So You Are Thinking of Entering the Painting Competition at ReaperCon

Quick Question, For Dioramas, does every figure in the piece have to be from reaper in order to qualify for a Sophie? Or is it okay for one figure to be from another company and still quailfy?

That's a good question. I might have to take that up with Michael. But I think it would depend on if its one of the primary elements or a supporting element. If its a primary element then I would so no, it doesn't qualify for a Sophie then. If its a supporting element then I think it would be okay for a Sophie. I'll try and have a discussion with Michael about it.

If it helps, the diorama is of 15-20 dwarves trying to take down a dragon. The dragon is reaper but would ALL of the dwarves have to be? (I'm not entering this year, but I will be next year.)

Mmmm, okay that does throw a different light on it the dwarves are both secondary and primary elements. Well at least we don't have to have a definitive answer right now, but I will get an answer.

And the answer from Clever Crow is that a majority of the miniatures have to be Reaper, and still visibly Reaper if you have done conversions. In this example not all of the dwarves would have to be Reaper dwarves but the majority of them would have to be. I might take this a step further when judging a piece for the Sophie. I would expect that the key or primary dwarves would have to be Reaper. so that would been if you have 15 - 20 dwarves that from 8-11 would need to be Reaper which would have to include your primary/key/important dwarves. Of course, Dragon, would is still likely to carry the most weight since its the true centerpiece of the diorama.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 7
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you are coming to ReaperCon and its coming fast, especially for those of us still working away on our entries. ReaperCon is a rather unique convention and there is nothing else quite like it out th

Yeah, I entered Damien into the Open catergory because it was the only thing I'd ever converted!  The model picked to judge in Painters was one I wouldn't have entered and ended up with a silver.  

I would definitely prefer not to be asked questions about placement prior to the contest judging. It's a different atmosphere/lighting/frame of mind. I also feel like if we said one placement in advan

Just wanted to post a little clarification on the Dark Sword Manufacturer's award, and what qualifies (thanks for pointing it out Heisler!).

Single Dark Sword figures are of course eligible.  For Diorama and Open categories, where pieces are more complex and sprawling, you may use other manufacturer's models, but the Dark Sword miniature(s) must be the main focus of the piece.  An example of this would be a DS mini accompanied by Reaper familiars or utilizing Reaper scenics/terrain pieces. 

Marike and I will be judging the Dark Sword entries with a possible guest judge brought in.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ping me via message, or ask here in the thread since it's now on my radar!

Hope that helps.  :D

• Like 9

So if two DSM mice and three DSM hedgehogs walk into a Reaper ooze...

Sorry there's a joke there somewhere. But the planned diorama utilizes these creatures and lots of magic water and I wanted to make sure it met the qualifications.

Roo

• Like 5

So if two DSM mice and three DSM hedgehogs walk into a Reaper ooze...

Sorry there's a joke there somewhere. But the planned diorama utilizes these creatures and lots of magic water and I wanted to make sure it met the qualifications.

Roo

Sounds like it qualifies to me!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I have seen a number of people talking about conversions in WIP threads. If you are thinking of entering a conversion in the ReaperCon competition please consider taking before, after and during shots so that the judges are aware of what you converted and how you did it. It can make a real difference in a judge's opinion on the quality of your work. Let's face it if you did your conversion well, we will never know it was converted (well unless its a Reaper piece odds are we will know on that).

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 4

My conversion project won't be done. So focusing on two paint jobs, one trying a triad color scheme...is it fair to say "expect nothing and you don't be disappointed?" :huh:

Also I didn't see this yet, but, in opinion only, does getting a mini(s) in the inspiration gallery mean much relative to a contest like this?

Edited by NomadZeke
  • Like 1

I can't tell you how helpful this post is-- thank you so much!

Combined with the information on the ReaperCon website, I now feel much more confident in what to choose and create for this year's competition. And luckily, this newbie has graduated beyond my initial "Wait, my miniature should have a base other than the plastic square that came with it?". Lesson well learned, and I'm looking forward to taking Proctor's Advanced Basing Class this year!  ^_^

• Like 4

My conversion project won't be done. So focusing on two paint jobs, one trying a triad color scheme...is it fair to say "expect nothing and you don't be disappointed?" :huh:

Also I didn't see this yet, but, in opinion only, does getting a mini(s) in the inspiration gallery mean much relative to a contest like this?

Not really. The judges are more than likely not even going to be aware of anything that's in the gallery or that it belongs to you. So having something in the gallery will have no impact. We don't compare back to it.

As I said, you may not agree and there is always going to be artistic differences (hey, I was in a band, we had 'em all the time!). But save that for later introspection and be in the moment and receptive while you're getting your feedback.

This is really good advice.

But:

In the end, the piece is yours and the artistic decisions are yours. You have to live with it (probably) and your name will be associated with it even if you sell it. Sometimes your vision requires something that judges don't like.

But realize that if your goal is to win competitions, you probably want to do things that judges do like.  ^_^

Also, comments about your craft (as opposed to your art) are much more likely to be universally valid. If a judge tells you that you need to work on smoother blends, you probably need to work on smoother blends to have a realistic chance in painting contests, even if you can't see the difference between your blends and those of the contest winner.

That last bit is critical, by the way. For many craft issues, you have to be this good* to be able to see problems that are obvious to an experienced judge. And to be this good, you need more experience and probably more critical feedback.

* :;): Still working on that myself, sometimes.

• Like 8

That last bit is critical, by the way. For many craft issues, you have to be this good* to be able to see problems that are obvious to an experienced judge. 

I agree 100% with this sentiment! In my experience, even if you don't see it (yet), you will as you progress in your skills. For example, go back to one of the first miniatures you ever painted that you were reasonably proud of. While it looked great back then, now it's a testament to how far you've come-- you'll see flaws in that old mini that you hadn't seen back then! With more experience learning & listening, you'll see more & more opportunities for improvement, and the better you'll get! 

• Like 5

And just because smooth blends bring all the judges to the yard, if thats' not your thing, baby...it's all good. I'm actually jealous of more painterly styles and if you look at the amazing spectrum (hah) of painting in the fine art world, smooth blends are just a thing. Not THE thing, no matter what some folks might obsess on. Of course, those folks tend to judge competitions.

• Like 1

My blends are about as smooth as the roads here...if you aren't swerving you'll likely destroy a tire ::P: being facetious of course. Though my question was more of "is there a standard for the inspiration gallery, or more of "as long as it doesn't look like you used wall paint, it's good"." I plan on only a few minis for this...one is almost done, still Nervous though.

• Like 3