowMarie
      So, for October this year I'm going to attempt to paint a mini a day. This will take the place of Minivember probably from now on. November's have just become too busy for me to feasibly paint everyday. This will be called All Minis Eve! I am currently in the process of making an advent calendar for October. I'll post how I'm doing it and progress, I hope to have it done before October so I can kick things off this year. 

How it works: I have tons of minis laying around so unless you want to or don't have enough (is that a problem around here?) minis you won't need to buy any (unless you want to). You will need 31. Once the calendar is assembled 1 mini will go in each felt pouch and you pull one out each day then plan, prep, and paint it. You have that one day to do it. Midnight to midnight. I will not get to pick out my own minis as I will have my Husband do it so it'll be a surprise each day. 

To start I bought: 
      Spooky spider web fabric Adorable ghost ribbon (1.5") Tan felt (three 9"x12" sheets) Black felt (three 9"x12" sheets) Fabric glue  
      I also have handy:
      Sewing needles Orange thread Fabric tape measure Ruler Scissors Fabric pencil Pen/Sharpie  
      I don't yet have a dowel and ends for it or photo transfer paper. I will edit the above later if I've forgotten anything.

Some pictures of materials:

Plans:

Above is a rough sketch of what the layout will be like. I have cut the tan felt into 33- 3"x3" squares and a 3"x9" rectangle. I will take 1 yard of fabric and affix the squares with fabric glue and sew them on as well for extra hold. I will leave several inches free at the top to put the title which I will cut out of the black felt. I will use a piece of ribbon to underline it and then put the squares below. 
  • Who's Online   36 Members, 1 Anonymous, 133 Guests (See full list)