Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I'd never felt I had an artistic bone in my body until I started painting minis. Well, now, I decided I'm going to try my hand at 2D art.
I am following along Bob Ross videos on YouTube. I will note, and this is probably very important, that I am using acrylic paint and not oils. I did not want to spend oil paint prices since this is a new thing for me.
These are the two I've done:
Day 1: I learned a lot, I needed to do something with my paint to extend the drying time. This would have helped with the blending. Overall, happy with it excepting the house.
2: I used some slow dry medium mixed into the paint today. Not sure if it was not mixed well enough or I didn't use enough but it only gave me like 5 minutes or less of extra working time. If anyone has any suggestions for how to use slow dry medium, please, let me know. I'm using heavy bodied acrylic tube paints.
I followed along until the end and I decided to add some darker blue and green. I think that helped a lot.
Another note, need to find sturdier paper. While this is holding up it likes to curl slightly while drying. The second one is taped to the desk on the back to try to minimize that problem. I am currently using a mixed media paper.
So how do I paint something with a marble effect? I have a sepulcher or sarcophagus, primed light grey, and I want to paint it like it was made from marble. Any ideas or tricks? Colors? Anything? Bueller?
If it helps, its the one from the Horror subset of the Bones 4 Kickstarter.
Today I wanted to show off some cheap 54mm Vikings that I painted up as Frost Giants.
I made these guys close to a year ago, and they were among some of the first larger sized minis I had worked on, so they're a little rough, and that's before looking at the quality of model, but if someone else is in need of a lot of giants like I was, then this might be useful to them!
So these guys are from Tehnolog, a Russian miniatures company that I know very little about. The minis are made out of a soft plastic like novelty toys you can buy with tickets at an arcade. They also have abysmal detail.
They're meant for 54mm wargaming, and I believe there's an intended game system that accompanies the line, but my goal was to get some cheap giants for D&D.
They fit nicely on a 2in base, and could probably fit in with the smaller Reaper Bones giants, but they're definitely a little undersized. I remedied this by giving them each a boosted base, with the leader getting two layers. At a glance, they tower over a standard medium sized mini.
The details were rough and there were some ugly mold lines here and there. But they're serviceable. They might work better as a half-giant if you want to use 5e's Huge Frost Giants.
More pictures of each giant below the Spoiler:
Tehnolog also has a few other lines of fantasy-esque minis if you're a fan of cheap minis. I am still considering getting one of their other lines to convert into cheap-o Fire Giants.
What's your favorite obscure miniature substitute?
Hi all. Still relatively new to the forums but I'm going to try to show off my work more often.
I was working on an arctic campaign before the pandemic hit and had already started work on a lot of suitable minis. Not sure when or if that game will ever resume, but in the meantime I've got plenty of minis to paint!
This time we have the Ice Troll. I'm satisfied with this. Especially proud of his ice chunk. I've never been very successful painting ice or crystals before.
Hope you enjoy!
So after too many years of painting with my bottles just in boxes or standing around on my shelf of shame or in various drawers, I have finally at much cost of labor made paint organizers! BEHOLD! I made these to hold up to 204 Reaper dropper sized bottles (Army Painter and Vallejo fit too). They aren't the only ones I use by any means, but they're the bulk of my paint collection.
Wasn't the hardest thing in the world, but honestly I might try another method if I do this again. Right now the units are loose, probably going to lean them on the wall--eventually I would put supports on the backs so they can stand up at an angle (think picture frames). The insane super duper bonus feature is that I can put the two together and transport, or more importantly, SHAKE all my paints at once! The main purpose was organization though and being able to see each of my paints and, when I've organized and sorted them, see the spectrum at a glance rather than digging through a drawer as I have been doing. For the chromophiles out there I'll post pics when they're sorted and in their proper places.
To make them, I sized the bottles and figured out the hole size and spacing (bottles are about 1" diameter, I used a 1 1/8" hole saw (paddle bit blew out the back side) and drilled 102 holes (sandwiched the 3/4" boards together). It took hours as my drills' batteries kept dying and the saw lost its good edge by the 60th holes or so. I used the "holes" I drilled out as supports (had to chisel the middle supports in half) between the silver parts and the 5mm (yes, civilized world, in the US we know how to use proper/metric, and certain sizes of wood are specified in metric!) plywood base (black, not really visible). I carefully glued and screwed these together. Decided to use up some spray paint I had lying around. Enjoy and be inspired!
Who's Online 20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)